Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
If Martin gets dealt that leaves about 5 consistently productive veteran forwards, and the loss of some grit up front. In that scenario, instead of looking to fill the import spot, maybe focus on a physical forward with a degree of talent. Our precious few picks will only buy so much.

Is Xhekaj for sale? He would likely take a bunch of picks + an '07. Come playoff time, you're going to see more of those physical games that we witnessed last Sunday. Take away Martin, and this team would lack a lot of that up front. I think a Xhekaj type could be the answer and could arguably figure in the top 6 (?)

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Is Xhekaj for sale? He would likely take a bunch of picks + an '07. Come playoff time, you're going to see more of those physical games that we witnessed last Sunday. Take away Martin, and this team would lack a lot of that up front. I think a Xhekaj type could be the answer and could arguably figure in the top 6 (?)
No disrespect to you or Florian, but MM can’t trade an 07 1st rounder plus picks, if that’s what you meant, for Florian Xhekaj.

Massive overpayment for that player.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
With the Hamara trade, we now have 1st. 2nd. 3rd. 4th in the ‘24 draft. We need to protect these picks and if there’s a way to do it, via soft sell, acquire another 2nd ‘24 if not a 3rd ‘24 as well.

Five picks in the first three rounds in the next draft would give our 07’s a good supporting cast going forward.

Yes, you can only ice four 16 year olds but if we have 5 picks in the first three rounds, use one of the thirds on a goalie.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
It was opened but without Mesar there to say "hi"....:welcome:
Hey I know it's a pipe dream but it does seem like the kid would be more challenged in the OHL AND on what has become a team to contend with. Let's face it. Before the season, Rangers were thought to be a bottom feeder in its "rebuild" year. Why come over for that? But now, there's a whole new narrative and sounds like MM will pounce on it. Worth a try.

Reactions: RB76 and GeoBlue

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
No disrespect to you or Florian, but MM can’t trade an 07 1st rounder plus picks, if that’s what you meant, for Florian Xhekaj.

Massive overpayment for that player.

Agree on the '07 (should have had my morning coffee first :) ) . That would certainly be reserved for higher end players. I guess my point is that should Xhekaj be available, unless there are other reasonably talented guys with his physical element, may be in high demand and require a high payment. If there are others available that I'm not aware of, then the supply-demand thing may be more reasonable. I just think Kitchener needs sufficient "toughness" up front.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Xhekaj was here in the rookie camp last year. Guess MM and the staff looked at him as one dimensional. He does have that edge to him and is the type of player the opposing bench is aware of when he is on the ice. Point per game player? I like the edge he brings. Rangers certainly haven't got enough assets in the bank to give up a ton for one player. One interesting point the coach made was the fact he thinks this squad can play better going forward. Jussi has a system in place and doesn't seem satisfied yet with where the team is defensively.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Xhekaj was here in the rookie camp last year. Guess MM and the staff looked at him as one dimensional. He does have that edge to him and is the type of player the opposing bench is aware of when he is on the ice. Point per game player? I like the edge he brings. Rangers certainly haven't got enough assets in the bank to give up a ton for one player. One interesting point the coach made was the fact he thinks this squad can play better going forward. Jussi has a system in place and doesn't seem satisfied yet with where the team is defensively.
At training camp last yr, I suspect Jackeye the 2nd looked at the perceived depth of the Rangers and thought his icetime would be minimum therefore signed elsewhere.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Thinking of import options. Although very slim chance….Do we still hold the rights to Calle Odelius and Mattias Havelid? Can you sign a free agent import during the season? Let’s say Jussi has a player that would be willing to come over but not property of any CHL team. Could he be signed? Again slim but if we can add an import player for nothing then that gives us the ability to save some assets.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
In reading some of the other team forums, it appears the injuries are starting to pile up for many teams which is going to affect the trade market.

I would speculate that the best pieces would move early but it’s a tough call to decide to trade now or wait till December/ January.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
In reading some of the other team forums, it appears the injuries are starting to pile up for many teams which is going to affect the trade market.

I would speculate that the best pieces would move early but it’s a tough call to decide to trade now or wait till December/ January.
I think it's too early to trade given our limited assets. Unless an offer too good to refuse comes along.

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com
Good luck today! Wish hounds didn’t have back to back games, but I expect this to be a solid hockey game!!! Looking forward to it!!

They gave the Soo a bit of a run for their money last night. Must be a bottle or 2 of wine somewhere in the cupboard?

Hounds looked very off, I feel like they were looking past Niagara..

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
How are they looking? Decided to stay home and watch football since Martin wasn’t playing.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
When they sort out the overage situation, Schmidt needs to go, Martin is a stud up front in playoffs. Our young D get better and better each game.
Martin is a playoff stud up front. Sop is on a 40 goal 110 point pace. Schmidt (once this coaching staff gets him molded) and Motew are defensive studs on the backend.

Before the Hamara trade, I had one of the OA D going. But now we’d have to replace a D if an OA D is the odd man out.

And if an OA forward goes, he’ll have to be replaced.

What to do.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Per JB
“the Rangers no longer have the rights to Danish-born defenceman Aron Kiviharju. Kitchener selected the rearguard in the second round of this year’s CHL import draft. Kiviharju is a highly-prized prospect that is expected to go in the first round of next year’s NHL draft but is currently sidelined until January with an injury.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad