Klingberg has gone from a top defender to an AHL player

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He put up points as an offensive player in an offense-only system. He was never truly a top defenseman.

This. Can be a game changer offensively, but NOT the guy you want out when you have a 3-2 lead and there is a minute left to play. In this fantasy driven world, where offense is king, Dmen are often judged by how many points they get. Give me a couple of guys like Vlasic and Hjalmarsson any day.

I'm sure Klingberg will work things out. Always thought that he and Brodin would make a great pair. One wonders if there is an injury issue?

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
You guys remember the old Klingberd Ekblad thread :laugh:

Well Ekblad has been just as bad maybe we should renew the thread and discuss which one is worse now.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
how is it that people don't understand that players go through rough stretches in their careers?
Literally EVERYONE has. Crosby, Ovi, Giroux, Voracek, etc etc etc. No player can ever be at 100%, all the time.
Remember when people said Crosby was washed up this time last year and wasn't even top 3 anymore? Bet they feel silly now.

Absolutely true. Sometimes its undisclosed injuries or personal life things that really impact their play or that a linemate who they had great chemistry with gets injured and they need to readjust. The great players you mentioned above always return to form. However really young players sometimes get figured out by the opposition and can get frustrated while they try to adapt and improve. Most do but some don't and you do see a modest amount of one year wonders.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
He's always been bad defensively, people were blinded by his offensive output

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I've never been that impressed. He's the shiny turd in the pile of crap that is the Stars defense.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Absolutely true. Sometimes its undisclosed injuries or personal life things that really impact their play or that a linemate who they had great chemistry with gets injured and they need to readjust. The great players you mentioned above always return to form. However really young players sometimes get figured out by the opposition and can get frustrated while they try to adapt and improve. Most do but some don't and you do see a modest amount of one year wonders.
I don't see Klingberg as a one year wonder.
The comments on this thread are laughable, were you saying this when he put up 58 points last season? Player has a rough start to a season and all of a sudden he was never that good and is washed up and trending downwards? wow

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Pretty much this.

Klingberg is a skilled hockey player no doubt, but he has been overrated by stat watchers IMO. Actually watching him in games, he has never been terribly impressive to me. To some degree he has been the beneficiary of playing in a system that fits his skill set and with other players that make it (relatively) easy to put up a lot of points.

Yeah. I think people got way too carried away with the numbers he can pile up.

The reality is, he's not a stud all-around #1D or even really on the cusp of that. He's a top-end offensive defenceman who found a really good fit with a team that plays run'n'gun with some huge firepower up front and a coach who really let's 'em go. And a partner in Goligoski who seemed to really click with him, who is a very good puck-mover in his own right.

It reminds me of the golden era of Christian Ehrhoff with the Canucks. While they were collecting president's trophies, making a run to the cup, dominating special teams, the Sedin Twins were winning scoring titles. Ehrhoff was never anything like a "#1D" or even really a true top-pairing D. But he found a perfect fit for that same type of offensive puck-moving skillset with the Canucks at the time and played a crap-ton of minutes, a lot of them with the Sedins...and collected bundles of points along the way. It wasn't just "leeching" points by any means, his skillset was instrumental in the Sedins' success during those years as well. It was a symbiotic sort of perfect fit.

That's kind of how i see Klingberg and what he's done the last while...and where he's struggling now. If they can get some of the other elements back into balance around Klingberg, i have no doubt he can pull out of this funk and jump right back to looking like the highly productive top offensive defenceman he can be.

That Dallas blueline around him is not very good right now, and has a ton of inexperience. Too much on the plate for a guy who just isn't really well suited for it.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
He needs a better partner. Goligoski for all his perceived warts, was a very good puck mover. His presence allowed Klingberg to do as he wished and now Klingberg has to deal with a motley crew at his side.

A major limitation of Klingberg's game is he isn't an elite skater. Because of this he is more heavily reliant on his partner than someone like Karlsson. That's precisely why, in the long term, I prefer Honka to Klingberg.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So is christian erhoff a good compareable?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Don't underestimate the partner effect. It's not always about one partner carrying the other so much as both trusting each other to be on a string so you can play your game confidently and not worry about looking like Justin Schultz. Goligoski was a fine partner for Klingberg, just as Marc Methot is for Erik Karlsson and Paul Martin is for Brent Burns.

Additionally, I haven't checked the numbers but he may have added two-way responsibilities. This happened with Dion Phaneuf, he was a Norris candidate when he was being used on a sheltered, basically second pair role. The next year he was used in a top pair shutdown role and looked like a mess.

Uhhh, Karlsson's first Norris came beside Kuba. Methot is a fine partner, but he is not the reason for Karlsson's success either, so it makes it a poor comparable for Klingberg

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Don't underestimate the partner effect. It's not always about one partner carrying the other so much as both trusting each other to be on a string so you can play your game confidently and not worry about looking like Justin Schultz. Goligoski was a fine partner for Klingberg, just as Marc Methot is for Erik Karlsson and Paul Martin is for Brent Burns.

Additionally, I haven't checked the numbers but he may have added two-way responsibilities. This happened with Dion Phaneuf, he was a Norris candidate when he was being used on a sheltered, basically second pair role. The next year he was used in a top pair shutdown role and looked like a mess.

Justin Schultz is actually pretty decent though.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Kid will be fine. Hamhuis has been a shell of what Goligoski was giving us and Ruff hasn't figured out who fits best with Kling yet.

He's had a rough go but so has the whole team. So far Spezza has looked like a 4th liner, Benn looks like something is lingering, Faksa can't bury a puck to save his life, almost everyone on D has 2-3 what the **** moments each game.

He is still our best D, he is just going through an extended rough patch with the whole team. If you think he is remotely close to AHL caliber then you have no idea. The team is a tire fire right now and they could all use a scratch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad