Klingberg currently leads the league in assists

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
As you should be, from what I've seen he's got some offensive talent but is only just okay defensively, meh is a better description. If he were playing on Carolina, for example, he wouldn't have half the points and would be a minus player. Any comparisons to Lidstrom are almost criminal, at this point I'd say he's a poor-mans Erik Karlsson.
He's no Lidstrom defensively but he's certainly better than "meh". He's good and getting better.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love how everyone just assumes he isn't good defensively cause he is deadly offensively...

He is awesome defensively

beltjones

Dec 4, 2014
www.breakthecipher.com
As you should be, from what I've seen he's got some offensive talent but is only just okay defensively, meh is a better description. If he were playing on Carolina, for example, he wouldn't have half the points and would be a minus player. Any comparisons to Lidstrom are almost criminal, at this point I'd say he's a poor-mans Erik Karlsson.

Yeah, because Lidstrom played with a bunch of scrubs and still looked amazing. Oh, wait.

Klingberg's game is about excellent skating, stickwork, surgical passing, and anticipation, rather than big open ice hits or muscling people out of the crease. But you're right, comparisons to Lidstrom are criminal.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
He's a great player and what an awesome top unit Dallas has built. It certainly helps when you can dish to the likes of Seguin, Benn and Sharp.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Traded David Savard and a 2nd in a Keeper league for Klingberg just before the season started. Love reading The Score app and watching highlights every night Dallas plays.

Reminder to Columbus fans reading this. This is a Fantasy Hockey League not real life. Save yourself the harassment and don't propose this in the trade proposal boards.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica

While I disagree with the Lidstrom comparisons, the rest of your comment is way off base. This is a comment from someone who has just never watched the player in question. "some" offensive talent? His offensive talent is probably second only to Karlsson in the entire NHL (from the blueline...) - though its not a fair comment to even really compare them, as they are very different players with the puck.

And defensively he is really good. Far better defensively than Karlsson. That's why, despite 24 minutes a game, he's only been on the ice for 12 goals against all season. And he's playing with another Dman that isn't necessarily recognized for his outstanding consistency in his own zone in Goligoski.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I love how everyone just assumes he isn't good defensively cause he is deadly offensively...

He is awesome defensively

Seems to be pretty much the case here. He isnt bad defensively at all.

Happy he is doing well, he is a nice kids. Also happy for Dallas finally having a talented and skilled D again. Best since Zubov?

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

Happy he is doing well, he is a nice kids. Also happy for Dallas finally having a talented and skilled D again. Best since Zubov?

No doubt whatsoever. Hands down the best since Zubov and they play a similar game. He's been a complete joy to watch. Amongst the best hockey IQ in the league.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

May end up being better, when all's said and done.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Remember this is MÃ¥rts and Popovic.. so you got it all wrong..

Kronvall - Ericsson
Hjalmarsson - Oduya
Karlsson - Staffan Kronvall

Karlsson wasnt third pairing at the olympics. Dont exsaggerate its just childish.

If Klingberg keeps this up he will be on the team 2016. Even if Sweden is a bit heavy on the OD side.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
PGSlwEQ.png

TomDelonge

Apr 28, 2009
Boulder, CO
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how many of his 22 assists were off of goals by Seguin or Benn?

While not exactly the same thing, I looked up all of Klingberg's points game by game and every one of them besides two of them had seguin, benn, or spezza's name on the goal as well. Eakins and Sharp had goals this year that he assisted on that benn or seguin didn't assist on.

With all that said, I have had the chance to watch him play twice this year and he is absolutely fantastic.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
While I disagree with the Lidstrom comparisons, the rest of your comment is way off base. This is a comment from someone who has just never watched the player in question. "some" offensive talent? His offensive talent is probably second only to Karlsson in the entire NHL (from the blueline...) - though its not a fair comment to even really compare them, as they are very different players with the puck.

And defensively he is really good. Far better defensively than Karlsson. That's why, despite 24 minutes a game, he's only been on the ice for 12 goals against all season. And he's playing with another Dman that isn't necessarily recognized for his outstanding consistency in his own zone in Goligoski.

He's not far better defensively than Karlsson, it seems that you've only looked at stats to try and gauge that though. Klingberg has been great offensively so far this season, and good defensively. Calling him better than Karlsson defensively would be wrong though.

Crocoduck

Mar 3, 2013
Peterborough, Ont.
He's not far better defensively than Karlsson, it seems that you've only looked at stats to try and gauge that though. Klingberg has been great offensively so far this season, and good defensively. Calling him better than Karlsson defensively would be wrong though.

I'm guessing by his second sentence, he has in fact, watched JK play. I'm not going to say he's far better than EK defensively, but I will say the majority of the people in here are vastly underrating his defensive abilities.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
The guy is incredible.

I know we are in the same division, but man, I love the Stars. Seguin, Benn, and Klingberg are all just amazing to watch.

GreatStateofHockey

Oct 2, 2011
I'm guessing by his second sentence, he has in fact, watched JK play. I'm not going to say he's far better than EK defensively, but I will say the majority of the people in here are vastly underrating his defensive abilities.

Plenty of people underrate EK's ability as well. The one reason most posters said that Karlsson couldn't play defense was his lack of PK time.

Of course I'm not using this to judge Klingberg, but that's where the majority of "Karlsson can't play defense" were coming from. Karlsson is a great defender. Sometimes he makes boneheaded plays, but so does every other top defender. I'm not saying Klingberg isn't a good defender, but saying he's better than Karlsson without watching him play is ridiculous. And yes, I've watched Klingberg plenty last year and this year.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Of course I'm not using this to judge Klingberg, but that's where the majority of "Karlsson can't play defense" were coming from. Karlsson is a great defender.

Based on their play I think they're pretty comparable on both offense and defense, with Karlsson having the edge in offense and Klingberg having a slight edge in defense, though is less consistent than EK, so with that considered it's likely more a wash.

Sometimes he makes boneheaded plays, but so does every other top defender.

Goes double for offensive defensemen who are going to be pushing the offense more than the two-way and defensive-minded guys. It's a high-risk, high-reward situation at times during games, but damn is it great watching them work (especially on those plays where they just dance the line and beat multiple defenders from the point).

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I think what often gets overlooked or goes completely unmentioned when talking about a player's defensive ability is how he is used and trusted by his coach. Big picture statistics are good for an overview but if you want to know if a defenseman plays good/great defense you have to look closer. Specifically, I want to know that even if a guy is supposedly an "offensive defenseman" like Karlsson and Klingberg, that they are used to close out games with a one goal lead and other close situations in games when you really just need to not give up a goal.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
How come its acceptable to compare EVERY swedish defensemen with Lidström? Its not like every canadian forward gets compared with Gretzky just because they have a hot streak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad