Klingberg currently leads the league in assists

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Can someone describe how Klingberg plays for me? I never watch the Stars play, but he is putting up some silly numbers, so I'm really curious to know what he's all about.

ColeJ

Nov 4, 2007
Waxahachie, Texas
He is a Harlem Globetrotter.

I usually would never resort to saying "pull up a YouTube highlight reel" to see what a player is all about... But Johnny Klingman is pretty much the embodiment of his highlights.

http://youtu.be/9XLaUiObZGk

That's a link of his rookie highlights... he is doing pretty much the same this season, only with more consistency.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada

I usually would never resort to saying "pull up a YouTube highlight reel" to see what a player is all about... But Johnny Klingman is pretty much the embodiment of his highlights.

That's a link of his rookie highlights... he is doing pretty much the same this season, only with more consistency.

Thanks for the video, I enjoyed it.

As a guy who watches the Stars (oh!) a lot. I enjoy how he is so patient with the puck, you can see it in the vid how he makes some players look foolish with that. I still remember his spoon versus Arizona then the quick wrister upstairs!

I also like how he sees the ice, very good passer and he is very smooth. I like him, if only he didn't wear white skates... Does it help playing with that crazy offense, of course, but in no way does Klingberg deserves to not have credit for what he is doing.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Can someone describe how Klingberg plays for me?

He's a high hockey IQ guy with ice water in his veins and tremendous vision. He holds on to the puck for that extra fraction of a second that allows a seam to open up when a player over commits. His skating is pretty unique as it relies on slick edgework to get himself just a crack to fire a puck through. I don't know if there's another player in the league that does what he does.

Offensively, I still think Karlsson is better. He has more speed and a much harder shot. In fact, his slapshot and one-timer are the most inconsistent part of Klingberg's offensive game. He relies on his quick, deceptive wrister much more.

Defensively, he is usually in solid position and moves the puck quickly and decisively when he gets it. He will fight for loose pucks against bigger players, but his biggest strength is his stickwork. He still could use some more strength, but I think he's wary of getting too big and limiting his other gifts.

He really is almost a second coming of Zubov. That's really the best style comparison out there.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
He's a high hockey IQ guy with ice water in his veins and tremendous vision. He holds on to the puck for that extra fraction of a second that allows a seam to open up when a player over commits. His skating is pretty unique as it relies on slick edgework to get himself just a crack to fire a puck through. I don't know if there's another player in the league that does what he does.

Offensively, I still think Karlsson is better. He has more speed and a much harder shot. In fact, his slapshot and one-timer are the most inconsistent part of Klingberg's offensive game. He relies on his quick, deceptive wrister much more.

Defensively, he is usually in solid position and moves the puck quickly and decisively when he gets it. He will fight for loose pucks against bigger players, but his biggest strength is his stickwork. He still could use some more strength, but I think he's wary of getting too big and limiting his other gifts.

He really is almost a second coming of Zubov. That's really the best style comparison out there.

Very interesting - thanks!

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa

I'm basing it only off that clip obviously, but his ability to get shots through from the point seems comparable to Karlsson.

I also see a lot of Duncan Keith in his game there.

Thanks for sharing.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia

Hopefully he works on that slapshot because it would give defenders even more to worry about with him.

ramdm5

Jan 30, 2015
Sweden

That a filthy highlight reel for a rookie D. Really well edited too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad