Klefbom likely done for the year

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I didn't say anything about doubting that he would be gone for the season but a month ago I was 100% sure he'd be back... holy cow.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
yeah, we really have to start coming to terms with the idea that we will never have klefbom back at full health... if this doesn't end his career outright, it likely negatively affects him enough to the point where he isn't useful anymore (whitney all over again)

No, we're not at that point as fans yet. I know that in the absence of info it's a recipe to think the worst. Chiarelli has that info. He's the only one who has to come to terms with anything. As fans all we can do is be hopeful. There are some players who are hunters, and the fans of those players don't have to come to terms with the possibility of them getting mauled by a bear.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
It should be of grave concern that Klefbom has tissue removed due to infection and is having trouble skating. Furthermore he is using a fitted skate.

If removal of tissue has resulted in structural damage to his foot (Forsberg and Whitney also used customized skates and couldn't make it work) then we are looking at long-term irreversible effects.

Huh? He's using a fitted skate right now because of the swelling not because half his foot is missing lol. Some of you need to relax, unless he takes a turn for the worst and his death is announced later this week I think he'll be alright in time.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
No, we're not at that point as fans yet. I know that in the absence of info it's a recipe to think the worst. Chiarelli has that info. He's the only one who has to come to terms with anything. As fans all we can do is be hopeful. There are some players who are hunters, and the fans of those players don't have to come to terms with the possibility of them getting mauled by a bear.

I think after this year any shred of positivity that was left in fans is gone. Just burn this franchise and start over. They are cursed. Please hockey gods have mercy. At this point they can take Mcdavid to Vegas or Seattle and give us an Expansion team.

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Huh? He's using a fitted skate right now because of the swelling not because half his foot is missing lol. Some of you need to relax, unless he takes a turn for the worst and his death is announced later this week I think he'll be alright in time.

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor Mar 22

@Woodguy55 @akaRCN yes, wrote about it, but they haven;'t been specific on what type of surgery. Just removed some tissue to stop infection.

@DKingBH @Woodguy55 this is infection. Whitney was structural. They believe will be better. But any foot issue is concerning.

@Woodguy55 the issue is infection was right where skates tighten. I think fitted is to protect it for now. But if more then yep big issue.

@Woodguy55 @DKingBH was at front of ankle around where skate laces up I was told. If no ligament or tendon damage could be okay.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Staph infections can get really nasty, especially if they're not responding to antibiotics. Hope he comes back well from this.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
The worst part is probably just the fact there's not much else to do.

Take antibiotics. If those don't work, take the stronger one. If that doesn't work, surgically clean away the infection. Hope for recovery.

What else can a guy do?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not a doctor and I have no idea how serious this really is but I can't help but fear the worst. He's had so many different injuries already in his career. It seems like he's always out with something. Maybe he's just got one of those bodies that can't stay healthy. I wish him all the best. We miss him and we need him.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
I'm not a doctor and I have no idea how serious this really is but I can't help but fear the worst. He's had so many different injuries already in his career. It seems like he's always out with something. Maybe he's just got one of those bodies that can't stay healthy. I wish him all the best. We miss him and we need him.

Staph infection has nothing to do with how his body is, and whether or not it can or can't stay healthy.

The Joker*

Staph infection has nothing to do with how his body is, and whether or not it can or can't stay healthy.
I mean a staph infection literally has everything to do with his body, but I see what you're saying.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Who knows at this point.

He's an athlete so he will probably be fine.

I've rea that staff puts you at risk for blood disorders and future infections but it's not a high risk.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Just saying that since he's been drafted there seems to have been something different wrong with him every year. I realize a staph infection is a different type of animal entirely but he's had a lot go wrong with him.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Just saying that since he's been drafted there seems to have been something different wrong with him every year. I realize a staph infection is a different type of animal entirely but he's had a lot go wrong with him.

The weird thing is that all of his injuries have been of the 'freak injury' variety, rather than the 'injury prone' type of injury.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I know this is a freak occurrence, but is anyone else bothered by the fact Klefbom hasn't played a ton of hockey since before his draft year?

The SEL plays 55 games per season.

Klefbom played:
2011 GP: 23 - Missed 32
2012 GP: 33 - Missed 22
2013 GP: 11 - Missed 44

AHL plays 76 Games
NHL playes 82 games.

2014 GP: 65 - Missed 11-17
2015 GP: 69 - Missed 7-13
2016 GP: 30 - Missed 52

Should also mention, Klefbom has only ever played 2 games of Playoff hockey in his entire SEL/Professional hockey career.

That is a LOT of F-ing time missed. There is no record of him ever playing a full season of hockey.

:/

Last edited:

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I know this is a freak occurrence, but is anyone else bothered by the face Klefbom hasn't played a ton of hockey since before his draft year?

The SEL plays 55 games per season.

Klefbom played:
2011 GP: 23 - Missed 32
2012 GP: 33 - Missed 22
2013 GP: 11 - Missed 44

AHL plays 76 Games
NHL playes 82 games.

2014 GP: 65 - Missed 11-17
2015 GP: 69 - Missed 7-13
2016 GP: 30 - Missed 52

Should also mention, Klefbom has only ever played 2 games of Playoff hockey in his entire SEL/Professional hockey career.

That is a LOT of F-ing time missed. There is no record of him ever playing a full season of hockey.

:/

And he's darn good for such a limited playing time. Gonna get better.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
well maybe they can convince (or force) him get a full medical if he recovers before the draft or something? I mean he's a young top 4 Dman on an okay contract, that should count for something. I guess if the value isn't there forget about it but it's one thing after the next with this guy. If I'm the Oilers I dangle him and package him with another one of their forwards potentially to sweeten the pot in their quest for a top 3 Dman, that's all I'm saying. They have Nurse and Davidson emerging, with Oesterle and to an extent Reinhart there as well.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
well maybe they can convince (or force) him get a full medical if he recovers before the draft or something? I mean he's a young top 4 Dman on an okay contract, that should count for something. I guess if the value isn't there forget about it but it's one thing after the next with this guy. If I'm the Oilers I dangle him and package him with another one of their forwards potentially to sweeten the pot in their quest for a top 3 Dman, that's all I'm saying. They have Nurse and Davidson emerging, with Oesterle and to an extent Reinhart there as well.

Holy mackerel we've got a lot of (bottom pairing) defensemen!

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Staph infections have nothing to do with him unless he's diabetic or some other b.s.

He is injury prone but sometimes guys figure it out. Unless we are trading him for another dman of similar upside, trading is a horrible idea for a team like the Oilers.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Pretty bad news that is for sure. Infections go far beyond 'he will be out for a while and can rehab'.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Lots of athletes get MRSA. I don't know how squemish people are around here, but look up photos of Kevin Randlemans staph infection. It literally ate a hole in his body. About the size of a saucer.

lol ya randlemans was straight nasty, but his was more in teh quad region where there is more fatty tissue and muscle. the rumor is klefs is in his ankles and thats bad as there isnt much there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad