KK not available to start training camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Penguins forward Kasperi Kapanen to miss start of training camp | TribLIVE.com

so i just thought this might be best as a seperate thread but if not, mods do your mod stuff. ;)

So JR made it sound like he might not be available to start the season even. My question is why does it always seem to go down like this. I mean it's asinine that you know, what?, a month ahead of time when training camp is going to start and still can't get things in place in time. Can't you come back to the states with enough time to work through immigration issues, and to leave a 14 days for quarantine? Perhaps I'm wrong, but a lot of times when this stuff pops up it almost feels like the team/player didn't do hardly any up front leg work to try and get him here sooner and available for camp, or at least the beginning of the season.

How many other players from finland are missing the start of training camp? If you told me all of them, then I'd be ok then. Olli Maatta is not missing any time with the kings. So just not sure what's up with this...

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Penguins forward Kasperi Kapanen to miss start of training camp | TribLIVE.com

so i just thought this might be best as a seperate thread but if not, mods do your mod stuff. ;)

So JR made it sound like he might not be available to start the season even. My question is why does it always seem to go down like this. I mean it's asinine that you know, what?, a month ahead of time when training camp is going to start and still can't get things in place in time. Can't you come back to the states with enough time to work through immigration issues, and to leave a 14 days for quarantine? Perhaps I'm wrong, but a lot of times when this stuff pops up it almost feels like the team/player didn't do hardly any up front leg work to try and get him here sooner and available for camp, or at least the beginning of the season.

How many other players from finland are missing the start of training camp? If you told me all of them, then I'd be ok then. Olli Maatta is not missing any time with the kings. So just not sure what's up with this...

Apparently theyve been trying to sort this out for a while.

Since he played for a Canadian team last year he needs a different work visa for the US.

Reactions: Gurglesons

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
From a person who follows esports often.

Work visas can be challenging to get and especially during covid I imagine other hurdles could come up.

I fully believe the team and player has put lots of effort in.

Trust me I have seen teams attempt to get a work visa for multiple months and then never get it for one player and they use a standin.

Reactions: Daeni10

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Apparently theyve been trying to sort this out for a while.

Since he played for a Canadian team last year he needs a different work visa for the US.
So how is Jankowski in camp since he played for a Canadian team last year? Is this because KK is Finnish? So, all Finns that had to modify their visas are in Finland right now?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
So how is Jankowski in camp since he played for a Canadian team last year? Is this because KK is Finnish? So, all Finns that had to modify their visas are in Finland right now?

Kapanen is a Finnish player playing in Canada. He needs a visa to play there.

He is now a Finnish player playing in the US. He needs a separate visa to play here.

Jankowski only needed to get a Visa from Canada to US.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Finland is certainly a part of it. I dont know all the ins and outs. But that is certainly part of the issue.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Typical PIT fans trying to find every reason to trash a player that has no control over being here.

really though, not "trashing" the player. i think i said this
Perhaps I'm wrong
and the clarification that other's are having issues as well.
It's just a bit mind blowing how inefficient this stuff is. I mean how hard is it to to put in a paper for a work visa and get it cleared, and you'd think that certain visa's like pro-sports, doctors, and other critical needs (sarcasm) would get to the front of the line.

guess this is like my priority mail package, 2 day priority mail form Michigan to PA, shipped 12/2, arrived on 12/28. go go government services...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

really though, not "trashing" the player. i think i said this and the clarification that other's are having issues as well.
It's just a bit mind blowing how inefficient this stuff is. I mean how hard is it to to put in a paper for a work visa and get it cleared, and you'd think that certain visa's like pro-sports, doctors, and other critical needs (sarcasm) would get to the front of the line.

guess this is like my priority mail package, 2 day priority mail form Michigan to PA, shipped 12/2, arrived on 12/28. go go government services...

The post office system was gutted by our president and everything regarding immigration around the world is f'd up regardless of the US trying to diminish the idea of quarantining on a regular basis.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
viking will only give him a pass if *every other player* is having a similar problem.

that's right if every other player in the world is not having the same issues then screw Kap, he's a loser! :P

seriously though, trying to say that if players in similar situations are having the same issues then it's understandable. and apparently that is the case. I didn't do a deep analysis and was actually asking the collective here about it more then anything. My gut reaction was that it sound's like he might miss the start of the season, I've heard of immigration stuff taking a few extra days to sort out, not 6 weeks, but... We are in unprecedented times. You'd think he'd be able to come over as a visitor and be in quarantine while the work visa paperwork is sorted out. So that he at least doesn't have that time slapped on the end after the paperwork goes through. But I dunno, maybe there is some weird rule where you can't do that.

Btw, I'm taking your reply as a tongue in cheek thing, I'm definitely not part of the fragile flower generation.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
that's right if every other player in the world is not having the same issues then screw Kap, he's a loser! :P

seriously though, trying to say that if players in similar situations are having the same issues then it's understandable. and apparently that is the case. I didn't do a deep analysis and was actually asking the collective here about it more then anything. My gut reaction was that it sound's like he might miss the start of the season, I've heard of immigration stuff taking a few extra days to sort out, not 6 weeks, but... We are in unprecedented times. You'd think he'd be able to come over as a visitor and be in quarantine while the work visa paperwork is sorted out. So that he at least doesn't have that time slapped on the end after the paperwork goes through. But I dunno, maybe there is some weird rule where you can't do that.

Btw, I'm taking your reply as a tongue in cheek thing, I'm definitely not part of the fragile flower generation.

Governments don't give a rats ass if you're coming in to be a professional athlete or a janitor. They have to go through the same process as anyone else. They can't just let someone in as a 'visitor' while their Visa is pending. The whole point of a work visa is that you're essentially a visitor for work.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
That makes KK seem a little less dumb. But Soderberg only recently signed with a team, KK has been on the Pens for months.

Work visas have a lot of weird requirements. Sports make them even weirder since technically each team is a different employer, but trades can happen. Until such time as they knew when Kapanen was coming over, they wouldn't have been able to get a visa for him. He wouldn't be coming over to "work" if there was no idea of when he would be "working" after all. Since Kapanen didn't already have a valid work visa in the United States, he had to wait to start the process until it was known when he would be starting work. If he had come over sooner, it would have had to be on a tourist visa, and he would have had to leave the country in order to get a valid work visa and come back (I've known a few people who had to go through this process).
So, he was technically on the Pens for a few months, but they've only known when training camp would start for a few weeks. And according to the PG's beat reporter, they've been working on it for weeks:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The title should probably say KK to miss training camp if he has to quarantine for 7 days. It’s already the 4th; he isn’t going to participate in training camp at this point.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Kylington is having the same issues coming back to Calgary. There always seems to be some visa issues for training camp, doubt covid has helped at all.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
So is KK still physically in Finland? I wonder if they could get him in Pittsburgh classified as a tourist or something like that, start the quarantine clock, and then bring him in as soon as his work papers clear. Maybe that is against the law. I admit I am not an expert on immigration law.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Granlund...you know the greatest UFA in league history that the Pens were morons for not signing...also having the same issues.
Yea but he was signed 2 weeks ago unlike dumbo KK. It’s hard to apply for a work visa if you aren’t employed in the league. August 25th, the day we overpaid for Kap, was a long, long time ago.

Also, he at least signed with the same team, and not starting from scratch like Mr. alarm clock malfunction.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Yea but he was signed 2 weeks ago unlike dumbo KK. It’s hard to apply for a work visa if you aren’t employed in the league. August 25th, the day we overpaid for Kap, was a long, long time ago.

He signed with the same team. How do you explain Khudobin, who has been employed by the same team for 2 years, genius?

Reactions: Khelandros
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad