Player Discussion Klefbom

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think I mentioned in another PGT
Not sure what's worse

-Waiting for Klef to figure whatever the F is wrong with all the while he causes another GA
or
-Having Chia at the helm and making another "major" move
The latter, easily. Klefbom has a better chance of bouncing back than Chia making a good trade involving him.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think I mentioned in another PGT
Not sure what's worse

-Waiting for Klef to figure whatever the F is wrong with all the while he causes another GA
or
-Having Chia at the helm and making another "major" move

The latter obviously which is why you don't give up on a young (previously good) player who is going through a rough patch.

There's no reason whatsoever to trade him this offseason unless it's in a bigger package for an upgrade. His contract isn't a problem and the Oilers can't afford to trade away good young D as the pipeline is a barren wasteland. This isn't Nashville or Anaheim where the Oilers can trade a Dman and another is lined up to take his spot.

For instance, a Klefbom for Hoffman trade is a horrible idea because you are immediately in the market out of desperation to fill Klefbom's void so you're trading from another position to fill that position then you have to fill that vacated position (if it's RNH for Barrie or something like that). It's shuffling deck chairs, not upgrading.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's horrible but he deserves another shot?

What will happen is that the Oilers will sell low with Klefbom like they did with every other asset and the same fans who were complaining about horrible Klefbom is will get angry at management for letting go of another promising young Dman when he flourishes elsewhere. Wash Rinse Repeat

Yes. He's horrible this year was good to great at times last year. Reminds me of Petry all over again. And if we had a recovered Petry, maybe we dont need to make the Hall trade.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think you know I was in that group. I've laid off Klefbom like you politely asked, but are you not even a bit concerned at this point?
As nice as some of his fancy stats and charts looked last season, the kid still had big problems with decision making and defending. From what I've seen of his career (I know nothing about his performances in Europe) I agree with the posters who say 'what is it exactly that Klefbom does well'?
I'm desperately hoping he can get healthy and turn his career back onto a good path, but I have to admit I'm not expecting it to happen.
I would say he is a good skater, good puck mover and good on defense except for the fact that he makes a couple of bad decisions each game (last season as well). All these traits are null and void seeing how this season is going.

Even this year, I think it was the 2nd game against CGY he played a two on one against perfectly, and I don't think he just got lucky, he can play the game at a high level but this season (for whatever reason) his "bad times" are amazingly more frequent.

The point I was making though is that even if you don't like him as a D (which I can appreciate seeing as I have also raised concerns in the past regarding his decision making) I don't think even the most ardent Klefbom hater would have expected this kind of season from him. It is not normal, and that is evident to all I think.

About the laying off Klefbom I only commented that for your own sake you should take it easy on him :naughty:
You were in a discussion at the time about the fact that fans should not be bashing and name-call players when they struggle (which I agree with).

Reactions: harpoon

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I have not seen anything recent but he should have recovered fully already some time ago (in May I believe).
No no. I'm sure some posters on here will let you know that they had to remove his entire arm just like they did with his ankle. At this his point his NHL career is probably over unless he can overcome missing an arm and an ankle.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Would be great to hear how he is doing. A lot rides on him having an improved season.
He is capable of it. Hope he is healed and now working out. I imagine he is in Sweden... His Twitter hasn't been updated since 2017...

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Would be great to hear how he is doing. A lot rides on him having an improved season.
He is capable of it. Hope he is healed and now working out. I imagine he is in Sweden... His Twitter hasn't been updated since 2017...

I remember hearing around the draft that he was healed and working out, I can't recall who it was exactly but I believe it was Jason Gergor that said that

Reactions: Consultant

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No no. I'm sure some posters on here will let you know that they had to remove his entire arm just like they did with his ankle. At this his point his NHL career is probably over unless he can overcome missing an arm and an ankle.

Yeah and next year if he sprains his knee or was a Charlie horse they’ll go on and on about how his shoulder caused it.

Reactions: McFlyingV

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I have faith in him that he'll bounce back but if Winnipeg calls and says Trouba could be had for say Klef and a first. I make that deal no questions asked. I would only move him in a deal for an upgrade.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I have faith in him that he'll bounce back but if Winnipeg calls and says Trouba could be had for say Klef and a first. I make that deal no questions asked. I would only move him in a deal for an upgrade.
Not if Trouba is asking for 8 mil.... zero chance I'd pay him anything over 6 mil per

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad