Knee jerk reactions of other teams: Benefit to the Leafs

• Thread starter leafstilldeath*
  • Start date

leafstilldeath*

After watching Sharks crash and burn I expect a knee jerk reaction from them where they move bodies. I expect similar reaction from Flyers, Tampa, Blues, potentially Dallas

We have assets to part with

Bozak sell high - known for FOs and with the productive season will fetch something useful from knee jerk reactions.
Clarkson: retain salary, history of being a grinder
Phaneuf: history of producing from backend
Lupul: 2 productive seasons with leafs but injury prone

Now is the time to start planning. I expect losers of 2nd round also make decisions in haste.

What you guys think?

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
The only team I think may have a knee Jerk reaction may be San Jose but worst case Ontario they just retool a little. They won't blow up as long as Thornton and Marleau are there.

leafstilldeath*

The only team I think may have a knee Jerk reaction may be San Jose but worst case Ontario they just retool a little. They won't blow up as long as Thornton and Marleau are there.

They have choked in pretty much every playoff somethings gotta give. At least am hoping for Leafs sake ;).

What players do leafs have that might interest organizations like Sharks that have success but no cup. Other fanbases unlike leaf fanbase are pretty reflective of the results.

Tampa parting with MSL
Flyers parting with pretty much everyone that led them to cup finals
Sharks choking in playoffs again
If pens are embarassed by the Bruins again

Etc...

Its the same teams over and over and i think we are gonna get same 4 teams in conference finals as last year.
Henceforth expecting knee jerk reactions. I just hope we cash in before other teams do especially divisional rivals

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Islanders. It's not a "knee-jerk" reaction, but they do NOT want to give up a high pick in next years draft. They want to get better right now.

They also could use many of our spare parts. Scoring winger? Lupul. Offensive dman? Franson. Goaltender? Reimer. If they're open to a bigger trade, then maybe even one of Phaneuf/Kessel, and they have the type of high pick / top prospects to make a big trade like that happen.

SJ will probably be moving older players, which we shouldn't be targeting. McLellan could be a potential target though if they fire their coach.

TB and Dallas I expect to be patient, those guys were both mentored by Holland, and also both have some pretty young pieces. So it's not like these are teams that are in their primes yet.

Flyers/Blues? Maybe. Holmgren has never been gun-shy when it's come to big trades. And St. Louis probably feels like they need a major offensive boost at this point.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Islanders. It's not a "knee-jerk" reaction, but they do NOT want to give up a high pick in next years draft. They want to get better right now.

They also could use many of our spare parts. Scoring winger? Lupul. Offensive dman? Franson. Goaltender? Reimer. If they're open to a bigger trade, then maybe even one of Phaneuf/Kessel, and they have the type of high pick / top prospects to make a big trade like that happen.

SJ will probably be moving older players, which we shouldn't be targeting. McLellan could be a potential target though if they fire their coach.

TB and Dallas I expect to be patient, those guys were both mentored by Holland, and also both have some pretty young pieces. So it's not like these are teams that are in their primes yet.

Flyers/Blues? Maybe. Holmgren has never been gun-shy when it's come to big trades. And St. Louis probably feels like they need a major offensive boost at this point.

I bolded St. Louis - because they probably won't sign Ott - and he would be a great replacement for 4th line C.

Schennanigans

Dec 26, 2008
Etobicoke, on
The Islanders will definitely be adding roster players to help them next year. SJ will make moves for sure. Phaneuf + Lupul to the Isles for Dehaan + Clutterbuck + 2nd round pick

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The Islanders will definitely be adding roster players to help them next year. SJ will make moves for sure. Phaneuf + Lupul to the Isles for Dehaan + Clutterbuck + 2nd round pick

Maybe for Phaneuf lol I wouldn't let two assets go for a good prospect and a yard sale

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
The OP makes it seem like the Leafs are the ones doing the knee-jerk-reaction if they move all those players

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I bolded St. Louis - because they probably won't sign Ott - and he would be a great replacement for 4th line C.

Ott is a lot more then a 4th line center. He will also command a lot of money probably.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012

I'd do that in a heartbeat. We save tons of cap space and can bolster our roster with UFAs hopefully shorter term deals instead of more 5 and 7 year terms and we get Clutterbuck who is a heart and soul guy as well as De Haan who is a great prospect.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
SJ and Vancouver would be my top two choices of being motivated to move vets.
Targets: Couture \ Pavelski & Kesler \ Edler

Florida and Edmonton would be my top two choices of being motivated to move draft picks.
Targets: #1 and #3 overall draft picks

Leafs have options depending on which direction they want to go here.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Why the **** would Tampa make a knee jerk reaction? Their roster is so young, and they didnt have their number 1 goalie for the playoffs...

OP you crazy if you think any of the teams you listed would take the players you listed.

leafstilldeath*

This is the NHL. You're not going to see anything "knee-jerk".

IMO Nonis' moves were knee-jerk reaction to a certain extent.

We take Bruins to game 7 choke. Nonis thinks we are a good team which we definitely are not!

Grabo: compliance
Komi: complance

Phaneuf: 7x7
Clarkson: 5.25 x7
Bozak: 4.2 x 5

Its not like we had a good season last year. We were as bad as we were this year but got in playoffs with only 48 games.

Conclusion:

- we have no compliance left
- we have bad contracts for aging players
- we dont have 2nd round picks (Bolland, holland)
- we dont have much cap room

Similarly,

I am expecting some GMs to make moves like Nonis :crossfing

Where somehow we are the beneficiary.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I'd do that in a heartbeat. We save tons of cap space and can bolster our roster with UFAs hopefully shorter term deals instead of more 5 and 7 year terms and we get Clutterbuck who is a heart and soul guy as well as De Haan who is a great prospect.

I'd consider that, though i think Phaneuf could ultimately net a better central piece coming back then De Haan. Maybe if they threw in another 2nd rounder, or swapped Clutterbuck for Nelson.

De Haan + Nelson + 2nd for Phaneuf + Lupul.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Ott is a lot more then a 4th line center. He will also command a lot of money probably.

Yes, totally agree - he is what this team needs.

I can picture this up the middle:

Bozak - Holland - Ott - UFA or acquired by trade

Assuming Bolland and McClement walk, and Kadri is dealt

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Ott's gonna be looking for that last big contract. Probably something like 4-5 years X 3.25-3.5M. I think those are the types of contracts for depth players that we should avoid for now. We need to be able to fill those holes internally on cheap ELCs/cheap 2nd contracts.

leafstilldeath*

Why the **** would Tampa make a knee jerk reaction? Their roster is so young, and they didnt have their number 1 goalie for the playoffs...

OP you crazy if you think any of the teams you listed would take the players you listed.

Just like what Nonis did. Bad judement in evaluating this team due to the nature of playoff exit getting embarassed 4-0 might :)crossfing) force stevie Y to make some moves. As you said they are young they might need someone like Clarkson or may be Bozak as a 3rd line FO winning shut down C.

You underestimate the post playoff moves.

That said, i said i am expecting i.e. Speculating not that guranteeing lol

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ott's gonna be looking for that last big contract. Probably something like 4-5 years X 3.25-3.5M. I think those are the types of contracts for depth players that we should avoid for now. We need to be able to fill those holes internally on cheap ELCs/cheap 2nd contracts.

Yeah not really a need right now. We either need a big upgrade over Bozak and/or Kadri, if not then we might as well keep what we have, promote and develop.

Plus Ott wouldn't be much of an upgrade over Bolland other than health.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Talk about a lateral move at best, if not a pure downgrade.

Yuk.

leafstilldeath*

That picture in the middle=mediocrity personified!

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Leafs need to focus on recycling secondary pieces who won't be here in 3+ years for extra assets 23 and under.

All of Reimer, Franson, Lupul, Gleason, Gunnarson should all be considered on the block to be traded between now and next deadline.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

I'd likely add St. Louis and maybe Philly to the list of teams that may look to make some changes.

The one player I'd be calling Wilson about is Couture, I doubt he is available, but after a less then stellar playoff performance, you never know. If they're looking for some help on the blue line, and not losing and downgrading at center to much then Gardiner + Kadri for Couture + might be something that entices them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad