Recalled/Assigned: Klinkhammer up Rundblad down 3/8/13

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Brown actually reminds me most of pre-incident Bertuzzi. But obviously a poor man's version. Same kind of bull in a China shop style, though.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
It will be nice to see some new blood in the lineup. Half the games we won this year we didn't deserve to win, never mind the ones we lost. Make some of the regulars have to challenge for their spot and create some accountability. Players should only play if they prove they deserve to IMHO.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Brown actually reminds me most of pre-incident Bertuzzi. But obviously a poor man's version. Same kind of bull in a China shop style, though.

Thats exactly what we need. Torres is playing that way, and doing it legally. I have been very impressed with him. Love his forecheck and backcheck. Hustles all the time. Real happy for him.

rt

May 13, 2004
Thats exactly what we need. Torres is playing that way, and doing it legally. I have been very impressed with him. Love his forecheck and backcheck. Hustles all the time. Real happy for him.

Yeah, I was worried he'd be neutered and end up on waivers. Now I want him to get a two year extension. Brown is similar to neo-Torres, imo.

BigGumby

Apr 20, 2012
Moon Valley
Other than the shift where he turned the puck over low in the defensive end and took the penalty, I think Brown played well for his first NHL game.

rt

May 13, 2004
Really good game by Brown, with one really bad shift. Hopefully Tippett can forgive him. :)

Then again, Bissonnette and Johnson have been good this season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Really good game by Brown, with one really bad shift. Hopefully Tippett can forgive him. :)

Then again, Bissonnette and Johnson have been good this season.

I can't believe they sat him after that shift. I really liked the way he played. If Tipp benched everyone who makes a mistake Yandle would be having pine needles up his ***.
Speaking of Yandle, I thought his play tonight was great. Once he starts skating and logging the puck he makes things happen. It may have been his best game this year. Both Yandle and Doan did not play in the lock out, maybe they both needed time to get going.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Brown sent down as Vrby is about ready to return to the lineup.

Good news hearing Vrbys back bud. Hopefully we'll see a little more of Brown later this season. I was quite impressed with the physical part of his game especially considering it was his first nhl game.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't agree with benching a kid in his first NHL game after one bad play, then sending him down.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't agree with benching a kid in his first NHL game after one bad play, then sending him down.

I don't understand the last call ups period. Klinkhammer had a cup of coffee here, and Brown had like 5min. in his first game. Why go through all the time and expense. Unless GMDM needed air miles on his credit card to buy his wife a nice gift.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Boys, it may be something completely complicated or something very simple, but either way I trust GMDM and Tippett.

It could be that they wanted to "reward" the boys for a good season in the A by giving them a brief cup of coffee in the show.

It could be that they wanted to give the players a taste of what it is like at the big club to give them some motivation to continue working hard to get back up.

It could be that they just needed some insurance against further injuries and they had to ride the pine for a day and a half just for the sake of having extra bodies

It could be a lot of things, but there isn't anything wrong with calling them up and giving Brown 6 min of TOI and then sending him back down, nothing at all.

It's called paying your dues and sometimes you are called up with a shot at staying with the big club and sometimes you're called up with the intention of being sent back down and I'm sure that GMDM had a conversation with Klink and Brown that one of them would see a little time, but both would be sent back down.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
I don't understand the last call ups period. Klinkhammer had a cup of coffee here, and Brown had like 5min. in his first game. Why go through all the time and expense. Unless GMDM needed air miles on his credit card to buy his wife a nice gift.

Its a combo of not knowing how long Vrby would be out for and rewarding guys who have been doing well in Portland.

As far as people complaining about Brown being "benched for one bad play", I think people need to realize that Tip had him matched against the Ducks fourth line (which had about 100 career NHL games between them last night). Boudreau shortened his bench in the third so he could role his big guns, who were all playing very well last night, to try and get the win. Torres had just one more shift than Brown in the third period. If Chip hadn't been going 0 fer on draws to Koivu I'm willing to bet Gordon would have only had a few shifts himself. This isn't part of some grand conspiracy that Tip has to keep the young guys down, he was matching lines late in a tie game against our division leading team whose heavy lifters were doing some heavy lifting last night.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Its a combo of not knowing how long Vrby would be out for and rewarding guys who have been doing well in Portland.

As far as people complaining about Brown being "benched for one bad play", I think people need to realize that Tip had him matched against the Ducks fourth line (which had about 100 career NHL games between them last night). Boudreau shortened his bench in the third so he could role his big guns, who were all playing very well last night, to try and get the win. Torres had just one more shift than Brown in the third period. If Chip hadn't been going 0 fer on draws to Koivu I'm willing to bet Gordon would have only had a few shifts himself. This isn't part of some grand conspiracy that Tip has to keep the young guys down, he was matching lines late in a tie game against our division leading team whose heavy lifters were doing some heavy lifting last night.

Good observation. Alot of the teams are starting to rotate their defenseman so they won't be burned out for the playoffs. Maybe having so many defense injuries may help us in the long run.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
(youtube clip deleted)

I've watched this highlight roughly a hundred times.

If Chris gets called up and scratched I'm rioting.

Also: Anyone know where I can get a cartoonishly large Texas flag? :laugh:

(FYI, if he ever does get called up and sticks here, the Texas flag thing won't happen. In general we're not big fans of Texas in AZ. )

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Boys, it may be something completely complicated or something very simple, but either way I trust GMDM and Tippett.

It could be that they wanted to "reward" the boys for a good season in the A by giving them a brief cup of coffee in the show.

It could be that they wanted to give the players a taste of what it is like at the big club to give them some motivation to continue working hard to get back up.

It could be that they just needed some insurance against further injuries and they had to ride the pine for a day and a half just for the sake of having extra bodies

It could be a lot of things, but there isn't anything wrong with calling them up and giving Brown 6 min of TOI and then sending him back down, nothing at all.

It's called paying your dues and sometimes you are called up with a shot at staying with the big club and sometimes you're called up with the intention of being sent back down and I'm sure that GMDM had a conversation with Klink and Brown that one of them would see a little time, but both would be sent back down.

Yup... All the of the above highlighted.

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Guessing Sclem is closer to returning than Vrb, and Stone has officially won the 7the defenseman spot, letting them send Rundy down for forward depth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad