Kiviranta scores hat-trick in game 7 including OT winner; 7th game 7 hat-trick in NHL history

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Lol it's one game. If this kid was that good he would have cracked the Stars roster.

Let's see a repeat performance next game before we start having him as the next Selanne.
Thank you captain serious.

Didn't JFK have a shift in the 2nd period where he dominated MacKinnon defensively? Beat him like three times in a 1 on 1 situation.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It's not like guys get many opportunities to rise to the occasion with game 7 theatrics. There's only been 47 game 7s, after tomorrows Philly/NYI game that is, so it's not like many chances arise to be a stud in a true winner take all elimination game. I'm shocked that there's only been 46 game 7s to date. Kivi made his mark in history whether you like him/it or not.
Dude your math is way off! There's like a handfull of game 7s every year. Even with just having 2 game 7s every playoff you would reach 46 game 7s in just 23 years.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dude your math is way off! There's like a handfull of game 7s every year. Even with just having 2 game 7s every playoff you would reach 46 game 7s in just 23 years.

This was the 197th game 7, however it was only the 45th to go to OT. That’s probably where the confusion is from OP.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Lol it's one game. If this kid was that good he would have cracked the Stars roster.

Let's see a repeat performance next game before we start having him as the next Selanne.
He scored a game 7 hat trick. He achieved that, like it or not.

I don't get the need to shoot down a young guy for achieving something historic. The vast, vast majority of players will never enter the record books with him.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Meh, I bet this kid doesn't even play in the NHL anymore in 3 years.

Let's see him get a hat trick for every game in the WCF and then we will revisit this idea of him being good.

Man you're taking this way too seriously. Chill out.

And for that reason, yes he is certainly the next Selanne already. This game proved he is better even

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Man you're taking this way too seriously. Chill out.

And for that reason, yes he is certainly the next Selanne already. This game proved he is better even
Check his post history before you spend any more time arguing with him

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Still a great story regardless. I know we have seen unheralded players come in with great Game 7 performances, but most of us didn't even know this guys was even on the Stars roster before this game and he scored a Hat Trick and the Game 7 OT Winner. I would still consider it a historic, single-game performance in the playoffs.

MacKinnunen

Jan 4, 2020
I wish I had the option to listen to that Finnish announcer, he had a tremendous call of a Bryzgalov fluke mistake goal in 2012:

-------------

Sorry for OT.
He has a podcast(mainly in finnish though) with Kimmo Timonen. Scott Hartnell as a guest earlier this week(english starts in 21:00):

IMO he is the best finnish announcer ever. Knows his stuff, super passionate and still unbiased. Some extra hype when a finn scores, but I wish you had heard him before Kiviranta's second goal few seconds earlier, when Avs scored...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars coaching staff put Kivi on a line with two of the Stars best scorers and he had a huge game. Is he now destined to become the next Gretzky ? :laugh: No.

He had a fantastic game on a line with some very good players . Sometimes a role player has a huge game and yes it can happen in a Game 7 .

Stars signed him to be a quick hard working defensive forward and everytime he was in he provided that. The offense yesterday came unexpected but this can happen when you're in the right spots at the right some .

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Stars coaching staff put Kivi on a line with two of the Stars best scorers and he had a huge game. Is he now destined to become the next Gretzky ? :laugh: No.

He had a fantastic game on a line with some very good players . Sometimes a role player has a huge game and yes it can happen in a Game 7 .

Stars signed him to be a quick hard working defensive forward and everytime he was in he provided that. The offense yesterday came unexpected but this can happen when you're in the right spots at the right some .
You're really going there? Started the game in the 4th line with Comeau and Faksa and then he was moved up cause of his great play to play with Hintz and Gurianov. Yeah he was carried by those forementioned superstars for sure...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
You're really going there? Started the game in the 4th line with Comeau and Faksa and then he was moved up to play with Hintz and Gurianov. Yeah he was carried by those forementioned superstars for sure...

No . He never played with Comeau and Faksa. Benn was there from shift one. It was litterally the first line Bowness put out there.

I'm not saying he was carried. I'm saying he played with very good players and took advantage of that.

The first goal was a nice tip off a Gurianov shot , the second was a rebound off a Hintz shot that yes he helped set up and the third was really good movement by him to get open and then score off a good feed by Sekera.

He obviously wasn't carried but playing with good players helps someone unexpected to have a great game.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad