Klefbom likely done for the year

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
those tweets from gregor are certainly not encouraging

this certainly appears to be almost a "worst case scenario" that is playing out... could very well be the end of klefbom's career, which is very bad news (to say the blatantly obvious)

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
So depressing, this team is cursed, even with McDavid I see the rebuild going nowehre fast. Klef was turning into our surprise very solid top end d man. Who knows now. Just hope he is back and healthy next year

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Only saving grace is that Jadeddog has literally never been right with his worst-case scenario injury prognostications. So I'm quite hopeful that Klefbom will be back at full health for next season.

It is troubling that the guy just can't stay healthy though. He's probably lost at least a year of development due to all of the time he has missed. Definitely feel bad for him.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I know this is a freak occurrence, but is anyone else bothered by the fact Klefbom hasn't played a ton of hockey since before his draft year?

The SEL plays 55 games per season.

Klefbom played:
2011 GP: 23 - Missed 32
2012 GP: 33 - Missed 22
2013 GP: 11 - Missed 44

AHL plays 76 Games
NHL playes 82 games.

2014 GP: 65 - Missed 11-17
2015 GP: 69 - Missed 7-13
2016 GP: 30 - Missed 52

Should also mention, Klefbom has only ever played 2 games of Playoff hockey in his entire SEL/Professional hockey career.

That is a LOT of F-ing time missed. There is no record of him ever playing a full season of hockey.

:/

Some of your numbers are skewed from back when Klef was in Sweden. You only included SEL games but in 2011 and 2012 he played games at other levels in the Swedish system, along with a lot of games for the national junior teams. He actually played 60+ games both of those years. Plus he actually played 11 playoff games with Farjestad in 2012, and also played some playoff games with a junior team in 2011.

thalegion

Apr 13, 2010
Edmonton
When I had one in my leg it came on quick luckily my body was alright with antibiotics so I had it cleared up in 3 weeks.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Some of your numbers are skewed from back when Klef was in Sweden. You only included SEL games but in 2011 and 2012 he played games at other levels in the Swedish system, along with a lot of games for the national junior teams. He actually played 60+ games both of those years. Plus he actually played 11 playoff games with Farjestad in 2012, and also played some playoff games with a junior team in 2011.

Hes pretty much miss 2 development seasons now. Thats huge, he may not ever get them back.

Im not concerened with the infection anymore. They will have it under control. The comfort thing shouldnt be a issue soon enough. My concern is the 2 years of development now lost.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Only saving grace is that Jadeddog has literally never been right with his worst-case scenario injury prognostications. So I'm quite hopeful that Klefbom will be back at full health for next season.

It is troubling that the guy just can't stay healthy though. He's probably lost at least a year of development due to all of the time he has missed. Definitely feel bad for him.

lol, that is somewhat correct... i do tend to go overboard on injuries... however, sadly, i have been right about this one up until now... hopefully that turns around and i'm proven wrong over the summer

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Just torch Rexall after the last game. Every fan should bring a couple gallons of gas to the final game. Then once final buzzer goes every fan doses the arena in gas and McDavid throws the final match. After that its next talked about again

Normally I don't believe in that hocus pocus, but in this case, yes... kill it with fire.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Good to know.

I just took those from Hockeydb.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I know this is a freak occurrence, but is anyone else bothered by the fact Klefbom hasn't played a ton of hockey since before his draft year?

The SEL plays 55 games per season.

Klefbom played:
2011 GP: 23 - Missed 32
2012 GP: 33 - Missed 22
2013 GP: 11 - Missed 44

AHL plays 76 Games
NHL playes 82 games.

2014 GP: 65 - Missed 11-17
2015 GP: 69 - Missed 7-13
2016 GP: 30 - Missed 52

Should also mention, Klefbom has only ever played 2 games of Playoff hockey in his entire SEL/Professional hockey career.

That is a LOT of F-ing time missed. There is no record of him ever playing a full season of hockey.

:/

And people were wondering why I didn't like a 7 year deal at 4.16M per... that hasn't even kicked in yet. Right now I'm just hoping Klefbom doesn't lose his foot, leg, or life.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
lol ya randlemans was straight nasty, but his was more in teh quad region where there is more fatty tissue and muscle. the rumor is klefs is in his ankles and thats bad as there isnt much there.

Lets just hope its not in the bones.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Well bones have blood vessels running through them and bones create blood cells in bone marrow so...

Can it actually damage or weaken the bones? Thought its more like a flesh eating virus. I have minimal medical knowledge so excuse the ignorance.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not saying it'll have the same ending, but man this is so much like the Whitney situation fromn years back.

Get a defenceman playing at an extremely high level, only to have a freak injury destroy their season.

Outside of Hall and Eberle, I can't rememberthe last time an Oiler put together a full season with consistent high level play, especially on defence... Petry in his sophomore season perhaps?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Can it actually damage or weaken the bones? Thought its more like a flesh eating virus. I have minimal medical knowledge so excuse the ignorance.

I don't know much about bacterial infections, but if the staph was in the blood stream it could technically travel to pretty much anywhere in the body that is supplied with blood (aside from maybe the brain because of the blood brain barrier), which would include the bones. I would assume if it was in the blood he would be in intensive care though so that doesn't seem like the case. Again I still think people are overreacting a bit thinking that they're gonna chop his leg off or have to remove half his ankle. If he's out of hospital and actually skating on it it doesn't sound like a career threatening infection.

For all we know the surgery could just be removing some superficial subcutaneous or cutaneous tissue (seems like the most likely case tbh) because its mostly just tendons that cross on the anterior ankle (which is where the infection location was described in the tweet) so there isn't a ton of of actual muscle belly there, and if they were cutting out serious structures there he wouldn't be out skating.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
from what I've read of MRSA, once athletes get treatment the odds of negative outcome are extremely slim. We can't know how bad it has gotten, but we know that it was mild enough for them to believe that it was beaten several times in this span. Klefbom is getting over-and-above treatment right now. I expect him to be fine. They're not going to let it get so widespread that there is permanent damage

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
This Klefbom situation is almost more frustrating than another lost season. The Oilers finally develop a defenseman with above average potential and then he loses 2/3 of the season to a freak infection that now may threaten to extend into the off-season and beyond. :shakehead

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Feel for Klef :(

Hope they can get this thing treated and he can make a full recovery and be back as a key player next season.

Get well soon!

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
I don't know much about bacterial infections, but if the staph was in the blood stream it could technically travel to pretty much anywhere in the body that is supplied with blood (aside from maybe the brain because of the blood brain barrier), which would include the bones. I would assume if it was in the blood he would be in intensive care though so that doesn't seem like the case. Again I still think people are overreacting a bit thinking that they're gonna chop his leg off or have to remove half his ankle. If he's out of hospital and actually skating on it it doesn't sound like a career threatening infection.

For all we know the surgery could just be removing some superficial subcutaneous or cutaneous tissue (seems like the most likely case tbh) because its mostly just tendons that cross on the anterior ankle (which is where the infection location was described in the tweet) so there isn't a ton of of actual muscle belly there, and if they were cutting out serious structures there he wouldn't be out skating.

You are most likely correct. It's common to "debride" infected wounds, which is basically surgically removing all of the dead, necrotic tissue down to a depth where the wound has good blood supply. This sometimes has to be repeated. And the ankle is notorious for having a crappy blood supply to start with, so this doesn't help healing at all.

As for a previous poster asking if staph can spread to bone, the answer is yes, it's called osteomylelitis. It requires long courses of IV antibiotics +/- surgical excision of infected bone.

I'm guessing one of Klefbom's problems might be that he still has an open wound on his skin, and often those need skin grafts after the infection is settled down. If the open wound is at a site where the skate laces up tightly I can see it being a big problem, hence his "custom-fitted" skate. It probably has inserts to try to take pressure off the wound. I can't see any way that wouldn't greatly affect his skating.

I just hope he's 100% by next season.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I assume chia is just trying to make sure it is 100% none transferable before he comes back.

And I assume the modified skate is to allow for a bandage and keep sweat out of the sore.

On the other hand, Oilerz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad