Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Per JB
“the Rangers no longer have the rights to Danish-born defenceman Aron Kiviharju. Kitchener selected the rearguard in the second round of this year’s CHL import draft. Kiviharju is a highly-prized prospect that is expected to go in the first round of next year’s NHL draft but is currently sidelined until January with an injury.”
I don’t understand. Did we release his rights? If so, why?

Reactions: Ward Cornell

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Maybe something relating to Mesar returning? Likely told them he wasn’t coming next year or team is concerned about his knee.anyways it allows them to draft someone this year who will likely be a D
Doesn’t make sense to me. With two NHL drafted imports (Mesar. Hamara), we were allowed to make two selections in the last import draft (Pobezal. Kivijarhu).

What changed? Having to release Kivijarhu because Mesar came back doesn’t make sense because Hamara coming back should have triggered a release? No?

Or did the Hamara trade trigger something?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
It might just be the Kiviharju is dead set on never playing in the OHL. Him or his agent may have told the Rangers that and the Rangers have walked away from him.

Reactions: Krangers08

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Can only protect 3 can’t you? I remember reading during the import draft that rangers could pick twice because Mesar was on a a different protected list for being a first round pick. Maybe with the return of Mesar they had to be down to 3.

Reactions: Coaches Coroner

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Can only protect 3 can’t you? I remember reading during the import draft that rangers could pick twice because Mesar was on a a different protected list for being a first round pick. Maybe with the return of Mesar they had to be down to 3.
Still don’t get it. If you’re right about this separate list for 1st rounders / three imports max, then when Mesar was returned here, there would have been a two week window for the Rangers to get down to three imports.

If that was the case, and MM has a trade request in from Hamara from what I understand, quite a while ago, then he has a decision to make. Trade Hamara within the two weeks or release one of the other drafted players.

For me, it’s a no brainer. You grant Hamara his request and get the eventual deal done inside the two weeks to preserve the two imports we drafted last summer.

Did MM drop the ball here? Or are the rules different? Is there any literature out there spelling out the rules regarding import players?

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Well, the Rangers seem to be passing all the tests. The only higher end western team they’ve yet to play is Guelph.

At some point, MM is going to have to walk into the Ranger dressing room and announce that if this team continues to win, he’ll vow to not tear it down in a rebuild.

If and when that day comes, and we then continue to win, MM will have to get pretty inventive to improve this team while at the same time, shore up the future.

I really think the only way to do that is to put together the type of deal that I suggested a couple pages ago. Move a 1st rounder + picks for a returning 05 high end player.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Still don’t get it. If you’re right about this separate list for 1st rounders / three imports max, then when Mesar was returned here, there would have been a two week window for the Rangers to get down to three imports.

If that was the case, and MM has a trade request in from Hamara from what I understand, quite a while ago, then he has a decision to make. Trade Hamara within the two weeks or release one of the other drafted players.

For me, it’s a no brainer. You grant Hamara his request and get the eventual deal done inside the two weeks to preserve the two imports we drafted last summer.

Did MM drop the ball here? Or are the rules different? Is there any literature out there spelling out the rules regarding import players?
Hard to find the official rules. Here what I found

CHL clubs are permitted to carry only two import players on their team or protected list every year. However, if a CHL team has an Import who was an NHL first round pick they receive the opportunity to add another player to their protected list to cover should that first round import make the pro level. There are other scenarios which can allow you to carry the rights of three (such as having an OA Import, having an Import on their protected list who didn't show the year prior, having a player signed to an NHL contract on your list, etc). It is a pretty complicated process.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Hard to find the official rules. Here what I found

CHL clubs are permitted to carry only two import players on their team or protected list every year. However, if a CHL team has an Import who was an NHL first round pick they receive the opportunity to add another player to their protected list to cover should that first round import make the pro level. There are other scenarios which can allow you to carry the rights of three (such as having an OA Import, having an Import on their protected list who didn't show the year prior, having a player signed to an NHL contract on your list, etc). It is a pretty complicated process.
The article also includes a breakdown for both Ranger picks this year if anyone is interested .
Ranger knew when drafting Kiviharju there was little to no chance he’s plays in the league. Drafted him to see if when drafted NHL teams would force him to come. McKenzie stated he was someone they wanted to take a flyer on and see what happens.

Reactions: Coaches Coroner

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Well, the Rangers seem to be passing all the tests. The only higher end western team they’ve yet to play is Guelph.

At some point, MM is going to have to walk into the Ranger dressing room and announce that if this team continues to win, he’ll vow to not tear it down in a rebuild.

If and when that day comes, and we then continue to win, MM will have to get pretty inventive to improve this team while at the same time, shore up the future.

I really think the only way to do that is to put together the type of deal that I suggested a couple pages ago. Move a 1st rounder + picks for a returning 05 high end player.
Maybe he can have Ty Nelson walk into the dressing room and make the announcement for him 😁.

I can dream - it's still early in the morning.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers beat another top squad in yesterdays contest. Penalties threw a bit of a wrench into the game in the 3rd period. Rangers held on with great goaltending and PK. Rangers scoring continues to stymie the opposition. Listening to MM in the interview he basically said all teams have the same issues to deal with as far as suspensions , injuries and trades every season. He said they will let thing ride for now until further into the season when things start to settle out in the standing and they see where this team stands. In other words if it ain't broken don't try to fix it. Good plan at this point in time.

Last edited:

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
The 4th line probably doesn't get a lot of credit that maybe it should deserve. I felt that Bottineau, who always works hard, had his 2nd good game in a row. These guys really compliment each other, but I think what makes this line click in the end is Pugliese. To me, he's the "straw that stirs the drink" :) .

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Xhekaj II is a project but has an attitude and edge that can't be taught.
I'm sure Xhekaj I didn't pull any punches with Xhekaj II as kids. Pun intended.

The 4th line probably doesn't get a lot of credit that maybe it should deserve. I felt that Bottineau, who always works hard, had his 2nd good game in a row. These guys really compliment each other, but I think what makes this line click in the end is Pugliese. To me, he's the "straw that stirs the drink" :) .
Jussi has defined the role of the 4th line and Pug leads the way. They embrace their job on the ice.

Last I looked all they have left is the falls and some grape vineyards. Mark Hunter took everything else.
Actually, I heard the falls were moving to London in the spring...

• Haha
Reactions: rangersblues

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'm sure Xhekaj I didn't pull any punches with Xhekaj II as kids. Pun intended.

Jussi has defined the role of the 4th line and Pug leads the way. They embrace their job on the ice.

Actually, I heard the falls were moving to London in the spring...
Heard Mark traded Dale's old camel coloured sports jacket for the falls.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
And he brings a different element than Romano. I've liked Stark from the first time I saw him in camp.
Even though we don't see that much of Stark to really evaluate his talent he does look like he will make a huge impact here in KW going forward. When he is out there you see flashes of what could be a solid player in a couple of seasons.

Reactions: Gondrex

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Even though we don't see that much of Stark to really evaluate his talent he does look like he will make a huge impact here in KW going forward. When he is out there you see flashes of what could be a solid player in a couple of seasons.
We’re seeing why he was ranked as a first round talent during his whole u16 year. Romano will be a good player as he’s shown spurts. Some just take longer to adjust

Offside by a mile

Sep 27, 2019
I know I’m going to go against popular opinion here, but as a self-proclaimed super fan and long time season ticket holder i cannot get behind us being buyers this year. Especially if that means we're going to be dealing 1 of Romano, Reid, Ellinas or Campbell. That's our core going forward. Not to mention i don't see how Macneil and Arquette don't make the jump next year as 17 yr olds-similar to Sop, Martin,Motew ect. i know the Covid year made some of them join at 18 but you get my point.( both 4th round picks this past draft that had great camps) Buried I’ll admit with this years draft class and the 4-16 yr old rules. But that would give us 6-2007's to build around.

Saginaw is in the West and hosting ( currently on a 5 game win streak ) and has 6-2nd rd picks within the next 3 years to trade to improve their current roster. If we were in the EAST i could get behind being buyers as winning the East could be enough to make the Memorial cup ( assuming Saginaw wins the West). Being in the WEST and having to go through the front door just doesn’t make any sense. Do we really believe we're going to beat both London and Saginaw on route to the League championship. I just can't get my head around it. I see us buying with our limited draft picks, possibly trading Romano and losing in the 2nd round again. I'm sorry if i sound pessimistic but we're playing with house money right now with the return of Schmidt and Mesar. Lets flip some of our assets and build around this 07 Group. We could be in a position as soon as next year with Rehkopf as a 19 yr old and Parsons as an OA to do some damage, especially if we can hit on our picks like we did this year.

I'm curious to hear other opinions. Someone talk me into being a buyer. I just can't get behind it.

( For the record i don't want to trade Rehkopf this year)

I would be up for dealing Mesar, Bru, and Schmidt.

Next Years lineup could look something like this. We would Lose Pug unfortunately keeping 3 other OA's.

We would Still have and Import spot and room for 2-16 yr old’s to be in and out of the lineup.

Fwds
SwickRehkopfMissle
EllinasRomanoLam
StarkMercer1st Rounder
BottineauMoreyArquette
DefGoalies
ReidAndoParsons
MacneilCampbellImport
Scott2nd rounder

Last edited:

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
I know I’m going to go against popular opinion here, but as a self-proclaimed super fan and long time season ticket holder i cannot get behind us being buyers this year. Especially if that means we're going to be dealing 1 of Romano, Reid, Ellinas or Campbell. That's our core going forward. Not to mention i don't see how Macneil and Arquette don't make the jump next year as 17 yr olds-similar to Sop, Martin,Motew ect. i know the Covid year made some of them join at 18 but you get my point.( both 4th round picks this past draft that had great camps) Buried I’ll admit with this years draft class and the 4-16 yr old rules. But that would give us 6-2007's to build around.

Saginaw is in the East and hosting ( currently on a 5 game win streak ) and has 6-2nd rd picks within the next 3 years to trade to improve their current roster. If we were in the West i could get behind being buyers as winning the West could be enough to make the Memorial cup ( assuming Saginaw wins the East). Being in the EAST and having to go through the front door just doesn’t make any sense. Do we really believe we're going to beat both London and Saginaw on route to the League championship. I just can't get my head around it. I see us buying with our limited draft picks, possibly trading Romano and losing in the 2nd round again. I'm sorry if i sound pessimistic but we're playing with house money right now with the return of Schmidt and Mesar. Lets flip some of our assets and build around this 07 Group. We could be in a position as soon as next year with Rehkopf as a 19 yr old and Parsons as an OA to do some damage, especially if we can hit on our picks like we did this year.

I'm curious to hear other opinions. Someone talk me into being a buyer. I just can't get behind it.

( For the record i don't want to trade Rehkopf this year)

I would be up for dealing Mesar, Bru, and Schmidt.

Next Years lineup could look something like this. We would Lose Pug unfortunately keeping 3 other OA's.

We would Still have and Import spot and room for 2-16 yr old’s to be in and out of the lineup.

Missle-OARehkopfSwick-OA
LamRomanoEllinas
StarkMercer1st Rounder
BottineauMoreyArquette
DefGoalies
ReidAndoParsons-OA
MacneilCampbellImport ?
2nd rounderScott
you might want to check your facts, Saginaw is in the West. I do strongly appose giving up one of this years drafted players. If in first at deadline just tweek it a bit but please don't give up the future, we've suffered enough

Offside by a mile

Sep 27, 2019
you might want to check your facts, Saginaw is in the West. I do strongly appose giving up one of this years drafted players. If in first at deadline just tweek it a bit but please don't give up the future, we've suffered enough
Had them backwards but my point still stands. Also i always find it weird to refer to Kitchener in the West, but that's whole other story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad