Kiviranta scores hat-trick in game 7 including OT winner; 7th game 7 hat-trick in NHL history

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
That’s a cool story. I had never heard about that guy. I like stories like these. And the guy will at least be, from now on, a good trivia question. Let him have his moment of fame

Reactions: Hasa92

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
It's not like guys get many opportunities to rise to the occasion with game 7 theatrics. There's only been 47 game 7s, after tomorrows Philly/NYI game that is, so it's not like many chances arise to be a stud in a true winner take all elimination game. I'm shocked that there's only been 46 game 7s to date. Kivi made his mark in history whether you like him/it or not.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
What a moment for this kid. The unlikely heroes is what makes the Stanley Cup Playoffs the high water mark for sports tournaments.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Meh, I bet this kid doesn't even play in the NHL anymore in 3 years.

Let's see him get a hat trick for every game in the WCF and then we will revisit this idea of him being good.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Meh, I bet this kid doesn't even play in the NHL anymore in 3 years.

Let's see him get a hat trick for every game in the WCF and then we will revisit this idea of him being good.

Could be so. Let's hope he get to play more with renewed confidence. Whatever, Kivi sent almost single handedly Colorado Avalanche to a delayed summer vacation. The place where the team now go throw some beach ball looks something like this:

Anu-blogikuva2.png

Kiviranta 'Stone beach'

No matter how his future career will develop, it doesn't take anything out from his deeds today. Credits where credits due.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I wish I had the option to listen to that Finnish announcer, he had a tremendous call of a Bryzgalov fluke mistake goal in 2012:

-------------

But going back to Kiviranta, I was reminded of a conversation I had a couple weeks ago with a friend of a friend who seemed surprised that I preferred hockey over basketball. One of the first things I pointed out was that I like that a team's top player might only play 1/3 of the game in hockey, so the guys further down the lineup have a larger role in a team's success. I love when a bottom six forward is the unlikely hero.

That said, I will admit that I had zero idea who Kiviranta was before today's game.

Reactions: Kaako Kappo

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
It didn't really count because he's not a real NHL player. The Avs had many booboos, and everyone knows that teams aren't trying that hard in the bubble. What a BUM!

:sarcasm:

pelderhostiga

May 2, 2014
I need someone to photoshop Reilly Smith and Shea Theodore having PTSD from Kiviranta as he humiliated them in WC final last year.

Attachments

• 39e0602c280a4ed790c1a4ddc788ad60.gif
    39e0602c280a4ed790c1a4ddc788ad60.gif
    6 MB · Views: 9

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017

Honestly surprised its such a short list

According to Wikipedia there have been 179 game 7s in NHL history, meaning there has been a hat trick in ~4% of them. Don't know what's the regular season percentage.

ryantruran

Jun 25, 2019
Pump the brakes there bub.

How many players had to score a hat trick in game 7 to make the team in the future though?
Are you assuming that if a team is in the lead there is no desire to continue scoring.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I’m sure it’s in this thread somewhere, but postgame they said he’s the first rookie to ever score a Hattie in a game 7.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
OP puts it a bit strongly, but Jesus, some of y’all need to focus on the positive shit. That was an amazing game and an amazing performance, it’ll be a fantastic story in the future, and I just can’t believe some people’s first reaction is “ya, but he’s not that good.” No shit, folks, I know you’re just reacting to OP but it’s just odd to me to ONLY tell ‘em they’re wrong- like, Jesus, acknowledge how cool that was at least?

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Just think if it was MacKinnon that did that, score the tying goal late and then the OT winner for the hat trick.

We'd be having his hall of fame induction ceremony right now here on HFBoards and posters would be screaming MacKinnon is greater than McDavid AINEC!!

But since it was only Kiviranta it's just meh, pump the brakes, just easy empty net goals on an AHL goalie...

Not a good game 7 hero for narratives.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Lol it's one game. If this kid was that good he would have cracked the Stars roster.

Let's see a repeat performance next game before we start having him as the next Selanne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad