Pre-Game Talk: Knock on wood...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
View attachment 505824
View attachment 505826

These are 5v5 numbers with Spezza and Simmonds on the ice together. I'd say that is relatively good for a 4th line, if not great.

This idea that they've been shit is only recency bias IMO. They have not been great since the restart of the season. Nor has JT or any of our elder statesmen of the team. I imagine this stop and start shit is very challenging for them specifically.

But by in large they have performed very well as a 4th line duo. Especially when you consider they've had a rotisserie of players on their line (Anderson, Clifford, Ritchie, Engvall, Steeves....am I missing anyone? Seymonov?)

upload_2022-2-9_16-20-47.png
upload_2022-2-9_16-22-22.png

Pierre Engvall brings them up a lot, which is exactly what I said.

Eye-test matches it too. They generally do not look good at ES, and in fact, recency bias has worked a lot more in their favour as the last 5 games or so have been arguably the best stretch of games they have had this season (mostly because they have played with Engvall).

The Leafs would probably benefit from adding a versatile 4th liner who can win draws, and then rotating Spezza/Simmonds in the playoffs. Someone like Brooks, but better at draws.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
View attachment 505850View attachment 505851

Pierre Engvall brings them up a lot, which is exactly what I said.

Eye-test matches it too. They generally do not look good at ES, and in fact, recency bias has worked a lot more in their favour as the last 5 games or so have been arguably the best stretch of games they have had this season (mostly because they have played with Engvall).

The Leafs would probably benefit from adding a versatile 4th liner who can win draws, and then rotating Spezza/Simmonds in the playoffs. Someone like Brooks, but better at draws.

Nick Paul would be a nice addition to the bottom six. Big body, plays with an edge, can play in any game situation, solid in the face off circle and a local boy who would probably re-sign here in the off-season. Wouldn’t cost a ton to acquire either.

Engvall - Paul - Simmonds/Spezza

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Did you not see how Simmonds stood up for Kase after that dirty hit he took, and absolutely pounded the Cane?! Can't put a value on what that does for a team.
It was great to see... he really destroyed Smith and a good message to teams of what happens when you run the Leafs.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Muzzin has also played in 6 games from January 1st. I wouldn’t put too much stock in those numbers as if Muzzin wasn’t injured on January 15th…

If you need a larger sample size we could look at the last 2-3 years instead.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sure. Can you pull those numbers up?

My pleasure.

Last 3 years, minimum 750 minutes (48 pairings total, muzz-holl over 1600 minutes):

Note: many of these pairings get secondary matchups (like the Mo-Brodie pairing), and not primary matchup duty (like Muzz-Holl do):

Screenshot_20220209-183246_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: TMLAM34

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Like we are SO BOUT OUR MONEY(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :clap: We HARD! And we got the money, the power, and the personel. Our suckas is HEALTHY!!! Their AIN'T!!!!!!! :clap: We love LIFE and still WIN ALMOST ERRRRTIME!!!!

Lets get it again tomorrow! Lets see if our current thug simmonds is also back then of having the new born baby. That makes him even more harder now.... imagine THAT.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Maybe next time we try to actually win the game instead of giving up and gooning it up.

Not all wins/losses are created equal.

I'm sure Matty and the boys love having Simmonds on the team, just like the other night when he was the only one with the sack to have Kase's back. Sure that was appreciated too.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That's awesome news for Matthews and the Leafs. Missing him for any period of time when we're in a race for home ice throughout the playoffs and to avoid a Florida/Tampa matchup in round 1 would have sucked.

Also not seeing him reach the 50 goal and 100 point plateaus he so rightfully deserves after all this time.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
We have insurance already. Dermott is an experienced versatile quality bottom pair+ dman himself.

Rookies do play in the playoffs. They don't just get benched.
Nobody is implying to bench them. The initial suggestion was to ride the top horses harder and shelter the bottom guys more

Similar to what every good NHL team does in the playoffs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nobody is implying to bench them. The initial suggestion was to ride the top horses harder and shelter the bottom guys more

Similar to what every good NHL team does in the playoffs.

The ducks had to ride those guys 30 minutes because their bottom pair were junk gritty vet plugs.

Reactions: Teeder Keon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad