Player Discussion Klefbom: The bombs are back in town.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He need to utilize his amazing powerful slapshot more.

I actually kind of wish he wouldn't shoot quite as much :laugh:. He's a bit one note in the offensive zone. He gets the puck, it's almost always ending up on net. I think he'll need to develop a bit more dynamic decision making if we want him to take the next step offensively and become a truly elite offensive guy.

Not that he needs to become an elite offensive player. He could change nothing and still put up ~40 points a year which is definitely very valuable.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yeah, Klefbom shoots plenty. He was one of nine defenders who had more than 200 shots this year. It may seem like he doesn't utilize it that much because he doesn't crank it as often on the PP. Only 35 of his 201 shots occured 5v4.

That's because he's a left shot on a powerplay where the only right handed player shoots the puck every time it comes to him. It's much harder to get him a one time opportunity.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I actually kind of wish he wouldn't shoot quite as much :laugh:. He's a bit one note in the offensive zone. He gets the puck, it's almost always ending up on net. I think he'll need to develop a bit more dynamic decision making if we want him to take the next step offensively and become a truly elite offensive guy.

Not that he needs to become an elite offensive player. He could change nothing and still put up ~40 points a year which is definitely very valuable.

I do agree he needs to continue to use his forwards more in O zone, that will turn him into a true beast. Someone like Burns or Karlsson can do major damage in O zone just from passing

Still I dont mind Klefbom shooting so much because his shot is great and it gets thru. Rarely blocked.

Plus for a fan base who constantly yells "shoooot" youd think Klefbom shooting all the time would be a dream for them :naughty:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
HERO Charts updated their format in a pretty unqiue new design. Basically rates player out of ten in points/ shot generation/ shot suppression. Closest thing to EA Sports Rating as weve ever had (gimmicky, but cool to visualise it)

You cna also compare select players to the a archetype type of role (Ie #1 D, 2nd pairing, 3rd pairing and ditto for forwards). Here is how Klefbom compares to #1D:

Y9trzCB.png

The only area Klefbom does not match or exceed what you expect from a #1 is ice time (just under #1 D average). This was mostly due to him being a fairly young D and missing more than half the season last year, so needing to be eased in this year. While this is not definitive proof hes a #1D I think its just yet another example that he should probably be considered one fairly soon ( I already have him as one)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Just thought I'd bump this thread to see what people think at this point. I'm really ****ing happy that Klef seems to be becoming a force of his own. Cannot say enough good things about this kid.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Just thought I'd bump this thread to see what people think at this point. I'm really ****ing happy that Klef seems to be becoming a force of his own. Cannot say enough good things about this kid.

To my eye Klefbom is a #1D. By game 40 next year every fan and pundit will agree as well
Still so much upside.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Always had really high hopes for Klefbom, pissed me off when everyone was writting him off because of injuries. Kid works hard, is smart and has all the tools to be a top pairing guy for 10 years.

If he can be a bit more physical he is our Seabrook, before he got old and lost a step.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Always had really high hopes for Klefbom, pissed me off when everyone was writting him off because of injuries. Kid works hard, is smart and has all the tools to be a top pairing guy for 10 years.

If he can be a bit more physical he is our Seabrook, before he got old and lost a step.

He's certainly got the body for it

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I don't know if he needs to be all that physical. Having our best defenseman stay out of the box is pretty good too. It's not like it's hampering his game. He's effective defensively the way he plays now.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I don't know if he needs to be all that physical. Having our best defenseman stay out of the box is pretty good too. It's not like it's hampering his game. He's effective defensively the way he plays now.

there was a long discussion on this on 1260 this week, saying how taking a few more liberties keeps opponents on their toes

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Considering Klefbom's injury history, I'm not sure I'd want him to be overly physical if he doesn't need to be. I'm mean he's already pretty solid at physically keeping people to the outside or away from the net. Just leave Larsson to be the nasty one on that paring, and don't make Klefbom something he's not.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Considering Klefbom's injury history, I'm not sure I'd want him to be overly physical if he doesn't need to be. I'm mean he's already pretty solid at physically keeping people to the outside or away from the net. Just leave Larsson to be the nasty one on that paring, and don't make Klefbom something he's not.

Those were some pretty isolated injuries. I doubt Klefbom will develop a flesh eating disease from throwing a bodycheck

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Those were some pretty isolated injuries. I doubt Klefbom will develop a flesh eating disease from throwing a bodycheck

Basically not every trauma or disease is related to each other. I would hardly call Klef injury prone.

Regardless if there any player I feel can really break out next season it is Klefbom I mean there are many thinking that Drew Doughty will get around 9 million or that we should trade tons of assets to get him Klefbom had the exact same amount of goals and only six less points than Doughty. To be fair the Kings are struggling principally on the offence and who knows how good Drew would be with our team. But if Klef can continue to trend upward on his contract he will be an absolute steal. Definitely pretty underrated in the NHL.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Basically not every trauma or disease is related to each other. I would hardly call Klef injury prone.

Regardless if there any player I feel can really break out next season it is Klefbom I mean there are many thinking that Drew Doughty will get around 9 million or that we should trade tons of assets to get him Klefbom had the exact same amount of goals and only six less points than Doughty. To be fair the Kings are struggling principally on the offence and who knows how good Drew would be with our team. But if Klef can continue to trend upward on his contract he will be an absolute steal. Definitely pretty underrated in the NHL.

I agree with the most part. Klef injuries were pretty isolated imo

But don't compare Doughty to Klef in points as a measure

Doughty is a true #1 dman who does everything. Plays tons of minutes, runs his own line and is usually the one of best players on the ice

Klef is fantastic and is young and upcoming, but he is no #1 bonafide dman. Comparing points is not a unit of measurement imo

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I've said this quite a bit on this site but I still can't believe he hasn't even played 200 regular season games yet ! Tons of room for growth. This season will be the year he convinces the rest of the league he can be a high #2 low #1 dman

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I've said this quite a bit on this site but I still can't believe he hasn't even played 200 regular season games yet ! Tons of room for growth. This season will be the year he convinces the rest of the league he can be a high #2 low #1 dman

I think there's potential for him to do even more than that next year. If he puts up another year like the one he just had, or takes another step forward, he'll cement himself as a true #1D and borderline elite defenseman IMO.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Absolute gem. We were very lucky Chicago opted for McNeil that year at 18. Klefbom ended up being a gift at 19.

Also lucky that Kopitar broke his ankle so Ottawa, Anaheim and Arizona didn't get a shot at him.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Absolute gem. We were very lucky Chicago opted for McNeil that year at 18. Klefbom ended up being a gift at 19.

Chicago saved us from ourselves in the same year that we took Musil over Jenner. :laugh:

I was so happy with the Klefbom pick when it happened. In my opinion he is already a #1 dman, and still a bit underrated. I think he and Larsson are going to be amazing this season.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Chicago saved us from ourselves in the same year that we took Musil over Jenner. :laugh:

I was so happy with the Klefbom pick when it happened. In my opinion he is already a #1 dman, and still a bit underrated. I think he and Larsson are going to be amazing this season.

I also have this feeling. I think it will be a huge year for both players, Klefbom will enter the conversation with top D men in the league (not the very top but in the 5-15 range) and Larsson will close up on Vlasic as top defensive D in the league.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Absolutely. Klefbom was a such a project pick, but in that range, those are the risks you have to take. Klefbom was basically an all tools D who had yet to put it together or really showclass a ton of consistent good play. Basically a 2 point D in the SEL (comparable used by TSN was Douglas Murray LOL). We are pretty lucky his tools have came together and hes got the tool box (IQ) to use them. Just too bad injuries set him back 1.5-2 years of development. Could have been a #1D leaguewide by now, but hell get there in due time now. In 10 years I think well look back and see Klefbom as one of our best value picks in a long time

I do agree hes already a #1D in my opinion. #1D is a D that can make any pairing a top pairing. Klefbom-Larsson are a very good top pairing, and thats with Larsson being a fringe top pairing D (simply due to lack of offense). Larsson has had a year to get comfortable and this year I wouldnt be suprised if they were a top 5 pairing leaguewide

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I still remember the days in 2011-2014 is when trying to find a Klefbom highlight was nearly impossible. Basically it was some SEL goal and a webcam interview he had done. Now we get these gems

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Also lucky that Kopitar broke his ankle so Ottawa, Anaheim and Arizona didn't get a shot at him.

And that the piece that got him was Dustin Penner (all due respect to the big man). Fates were kind to get us Oscar.

Truth.

I'm so excited to see what they do for us this year. What they may lack in true top pairing skillset (which is not much), they make up for with their work ethic and battle in spades.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
And that the piece that got him was Dustin Penner (all due respect to the big man). Fates were kind to get us Oscar.

Truth.

I'm so excited to see what they do for us this year. What they may lack in true top pairing skillset (which is not much), they make up for with their work ethic and battle in spades.

I forgot that it was the pick we got from Trading Penner to LA. That offer sheet signing ended up paying off huge for us in the end. Did the Ducks end up with anything useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad