GDT: Knights @ Ducks Part 2. It's Still Duck Hunting Season.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Close but no shorty....

But

giphy.gif

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
We've crawled back to number four in the league and tied with two other teams at number two in points percentage.

Colorado is giving no quarters so this team has to scrap for every win and then beat them twice.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
I know it's against the Yotes and Kings but we've really looked dominant the last 3 games, and I think adding Janmark and sitting Reaves really will solidify and give us 4 strong lines. Our defense and goaltending are real good and the team lacks some finish but they are very big and fast for the most part. We had well over 40 shots tonight and probably twice that many attempts. Biggest question: would Marchessault lead the league in goals if he could ever hit the net??????? And I don't want to get on Stephenson for having 42 breakaways and not hitting the net once. His speed is really opening up the ice for Patches and Stone.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I know it's against the Yotes and Kings but we've really looked dominant the last 3 games, and I think adding Janmark and sitting Reaves really will solidify and give us 4 strong lines. Our defense and goaltending are real good and the team lacks some finish but they are very big and fast for the most part. We had well over 40 shots tonight and probably twice that many attempts. Biggest question: would Marchessault lead the league in goals if he could ever hit the net??????? And I don't want to get on Stephenson for having 42 breakaways and not hitting the net once. His speed is really opening up the ice for Patches and Stone.
You're assuming DeBore is going to sit Reaves.....

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I love Channy but that can also be Karlsson's speed opening up the ice, with Getzlaf between Smith and Marchessault. I hope I'm wrong but you don't win Cups with Stephenson and Nosek centering your top 9.

Series by series they match up well in the West now against Colorado and Minny, but 3 series + a possible meeting against the Lighting? I don't like their chances without much talent or size down the middle.

Last edited:

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Win. But they have to do better.
We've crawled back to number four in the league and tied with two other teams at number two in points percentage.

Colorado is giving no quarters so this team has to scrap for every win and then beat them twice.

Little chance of passing the Avs unless there is another bad run of injuries. I think VGK need to keep their veterans rested, work on integrating their depth and then make sure they are ready for the Wild. Going 110% all out to maximize points only will lead to a burned-out team come playoff time.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Little chance of passing the Avs unless there is another bad run of injuries. I think VGK need to keep their veterans rested, work on integrating their depth and then make sure they are ready for the Wild. Going 110% all out to maximize points only will lead to a burned-out team come playoff time.

That's a fair assessment. However, Vegas wasn't often freight-trained by Colorado, losing one game by three and one by four. The rest of the games have been one goal affairs. Colorado should also be managing fatigue, and there is no reason Vegas shouldn't play well enough to win home ice back for playoffs if they can stay healthy.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
That's a fair assessment. However, Vegas wasn't often freight-trained by Colorado, losing one game by three and one by four. The rest of the games have been one goal affairs. Colorado should also be managing fatigue, and there is no reason Vegas shouldn't play well enough to win home ice back for playoffs if they can stay healthy.

The head to head games aren't really what matter in the standings chase although sure an upcoming two game sweep might help. The Avs just destroy all these bad teams statistically and that makes them hard to catch. Winning in the playoffs is a completely different consideration.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
The head to head games aren't really what matter in the standings chase although sure an upcoming two game sweep might help. The Avs just destroy all these bad teams statistically and that makes them hard to catch. Winning in the playoffs is a completely different consideration.

Playoffs are going to be a new and somewhat unknown season. As do the AVs, we also generally whip up on the bad team - we're 5-0 vs SJS, 5-1 vs. Yotes, 5-2 vs. LA, not exactly sure against Ducks but only 1 loss. That's not chopped liver.

As for the playoffs, I think we are significantly better than the Wild (though you might not know it from regular season), Av's aren't very physical and while they are extremely good, we do seem to play them well. After that, if we come out of the West it's a crapshoot, since we have no method of comparison. Everyone says our division sucks, but that's because 3 teams were almost guaranteed to make the playoffs before the season started, not that it's bad at the top.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
To repurpose this thread, Janmark vs Kings 7 PM!

Mattias gets his requisite first goal with Vegas tonight in a 5-2 win.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Avs have 4 more points in1 more game, not exactly untouchable, with or without resting players lol.

Grubauer also got a positive Covid just now, a lot of the Avs' success hinges on him.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Hope springs eternal :thumbu:
I like to call it basic logic. I personally don't care about catching anybody or anything. Vegas that is, I'd rather not catch anything myself. Covid? No thanks. So, as long as we get into the POs, preferably on a winning streak, I'm happy. But to act like Avs having 4 more points in 1 more game is like climbing Everest is just weird. If Tampa can be caught up to, any team can, except maybe Toronto, but that's because that division is awful.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I like to call it basic logic. I personally don't care about catching anybody or anything. Vegas that is, I'd rather not catch anything myself. Covid? No thanks. So, as long as we get into the POs, preferably on a winning streak, I'm happy. But to act like Avs having 4 more points in 1 more game is like climbing Everest is just weird. If Tampa can be caught up to, any team can, except maybe Toronto, but that's because that division is awful.

I said little chance of passing them, not zero. I agree with this here 100%, just get ready for the playoffs and don't let the chase for points lead you to do anything that isn't aimed at getting ready. Veterans need some rest, the lineup may need some work on the combos to use, and certainly lets see where Janmark fits best. Winning streak or not, almost nothing from the regular season carries into the playoffs, including how you did against a team in the regular season. I think that is the fallacy everyone falls into way too much, the series starts 0-0 and puck luck is a very real factor in a short series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad