Player Discussion Klefbom: The bombs are back in town.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I remember approximately a year ago being torn to shreds by Leafs fans for suggesting that Klefbom was going to be better than Rielly.

Now on the polls boards there are more than a few Leafs fans saying just this thing.

Amazing what staying healthy can do for a player's worth league-wide. Klef's a beast.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Crazy how young him and Larsson still are, 23 and 24 years of age signed to long term deals. Damn Chia you are a genius. These guys are going to be beasts in their prime.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Crazy how young him and Larsson still are, 23 and 24 years of age signed to long term deals. Damn Chia you are a genius. These guys are going to be beasts in their prime.

yeah, another 150-200 NHL games (and hopefully another few rounds of playoffs) will do wonders for the both of them.... klef/larsson at 25/26 should be a very good top-pairing

on a related note, our "window of opportunity" really isn't going to be as long as most people likely think.... our top-3 on defence is currently larsson/klefbom/sekera, and their caps are 4.167/4.167/5.5, for a combined 13.83 million... this is a very cap-friendly number for 3 of your top-4 dmen, and should allow the oilers to keep most everybody at forward (even with drai/mcdavid getting huge raises next year).... sekera and larsson are both UFA in 2021/22, so we need to make hay in these next 4 years

Last edited:
I remember approximately a year ago being torn to shreds by Leafs fans for suggesting that Klefbom was going to be better than Rielly.

Now on the polls boards there are more than a few Leafs fans saying just this thing.

Amazing what staying healthy can do for a player's worth league-wide. Klef's a beast.

Don't you worry. Soon Leafs fans will be claiming that Dermott>Klefbom after the former has a couple good games next year.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Suprised not to see an end of season discussion on Klefbom. Edmonton should be over the moon about Klefbom. This is like our 1st drafted and developed #1 D (or soon to be) in 15-20 years. Not only that, he was a late 1st, not even a top 5 pick :laugh:

I gotta give major, major props to Klefbom who has continually shown progression year over year and took major steps this year. Hes got an obvious bomb of a shot, but combines that with great skating and a killer instinct to score. Undoubtedly hes been helped by Larsson and now the question is how high for both of these guys.

We will always have this:

For the future: I wouldnt be suprised to hear his name is the coming year(s) to be listed with the likes of Hedman, Burns, OEL etc. Friedman already had him as a getting Norris consideration this year and MSM is catching on to the hype of him, some alreayd comparing him to Hedman

One thing to entertain people over the summer is this:

C_0w3hqUwAA8eGH.jpg

How good is or will be can be debated, but one thing that cannot is the fact he is and will be a key piece of this team going forward and doing it for only $4.125 million :popcorn:

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I guess no one can say s***t about him now for saying Taylor Hall never showed up in big games. A lot people thought because he didn't have Hall's resume he wasn't allowed to have such an opinion.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Will be interesting to see if he can maintain/improve his play next year. And health is always a big concern I have for him.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Or against tough teams or something. Either way, a lot of people thought he wasn't allowed to speak that way because Taylor Hall was so much more a superior player than Oscar.

This interview was in Swedish and it's meaning got lost in translation. He meant they didn't play their best game as a group, himself included, against tough teams and that's why a change was needed. He wasn't just firing shots off at Taylor Hall.

I imagine I'll have to correct people on this forever. HFOil and context are not things that go well together. We still have a bunch of people who think Stauffer guaranteed we'd take Murray over Yakupov.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Perfect world, wish we could had a number 1, and move Sekera and have Kelfbom play as a #3.

I think Klef is a #1. I honestly won't be upset at all if we resign Russel and have the same D core next season. The only thing I even hope for is an upgrade on Russel or Nurse for an offensive right shot D

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
I guess no one can say s***t about him now for saying Taylor Hall never showed up in big games. A lot people thought because he didn't have Hall's resume he wasn't allowed to have such an opinion.

Taylor Hall didn't even have the opportunity to play a "big game" as an Edmonton Oiler

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Still mad we don't have this for our D group

Sekera-Ristolianen
Klefbom-Larsson

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Klef is really turning into a great all around D man. The offence is there. I think next year he will really get into a grove on the pp and end up with 50-60 points. I think at 23 he starts to get compared to some of the better dmen in the league at the same age.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Would I trade Klefbom for Hall? Not in a million years. It would take Hall+1OA+Severson+another not insignificant piece for me to even entertain the idea. Woooof.

That was a reference to the Subban rumours incase anyone missed the joke

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll always be annoyed that we took Nurse over Ristolainen. He's the one I wanted. :C

Can't argue that as I think Risto will be the better D than Nurse, but oh well. Just remind yourself that if we made that selection we quite possibly might not have Draisaitl and McDavid. Nurse will be a good dman even if he doesn't bring the all around package that Risto does.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Would I trade Klefbom for Hall? Not in a million years. It would take Hall+1OA+Severson+another not insignificant piece for me to even entertain the idea. Woooof.

That was a reference to the Subban rumours incase anyone missed the joke

:laugh: lucky Bergevin isn't running the show. Maybe he would trade him for an older LHD that can't drive play. Trade that lady bing worthy style for 21 crosschecks a game.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Klef is really turning into a great all around D man. The offence is there. I think next year he will really get into a grove on the pp and end up with 50-60 points. I think at 23 he starts to get compared to some of the better dmen in the league at the same age.

He need to utilize his amazing powerful slapshot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad