Knee jerk reactions of other teams: Benefit to the Leafs

• Thread starter leafstilldeath*
  • Start date

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Because they at least make it to the playoffs before collapsing, something we have struggled with.

Is the goal of the Maple Leafs just to make the playoffs or compete for the Stanley Cup? With the San Jose players they are not contenders just pretenders.

Sure they make the playoffs over the last ten years, but what is the point of making the playoffs when every year the players fall under pressure? The Maple Leafs require players that can take the pressure especially in Leafs Nation, media, etc.

San Jose players would be killed by the fans and media here for playoff performances like that.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Holland definitely did a very respectable job at #3C, he was better than Bolland when he came back from injury (before injury Bolland was definitely better though). Find him some linemates who can battle the boards and cycle the puck (we SHOULD have one in Clarkson but you never know with him :help:) and it should be a decent line.

I've actually heard that Holland has been training non-stop since the end of the season. He's fully aware about the Bolland situation and how he might not be brought back, so he wants his best crack at the roster spot.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Yes, totally agree - he is what this team needs.

I can picture this up the middle:

Bozak - Holland - Ott - UFA or acquired by trade

Assuming Bolland and McClement walk, and Kadri is dealt

Lol ew, might be the worst center depth in the entire league.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The only team I think may have a knee Jerk reaction may be San Jose but worst case Ontario they just retool a little. They won't blow up as long as Thornton and Marleau are there.

They're certainly not moving good pieces like Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Hertl. Sharks haven't even used any compliance buyouts they may use it on a guy like Thornton or Havlat(healthy scratch game 7).

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
They made the playoffs last year, and went out and got Bernier, Clarkson and Bolland. The whole "bubble" team thing is just a cop-out. They expected to make the playoffs. You don't make those moves otherwise and you play the young guys more

Yes, they obviously went out to try and upgrade the team.

Just because you try and make your team better doesn't mean you made "knee-jerk" moves.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Go after teams that need cap - for our players on the outs
and make smart moves for players that are going by the wayside. (JvR style)

Lupul + 3rd(2014) for 1st(2015)
Reimer for 2nd(2014)
Franson + 3rd(2015) for 2nd(2015) + 6th(2014)

1st(tor)
1st(lupul trade)
2nd(tor)
2nd(franson trade)

Keep the picks.

Makes moves that help the future.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
After watching Sharks crash and burn I expect a knee jerk reaction from them where they move bodies. I expect similar reaction from Flyers, Tampa, Blues, potentially Dallas

We have assets to part with

Bozak sell high - known for FOs and with the productive season will fetch something useful from knee jerk reactions.
Clarkson: retain salary, history of being a grinder
Phaneuf: history of producing from backend
Lupul: 2 productive seasons with leafs but injury prone

Now is the time to start planning. I expect losers of 2nd round also make decisions in haste.

What you guys think?

that you're dreaming in technicolor.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Yes, they obviously went out to try and upgrade the team.

Just because you try and make your team better doesn't mean you made "knee-jerk" moves.

I wasn't talking about knee-jerk moves. I just don't buy Nonis's crap about being a "bubble" team

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I wasn't talking about knee-jerk moves. I just don't buy Nonis's crap about being a "bubble" team

the "bubble" comment was totally a CYA damage control hoping to save his job.

there's no way the leafs rationally go out and spend the aasets on a one year rental of boland if they felt they were merely a bubble team.

at least i would hope not.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I'm hoping for some knee-jerk reactions from teams who think they're ready to contend (Philly) and teams that need a shake-up to push them over the top (SJ).

My ideal off-season would be Kessel for Couture; and Phaneuf for Couturier. I don't know how likely either is to happen but I don't think they're unreasonable trades. SJ scored 5 goals in their last 4 games and Kessel is more of a gamebreaker than Couture (as a side note, Couture is only a year younger than Kessel so it's a young-ish player for young-ish player deal). Philly has been after a big d-man for a while.

I'd throw in minor assets with both players to get the deal done. This team would be set for years if that happened. I can only presume my dreams will be dashed, however, as Nonis will trade for Spezza so he can Kessel can put up 100 points while still somehow managing to be minus 40 each.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
SJ and Vancouver would be my top two choices of being motivated to move vets.
Targets: Couture \ Pavelski & Kesler \ Edler

Florida and Edmonton would be my top two choices of being motivated to move draft picks.
Targets: #1 and #3 overall draft picks

Leafs have options depending on which direction they want to go here.

San Jose and Vancouver have very short windows to win with there current cores.

Picks/prospects that are a few years away won't help them very much.

From Vancouver I'd be trying to add Horvat, 6th overall or potentially Edler who could be at a low value point after this past season but just turned 28 but would be a long term solution as he's locked up for 5 more years at a decent cap hit.

Nucks desperately need more scoring (especially on the PP) and Lupul + Kadri would help immensely well the Sedins are still key performers. In the case of Lupul I'd offer to take cap dump Burrows back in exchange if we get the asset we really desire. Then we can look to flip Burrows a season or two later.

From San Jose I'd love to get Hertl, Couture, Pavelski or Vlasic but I don't see it happening.

San Jose needs D depth on the left side so I could see them being very interested in Gunnarson. Tierney, Mueller, Nieto and their 1st rounder would be targets.

If they don't want to spend the compliance money buying out Havlat I'd float the idea of a Lupul for Havlat deal but they need to give us something extra for taking on his contract.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Is the goal of the Maple Leafs just to make the playoffs or compete for the Stanley Cup? With the San Jose players they are not contenders just pretenders.

Sure they make the playoffs over the last ten years, but what is the point of making the playoffs when every year the players fall under pressure? The Maple Leafs require players that can take the pressure especially in Leafs Nation, media, etc.

San Jose players would be killed by the fans and media here for playoff performances like that.

You cant win a cup if you don't get in. Sometimes you have to learn to walk before you can run. We aren't going from 8th worst in the league to cup contenders. You get into the playoffs a few years in a row and some real key pieces will actually consider coming to Toronto. Until we prove our team isn't a joke we are just going to keep getting snubbed by any free agents and blacklisted from players that have any sort of NTC.

I also think its funny you call people like Thornton, Boyle, Vlasic losers, they have won gold medals. This year they choked sure but they lost to a damn good team and there was some questionable calls. A guy like Thornton(isnt my first choice to trade for by the way but still) could bring Kessel to an even higher level. Having a pair of wingers that can easily hit 40 goals or in Kessel's case 50 with someone like Thornton wouldn't be a bad idea. Our PP would get substantially better as well which is one areas we need to improve on.

I guess that all you are after are players that have stanley cup rings? Its a shame any key pieces that have won the cup in the last 5 or more seasons aren't even being mentioned in trade talk. Sure you can go out and get people for the bottom 6 with rings but you need people to take the next step and become champions because Conn Smythe trophy winners aren't usually on the trading block.

Richards and Carter both lost in the playoffs before they got their rings in LA.

Our previous pick ups of Kris Versteeg, Dave Bolland haven't exactly paid off which is about the highest quality of players contending teams will let go despite them being winners.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
the "bubble" comment was totally a CYA damage control hoping to save his job.

there's no way the leafs rationally go out and spend the aasets on a one year rental of boland if they felt they were merely a bubble team.

at least i would hope not.

Completely agree

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
Don't forget the salary cap is not moving up as much due to the lower Canadian dollar that will have some teams be required to make roster adjustments.

From Spectors Hockey:

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-salary-cap-could-be-lower-than-projected/

Spectors Hockey said:
The Philadelphia Flyers currently have a projected $12.6 million in cap space. They must re-sign or replace Brayden Schenn. Kimmo Timonen, Andrew MacDonald, Steve Downie, Ray Emery, and Erik Gustafsson. With Chris Pronger on permanent LTIR they get over $4.9 million in cap relief, giving them around $17.5 million to invest. However, a $68 million cap reduces that to around $14.4 million.

Add in the Bruins and San Jose in this possible scenario. Other teams like Washington have most of their players locked up, but they may want to change some players as well.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
The only team I think may have a knee Jerk reaction may be San Jose but worst case Ontario they just retool a little. They won't blow up as long as Thornton and Marleau are there.

Has no one noticed this yet? :laugh:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I am all for rebuild but it wont happen.

Sign Statsny then ship Phaneuff and Clarkson to Edmonton. Then get a real number one Dman and forget about trading Gunner. At that point we might make the playoffs.

Statsny,Bozak,Kadri,Holland is not a bad C core but we need to fix that defense. Phanueff is not the guy.

leafstilldeath*

I think were gonna be the team that makes a knee Jerk reaction.

We don't have the cap space for it lol. And I do not think Shanahan is that moronic. Its the new era where players that have played in the NHL are becoming GMs and coaches.

GMs like Nonis, Burke etc... will soon be a rarity because they don't have the man berries or vision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad