Klingberg has gone from a top defender to an AHL player

PeterForsberg

Aug 4, 2012
This guy is playing almost amateur level hockey. He's being scratched while healthy. He is currently at 26 shots on goal in 22 games. Not to mention his defending hasn't been anything to tout at. Did he have a few fluke seasons?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Don't underestimate the partner effect. It's not always about one partner carrying the other so much as both trusting each other to be on a string so you can play your game confidently and not worry about looking like Justin Schultz. Goligoski was a fine partner for Klingberg, just as Marc Methot is for Erik Karlsson and Paul Martin is for Brent Burns.

Additionally, I haven't checked the numbers but he may have added two-way responsibilities. This happened with Dion Phaneuf, he was a Norris candidate when he was being used on a sheltered, basically second pair role. The next year he was used in a top pair shutdown role and looked like a mess.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
This guy is playing almost amateur level hockey. He's being scratched while healthy. He is currently at 26 shots on goal in 22 games. Not to mention his defending hasn't been anything to tout at. Did he have a few fluke seasons?

He's probably just having an off year. The entire team is having an off year. I hope he picks it up, if he doesn't, I mean Flames and Oilers would gladly take him lol.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Nah. He's sucked but calling him an AHL player is ridiculous. He was healthy scratched once for his play.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

No. You don't exhibit the kind of skill he has while also putting up great numbers by accident or fluke. He is having a rough go of it though so far this year. His previous partner was also miles better than Hamhuis, who has been bad.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
He put up points as an offensive player in an offense-only system. He was never truly a top defenseman.

Pretty much this.

Klingberg is a skilled hockey player no doubt, but he has been overrated by stat watchers IMO. Actually watching him in games, he has never been terribly impressive to me. To some degree he has been the beneficiary of playing in a system that fits his skill set and with other players that make it (relatively) easy to put up a lot of points.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

He looked horrible the game i watched the other night or last week or when it was. Turnovers all the time and just looked horrible... Never seen him like this, i watched Dallas alot last season and he was solid pretty much every game. Not a great defensive player but decent defensivly, great offensivly and solid all around. This season he has been horrible the games i have watched

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
He’ll snap out of it imo, too talented not to. One of the best dmen in the league walking the blue line when he’s ‘on'

McDavid Gilmour

Jun 7, 2016
E-Town
I am pretty sure he was only a healthy scratch because he was late for practice. Same reason Seguin was a healthy scratch a while ago IIRC.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
You'd get a lot of assists too from touching the puck seconds before Seguin/Benn go ham. Not to say he isn't offensively challenged or a bad player, but it's clear he's not the next Karlsson as prematurely anointed.

fredligh

Jan 3, 2011
Iceland
Wasn't he a healthy scratch because he was late for a meeting or something? Calling him an AHL player is a bit harsh. But he is playing weak like the whole team does

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Don't underestimate the partner effect. It's not always about one partner carrying the other so much as both trusting each other to be on a string so you can play your game confidently and not worry about looking like Justin Schultz. Goligoski was a fine partner for Klingberg, just as Marc Methot is for Erik Karlsson and Paul Martin is for Brent Burns.

Lies I tell you lies because I have been told many times a defense partner doesn't matter for a defenseman :popcorn:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
He was never a top defender, and he's definitely not an AHL Dman. Yeah he's struggling, but really who isn't on Dallas. Give him time, he's played 163 games so far in his career and still has lots of time to turn it around

Once, or if the Stars figure it out, I'm sure he'll be fine. The team just needs some confidence

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Additionally, I haven't checked the numbers but he may have added two-way responsibilities. This happened with Dion Phaneuf, he was a Norris candidate when he was being used on a sheltered, basically second pair role. The next year he was used in a top pair shutdown role and looked like a mess.

Good post. Why did the Stars let go of Goligoski?

matro

Apr 6, 2014
Slovakia
I am pretty sure he was only a healthy scratch because he was late for practice. Same reason Seguin was a healthy scratch a while ago IIRC.

He was healthy scratch twice till now. First time it was just because he has missed some team meeting but the other one was actually because of his game.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Good post. Why did the Stars let go of Goligoski?

5 years @ 5.5 Million a year with a full NMC for a 31 year old was more than Nill was willing to give . From reports Nill wanted less years and not a full NMC for the full duration . Probably a good call in the long run but for now it left a gaping hole for a puckmoving LHD .
The best hope to fill the void is a rookie in Lindell who has been very inconsistent .

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
His corsi is gross.

43% when he's not out with Benn and Seguin.

Was always a great possession player until this year :huh:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
5 years @ 5.5 Million a year with a full NMC for a 31 year old was more than Nill was willing to give . Probably a good call in the long run but for now it left a gaping hole for a puckmoving LHD .
The best hope to fill the void is a rookie in Lindell who has been very inconsistent .

I dont think Goli is worth that. Good move for Dallas, but this season looks bad. Lindell is nowhere near a top pair D at this point.

Top4 rental incoming as soon as the annual tank begins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad