Klingberg most valuable trade value in the NHl ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
This season I would honestly say Klingberg is the best defenseman in the league. He has zero flaws in his game. He is a beneficial player to his team in every metric and is leading Dman in points.

However if we're talking about since Klingberg has entered the league (Aka 2014-2015):

Here's the Dman I take over him (In no order);
Karlsson
Hedman
Subban
Keith
Doughty
Giordano
Pietrangelo
Josi

Prior to this season I'd also take these Dman over Klingberg:
Burns
Brodie
Slavin
Vlasic
OEL
Letang

But with this season, since 2014-2015, Klingberg has been better than the 2nd tier I mentioned.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Of course without that cap circumventing contract that brought the average down he'd be >8.7 cap hit and they would have 1 cup only.
Not really circumventing when he will probably finish the contract. If he ends it a couple years early sure but I doubt it. He will only be 37 when it ends he doesn't seem the type to retire at 34/35 if he can keep playing .

But lots of other players are worth more than klingberg anyways

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not really circumventing when he will probably finish the contract. If he ends it a couple years early sure but I doubt it. But lots of other players are worth more than klingberg anyways

As players ? Yeah of course . Still think he has one of the most valueable contracts currently in the league . You have one of your best players on a big discount for many years that leaves open capspace to add other pieces. Not that easy with a contract like McDavid , Price or *gulp* Ekblad.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I Can name about 20 better overall defenseman, top 5?

He's not better than

Doughty
Hedman
Jones
Provorov
Slavin
Gostisbehere
McAvoy
Vlasic
Werenski
Karlsson
Subban
Josi
Burns
Keith
Lindholm
Tanev
Gio
OEL

Ect

Before I even saw the list I knew it would include Provorov and Gostisbehere lol

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
As players ? Yeah of course . Still think he has one of the most valueable contracts currently in the league . You have one of your best players on a big discount for many years that leaves open capspace to add other pieces. Not that easy with a contract like McDavid , Price or *gulp* Ekblad.
Yeah the contract gives him a tonne of extra value it's basically a Josi contract right ? But it won't make him most valuable player plus contract till he puts up karlsson numbers for a couple years

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He’s the third most valuable on his team lol...
For the Flames I'd rather have Seguin yes, but is more valuable than Benn to almost every team in the league, and there are a ton of teams that would rather take Klingberg over Seguin (Oilers, Pens, Coyotes, Kings (Seguin isn't beating Kopitar, and Klingberg on the 2nd pair is far more valuable than Seguin on the 2nd line), Panthers, Lightning (As surprising as it sounds), Maple Leafs, etc.)

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I would disagree, Klingberg at 4.2 is more valuable then Mcdavid at 12 million if you’re trying to win a cup.

Hockey is a business. If McDavid was available, all 30 teams would be lining up to give up anything because of the marketing potential. McDavid easily has more value than Klingberg who millions aren't going to turn the channel to watch

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Hockey is a business. If McDavid was available, all 30 teams would be lining up to give up anything because of the marketing potential. McDavid easily has more value than Klingberg who millions aren't going to turn the channel to watch
I agree with your overall point but you don't actually think millions are watching McDavid do you ?

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Klingberg has one of the best contracts in the league. However there are better players with worse contracts that is worth more in a trade.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
This list is a joke.
Let me fix it for you

Doughty
Hedman
Vlasic
Karlsson
Subban
Josie
Burns
Lindholm
Carlson
^ are the only people above him

Then you'd have the next group
Klingberg,
Provorov,
Werenski,
Gostisbehere,
Slavin,
Rielly,
Jones,
OEL,
Keith,
Giordano
who you could all argue round out the top 10.

And after all of them you'd then have
McAvoy

You seem to have forgotten Alex Pietrangelo.

Reactions: stl76 and Spazkat

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Okay really? Let's cool it a little bit. I'm a Stars fan and yeah he is a very valuable player, but definitely not even near the most valuable in the league. Biggest steal of a contract? Probably. But most value? Definitely not. Maybe among dmen he is one of the most valuable, but still this thread should probably be closed. He is definitely a valuable player and would cost a fortune to get, but to say he is the most valuable in the entire league is quite a stretch

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

He's not better than

Doughty
Hedman
Jones
Provorov
Slavin
Gostisbehere
McAvoy
Vlasic
Werenski
Karlsson
Subban
Josi
Burns
Keith
Lindholm
Tanev
Gio
OEL

Ect

Would take Klingberg over:
OEL (really? This is a no-brainer)
Giordano
Tanev (Not even on the same level of value as Klingberg)
Keith (old)
Karlsson (injury factor and contract)
Burns (Maybe, but unlikely)
Vlasic (better defensively, but no)
McAvoy (gonna be good, but for now I want Klingberg)
Gostisbehere (love his shot, but he isn't as good as Klingberg)
Provorov (great dman, but would rather have Klingberg)
Lindholm (tough one)
Slavin (tough one)

Everyone else I'd take over Klingberg if I needed defense. If I need offense and already had a solid defense then I'd go for Klingberg.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
So klingberg is arguably the best offense defenman in the NHL and a top 5 overall defenseman overall in the nhl signed to 5 more years at 4.2 million a year.

Is there anyone in the NHL who holds more value in a trade then klingberg ?

I think Klingberg is more valuable to the Stars, than he is trading away. What assets do you think you could get back that's going to replace him? Or makes the team better?

The best trade value for the Stars is they keep his ass. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence...till you can't go back.

I wouldn't want to try and fathom of trading a great offensive dman away thinking you'll get some scale tipping return. Moving Klingberg would probably end up making the Stars worse.

Appreciate what you have. :ipeace

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

He's not better than

Doughty
Hedman
Jones
Provorov
Slavin
Gostisbehere
McAvoy
Vlasic
Werenski
Karlsson
Subban
Josi
Burns
Keith
Lindholm
Tanev
Gio
OEL

Ect
so I see you have trouble evaluating defensemen in general and it's not just Rielly. pretty bad list

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Of course without that cap circumventing contract that brought the average down he'd be >8.7 cap hit and they would have 1 cup only.
Or not. He could have demanded far more at the time and gotten it, but he didn’t because he’s a team-oriented guy and wanted the 8.7 to match his number/birthday.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

So you're saying you'd turn down McDavid for Klingberg. I don't care what your team cap situation or roster makeup is, no sane GM would ever turn down that offer. They take it and figure the rest out later.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So you're saying you'd turn down McDavid for Klingberg. I don't care what your team cap situation or roster makeup is, no sane GM would ever turn down that offer. They take it and figure the rest out later.

Thats not what i said. Just that Klingbergs contract is easier to build a team with than McDavids giant monster that is kicking in next year ( albeit he will work out unlike Ekblads monster ). Of course McDavid is a much better player to build around . You can still be a terrible team even with the best player in the league if you can't assemble a good enough roster to compliment him though.

Just for the record even though McDavid is amazing i don't like the approach to the contract extension that the Oilers went for. I don't think it was smart asset management . ( albeit i don't know if they had another choice since i have no idea about McDavids demands )

Last edited:
Reactions: badboy1994

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

He's not better than

Doughty
Hedman
Jones
Provorov
Slavin
Gostisbehere
McAvoy
Vlasic
Werensk
i
Karlsson
Subban
Josi
Burns
Keith
Lindholm
Tanev
Gio
OEL

Im not a Stars fan but he is better than the bolded ones imo. Some of them have huge potential but i dont think they are as good as Klingberg yet. Klingberg is arguably better than some of the others aswell. Been much better than Burns this season for example but Burns obviously has a down year. OEL is a difficult one because of how bad his teams is and has been lately so hard to really compare him to other top defensemen. A guy like Tanev isnt close to as good as Klingberg. How you put Tanev on that list and not Mcdonagh btw is beyond me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad