Post-Game Talk: KK's $20 signing bonus wins again. Ducharme's team loses once again.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
This team was crap since training camp. But seeing how many guys out with an injury or on covid protocol is ridiculous. It really is insane to not only see how many guys are out of the line-up, but pretty much 95% of the regulars are out.
The season was over the moment Bergevin failed to upgrade the mobility of our defence this past off season. Not to be too pessimistic, but the nadir we are suffering will last at least 2 more years. So get use to the frustration of supporting a team in full re-build mode. There is no other choice as there is no quick fix. None at all. And if we miss hit on our draft choices over the next two years we are looking towards the end of decade before we are competitive again.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
The Habs never went into the season intending to tank, they’re just terrible and injuries haven’t helped. Bergevin left a mess, including a pile of bad contracts signed in the last 16 months. It’ll take a while to turn this team around.
I don’t think it’ll take a while to turn this around. There are a lot of good pieces still here and we can get some good prospects through vet trades.what’s needed before next season is a new coach that the players respect and listen to amd a change of this losing mentality

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

expy

Nov 2, 2010
I don’t think it’ll take a while to turn this around. There are a lot of good pieces still here and we can get some good prospects through vet trades.what’s needed before next season is a new coach that the players respect and listen to amd a change of this losing mentality
We have some absolutely terrible contracts, and Price is still on the cap and won't be on LTIR forever. Gallagher contract, Drouin, among the worst. Lots of 3 or 4 year contracts to players who shouldn't be in the league as well. And the coaching contracts... My goodness.

This team is broken beyond repair. It's not a repair we need, it's a complete rebuild and reset.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Over 50 years of following this team I can honestly say this is the most insane season I have ever witnessed on so many levels.

Same…and I watched this team religiously through the late 90s and early 2000s

I've been watching this team since 84 and it's hands down the worst season i've seen. Nothing will ever beat that i think.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Price had what I thought was routine surgery last July. Is he going to play this year? Is he done as a Hab?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

I agree Ducharme’s horrible and has to go. But I’m not sure how much some of the vets return. I think the Habs will get some decent picks (a 1st for Chiarot) but I’m not sure teams will give up blue chip prospects for them.

If they do trade for draft picks it’ll take years before those players make an actual impact.

Who do you think are the good pieces that will turn this team around? I can see Suzuki, Romanov, Anderson, maybe Caufield if he gets it together. I don’t think any of the prospects can step in and make an instant impact. Honestly right now I don’t think the Habs have a top line forward or top pairing defenceman on a contender.

Reactions: zeeto

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
We have some absolutely terrible contracts, and Price is still on the cap and won't be on LTIR forever. Gallagher contract, Drouin, among the worst. Lots of 3 or 4 year contracts to players who shouldn't be in the league as well. And the coaching contracts... My goodness.

This team is broken beyond repair. It's not a repair we need, it's a complete rebuild and reset.
For sure. You need to cut some bad contracts but we also have good ones too. The problem is, it’s impossible to evaluate any player in this losing environment. So right now we’re going to get fleeced because the value of our assets is artificially low cause the whole team, coaching structure and coaches suck

Reactions: PhysicX and 417

RandomTask26

Jan 6, 2020
They can just play Ouellet on the 4th line. In the grand scheme of thing it doesn't change anything, we are so far past the point where doing something like that would dilute the quality of the team.
I think Ouellet is injured. The only players on the taxi squad are Hillis, Belpedio and Fairbrother. And I thought the latter two were in COVID protocol?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Price had what I thought was routine surgery last July. Is he going to play this year? Is he done as a Hab?

Mid-January was his return date a month ago, afiak nothing changed since then, so that should still be true now.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
For sure. You need to cut some bad contracts but we also have good ones too. The problem is, it’s impossible to evaluate any player in this losing environment. So right now we’re going to get fleeced because the value of our assets is artificially low cause the whole team, coaching structure and coaches suck
I would argue it's easier to evaluate when the team sucks than when things are going well.

Reactions: Miller Time

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I agree Ducharme’s horrible and has to go. But I’m not sure how much some of the vets return. I think the Habs will get some decent picks (a 1st for Chiarot) but I’m not sure teams will give up blue chip prospects for them.

If they do trade for draft picks it’ll take years before those players make an actual impact.

Who do you think are the good pieces that will turn this team around? I can see Suzuki, Romanov, Anderson, maybe Caufield if he gets it together. I don’t think any of the prospects can step in and make an instant impact. Honestly right now I don’t think the Habs have a top line forward or top pairing defenceman on a contender.
I think Anderson is a unique and skilled power forward. Dvorak is not this bad. Even on Arizona he was better. He needs to be given a chance to see what he could do ok a functioning team. I don’t think Gally is this bad but is probably nursing an injury and is also demoralized. I think Poehling is playing well. I’m intrigued by Niku. Jake Allen is good.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I think Ouellet is injured. The only players on the taxi squad are Hillis, Belpedio and Fairbrother. And I thought the latter two were in COVID protocol?

Oh that possible that Ouellet is injured, I didn't check his status. If push come to shove they will get someone from the CHL, probably Mysak.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Jeff get GM and start things moving

When asked at tonight's presser, who would be called up to replace the newly absent players, Mumbles mentioned that he was going to meet Gorton about it after the presser. He also said that he met with Gorton prior to tonight's game for the personnel moves that applied tonight.

There may not be any major moves happening yet but Gorton is definitely active behind the scenes, even if he's just communicating with a concierge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad