Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023

Fwds
SwickRehkopfMissle
EllinasRomanoLam
StarkMercer1st Rounder
BottineauMoreyArquette
DefGoalies
ReidAndoParsons
MacneilCampbellImport
Scott2nd rounder
I agree with you on the selling part mainly because I’m not a second guesser and have been in sell mode since camp. I want to see them try and build powerhouse for 2027. I think we get both of those guys signed pairing with Edward’s making the jump in goal. With Jussi track record wouldn’t surprise me if we get a NCAA commit or American to jump ship.
Import will be a defence to pair with Pobezal (best case scenario)

Reactions: RB76

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Even though we don't see that much of Stark to really evaluate his talent he does look like he will make a huge impact here in KW going forward. When he is out there you see flashes of what could be a solid player in a couple of seasons.

Many of us were impressed in getting Stark in the 3rd round (a former Marlboros captain, 40 points in 30 games, ranked by many in the first round). But I do recall reading a disappointing post - at least for me - on this board just after the draft, claiming that he was picked where he was because he had limited upside. Yet I see a kid who is a great skater - at minimum, as good as average in this league, and even at his present age. He appears to be smart with the puck, and has a decent shot. Also, exhibition game or otherwise, not just any rookie can go out and score 4 goals in a game....at least in my opinion.

Dunno, maybe the poster was a scout and knows his stuff - probably can project a player a heck of a lot better than me. But having seen the kid play for a few months now, I'll go out on a limb and say the kid has a good chance of having a bright future on this team and in this league.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
Saginaw is in the West and hosting ( currently on a 5 game win streak ) and has 6-2nd rd picks within the next 3 years to trade to improve their current roster. If we were in the EAST i could get behind being buyers as winning the East could be enough to make the Memorial cup ( assuming Saginaw wins the West). Being in the WEST and having to go through the front door just doesn’t make any sense. Do we really believe we're going to beat both London and Saginaw on route to the League championship. I just can't get my head around it. I see us buying with our limited draft picks, possibly trading Romano and losing in the 2nd round again. I'm sorry if i sound pessimistic but we're playing with house money right now with the return of Schmidt and Mesar. Lets flip some of our assets and build around this 07 Group. We could be in a position as soon as next year with Rehkopf as a 19 yr old and Parsons as an OA to do some damage, especially if we can hit on our picks like we did this year.

I'm curious to hear other opinions. Someone talk me into being a buyer. I just can't get behind it.

( For the record i don't want to trade Rehkopf this year)

I would be up for dealing Mesar, Bru, and Schmidt.

Next Years lineup could look something like this. We would Lose Pug unfortunately keeping 3 other OA's.

We would Still have and Import spot and room for 2-16 yr old’s to be in and out of the lineup.

Fwds
SwickRehkopfMissle
EllinasRomanoLam
StarkMercer1st Rounder
BottineauMoreyArquette
DefGoalies
ReidAndoParsons
MacneilCampbellImport
Scott2nd rounder

I know I’m going to go against popular opinion here, but as a self-proclaimed super fan and long time season ticket holder i cannot get behind us being buyers this year. Especially if that means we're going to be dealing 1 of Romano, Reid, Ellinas or Campbell. That's our core going forward. Not to mention i don't see how Macneil and Arquette don't make the jump next year as 17 yr olds-similar to Sop, Martin,Motew ect. i know the Covid year made some of them join at 18 but you get my point.( both 4th round picks this past draft that had great camps) Buried I’ll admit with this years draft class and the 4-16 yr old rules. But that would give us 6-2007's to build around.

Saginaw is in the West and hosting ( currently on a 5 game win streak ) and has 6-2nd rd picks within the next 3 years to trade to improve their current roster. If we were in the EAST i could get behind being buyers as winning the East could be enough to make the Memorial cup ( assuming Saginaw wins the West). Being in the WEST and having to go through the front door just doesn’t make any sense. Do we really believe we're going to beat both London and Saginaw on route to the League championship. I just can't get my head around it. I see us buying with our limited draft picks, possibly trading Romano and losing in the 2nd round again. I'm sorry if i sound pessimistic but we're playing with house money right now with the return of Schmidt and Mesar. Lets flip some of our assets and build around this 07 Group. We could be in a position as soon as next year with Rehkopf as a 19 yr old and Parsons as an OA to do some damage, especially if we can hit on our picks like we did this year.

I'm curious to hear other opinions. Someone talk me into being a buyer. I just can't get behind it.

( For the record i don't want to trade Rehkopf this year)

I would be up for dealing Mesar, Bru, and Schmidt.

Next Years lineup could look something like this. We would Lose Pug unfortunately keeping 3 other OA's.

We would Still have and Import spot and room for 2-16 yr old’s to be in and out of the lineup.

Fwds
SwickRehkopfMissle
EllinasRomanoLam
StarkMercer1st Rounder
BottineauMoreyArquette
DefGoalies
ReidAndoParsons
MacneilCampbellImport
Scott2nd rounder
Agree, IMO the best option we have is to wait and see how things play out over the next month or so. London and Saginaw will make their play and we can decide then how to proceed. Our boys value keeps going up with every win and so will our options.

Reactions: East Avenue Bully

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
When the year started I was firmly in the sell camp, but as the season has gone on I have moved from hard sell, to soft sell, to maybe even be a buyer now. I think that a good analogy that I keep coming back to is the Family Guy cut away about a boat or a mystery box. You can either get a boat or a mystery box with anything inside of it. In our current case I would say that this season is the boat and that the 2027 season is the mystery box. Sure there could be anything in the mystery box (2027) including a memorial cup winning season (especially if we host the event) but it could just as well be another 2022-23 campaign for all we know. I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes you should just go with what you go, instead of choosing some hypothetical scenario down the road.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Agree, IMO the best option we have is to wait and see how things play out over the next month or so. London and Saginaw will make their play and we can decide then how to proceed. Our boys value keeps going up with every win and so will our options.
You can’t sit back and wait to see what the opposition will do at the deadline and react to it.

Can’t remember what year it was, but I remember London making a trade at the deadline on the condition the deal wouldn’t be announced until minutes before the deadline. The team they did the deal with were to tell all other suitors that players x, y, and z weren’t being traded.

Then boom, the deal went through thus preventing other contenders an opportunity to match.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
When the year started I was firmly in the sell camp, but as the season has gone on I have moved from hard sell, to soft sell, to maybe even be a buyer now. I think that a good analogy that I keep coming back to is the Family Guy cut away about a boat or a mystery box. You can either get a boat or a mystery box with anything inside of it. In our current case I would say that this season is the boat and that the 2027 season is the mystery box. Sure there could be anything in the mystery box (2027) including a memorial cup winning season (especially if we host the event) but it could just as well be another 2022-23 campaign for all we know. I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes you should just go with what you go, instead of choosing some hypothetical scenario down the road.
You nailed my thought process. Extra points for referencing Family Guy! I'll take the boat please. It even has gas in it.

And too add, if these were close games, might be a different story. They are just shy of 5 goals per game. That's ridiculous. AND they are getting goaltending. That's the whole sundae and the cherry.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Any OHL GM in his right mind would relish the thought of having this offense going into a season where the host is OHL. Can't just waste this chance. It's going to be a challenge for sure for MM but he may never get another shot like this one if they keep going. One thing to add is that Jussi thinks he can get more out of this squad. Might not have to add much of anything. Nothing wrong with being somewhat successful every season.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Many of us were impressed in getting Stark in the 3rd round (a former Marlboros captain, 40 points in 30 games, ranked by many in the first round). But I do recall reading a disappointing post - at least for me - on this board just after the draft, claiming that he was picked where he was because he had limited upside. Yet I see a kid who is a great skater - at minimum, as good as average in this league, and even at his present age. He appears to be smart with the puck, and has a decent shot. Also, exhibition game or otherwise, not just any rookie can go out and score 4 goals in a game....at least in my opinion.
Stark didn’t just drop in the draft. Many state that he forced his way to Kitchener by leveraging the NCAA, he’s not a 3rd round talent. Lam dropped because of his size and had some NCAA interest. Both of their draft videos mention that this is where they wanted to end up and I’m happy they did. Future is bright especially with Macniel and Arquette getting solid minutes and results in junior.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Stark didn’t just drop in the draft. Many state that he forced his way to Kitchener by leveraging the NCAA, he’s not a 3rd round talent. Lam dropped because of his size and had some NCAA interest. Both of their draft videos mention that this is where they wanted to end up and I’m happy they did. Future is bright especially with Macniel and Arquette getting solid minutes and results in junior.
Does Arquette still have NCAA eligibility? Was he in camp long enough to close that door?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
One case for being a buyer - or adding the best we can, is the odds of us having this many of the league's top scorers in the future is almost next to none. This is Erie territory with McDavid, or London with Marner, Tkaczuk and Dvorak. It just doesn't happen too often. If this sustains itself to the deadline (and I see no reason it won't) how can you possibly sell?

If we're not going to supplement this team, when are we going to do it? And looking around the league, I'm not sure that any of the other teams will be able to supplement their team to any great extent, especially with 04s. I think this year's pool is rather thin.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
One case for being a buyer - or adding the best we can, is the odds of us having this many of the league's top scorers in the future is almost next to none. This is Erie territory with McDavid, or London with Marner, Tkaczuk and Dvorak. It just doesn't happen too often. If this sustains itself to the deadline (and I see no reason it won't) how can you possibly sell?

If we're not going to supplement this team, when are we going to do it? And looking around the league, I'm not sure that any of the other teams will be able to supplement their team to any great extent, especially with 04s. I think this year's pool is rather thin.
This many of the leagues top scorers. Rehkopf. Brzustewicz. Sop. Miseljevic.

Not only that, but Mesar is second league wide at almost 2pts per game.

I don’t see him slowing down either.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
I just don’t see the point for keeping them together just to get bounced in the second round when others load up. McKenzie could sell what he has lefts picks/07s and let the next GM deal with it if he leaves. His contract is up after next year.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Reactions: EvenSteven

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I just don’t see the point for keeping them together just to get bounced in the second round when others load up. McKenzie could sell what he has lefts picks/07s and let the next GM deal with it if he leaves. His contract is up after next year.
Eventually this team will win too many to look back. I think it's ok. This seems like less of a gamble than last year because there are still players to sell next year. Take the boat!!!

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Does Pobezal play a physical game ? I see 29 minutes in 14 games this year. Import...physical...talented player...if you some how would manage to get a guy like that all in one package it would go a long way. Won't believe it until I see it, but him seeing fellow countryman Filip Mesar's success under Ahokas and staff at least can't hurt, I figure.
He plays the same style as Mesar and a similar body type

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
My mindset has flipped from a scorched earth full blown rebuild to now being a contender.

We can all say that blowing up the team and trying to build some super team for 2027 sounds like the perfect plan. Come 2027 hindsight will be 20/20 based upon how the Rangers do in the playoffs this year.

There are two ways to make a successful team; you can grow it or you can buy it. Teams who grow it tend to have more success than teams who go out and buy a winning team. Look at last year with Arcuri, Zhilkin, Constantini and Moore. It’s ok to supplement a team and bring in someone to make them better but it is so tough when you build a team that way.

My thinking is that this is more about Ahokas than anything. We all love him but I can’t see him being in Kitchener for too long. I highly doubt he makes it to the 2027 Memorial Cup bid. He has stated that his goal is to coach in the NHL and the OHL is a better path to get there than coaching in Finland. This is just a stepping stone for him. If you take a look at where the Rangers were supposed to be in the standings this year and where they actually are I am sure that some NHL teams have taken notice. I wouldn’t be surprised if some team would like to add him to their staff. Either start off coaching their AHL affiliate or starting as an assistant coach in the NHL.

One more thing is that I have to assume Ahokas didn’t come cheap. I know that Kitchener is publicly owned but think of it financially. $25 a ticket and 7,000 seats sold for home playoff games equals $175,000 in revenue from ticket sales per home playoff game. Then you factor in food sales, beer, concession, gift shop, 50/50, game used jersey sales and they make a good amount of money per playoff game. Yes there are their operating costs to cover that will eat a big chunk out of that. They have last years fired coaching staff to pay for, this years coaching staff and also the Aud renovations loan to pay. Deep down this is still a business that they are running and have to make it as profitable as possible.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
My mindset has flipped from a scorched earth full blown rebuild to now being a contender.

We can all say that blowing up the team and trying to build some super team for 2027 sounds like the perfect plan. Come 2027 hindsight will be 20/20 based upon how the Rangers do in the playoffs this year.

There are two ways to make a successful team; you can grow it or you can buy it. Teams who grow it tend to have more success than teams who go out and buy a winning team. Look at last year with Arcuri, Zhilkin, Constantini and Moore. It’s ok to supplement a team and bring in someone to make them better but it is so tough when you build a team that way.

My thinking is that this is more about Ahokas than anything. We all love him but I can’t see him being in Kitchener for too long. I highly doubt he makes it to the 2027 Memorial Cup bid. He has stated that his goal is to coach in the NHL and the OHL is a better path to get there than coaching in Finland. This is just a stepping stone for him. If you take a look at where the Rangers were supposed to be in the standings this year and where they actually are I am sure that some NHL teams have taken notice. I wouldn’t be surprised if some team would like to add him to their staff. Either start off coaching their AHL affiliate or starting as an assistant coach in the NHL.
Oh man, since we are throwing out hypotheticals, imagine this scenario. We sell this year, get all these picks for a run at 2027, only to have Ahokas leave in 2025/6 for a AHL job and the on ice play completely changes. They never recover, try to buy their way out and memories of 2022/3 trickle their way onto this board. Scray stuff. And that scenario holds just as much weight as Kitchener being a superpower house team in 2027.

What we know for certain is they have a team this year that is clearly winning, and a coaching staff that is making it happen. It's more than what we can say for 2027.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Okay I'm willing to listen to that argument. Now tell me what players others will load up on.

I'll hang up and wait for your answer 😁

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Okay I'm willing to listen to that argument. Now tell me what players others will load up on.

London,Saginaw,Guelph, Soo, and flint as the sleeper

Some players I think will be highly sought after in the western Conference

Ludwinski, Roobroeck (Oshawa), Beck, Wakey, Konnor Smith, Donovan, Thomas, Christopoulos, Sova

Dark horse Nelson, Barlow,Divincentiis, Petrovsky, Jelsma,

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Every year multiple players change teams up to and at the trade deadline. Every year, there are an amount of teams who think with a couple additions, they can be a top contender.

This year will also be one of those years.

There is no super team this year. It’s also a year this league is hosting. That’s two big reasons why there will be a healthy amount of teams going all in, in some capacity, to try to contend.

Coming into the season, in the West, I had the top four teams being Saginaw, Guelph, London, and Owen Sound.

Owen Sound is where we all thought Rangers would be, and the Rangers are even better than where I thought Owen Sound would be.

Owen Sound, based on their position in the standings, and their draft pick cupboard, should probably be sellers at the deadline. That’s who we thought we would be this year. If we continue our winning ways, even though we have a thin draft pick cupboard, there are ways for MM to get creative at the deadline, where he could improve our team while still looking after the future:

I talked about that possible two parter involving Romano / Lardis today and Rehkopf / O’Brien tomorrow. That deal allows us to contend today while adding an 07 1st rounder tomorrow.

Maybe Pobezal reports after the WJC? That would be an addition that would put the third line through the roof.

We’ll move an OA. Depending on Martin’s injury, it could be him. A top contender likely won’t bring him in if his health is in question. But, a team trying to make some noise this year may want him to fill an OA role in expensively in a conditions based deal. Missy has room for an OA and adding Martin on the cheap would help them preserve assets for the next couple years.

Can Swick replace Martin’s minutes and offence? So far it looks like he might. That means Martin may be a better choice to be the odd man out rather than an OA D. But with Martin hypothetically out, we still have to address the forward depth. How?

That possible two parter above would add a top six forward.

We could maybe add an 04 third line veteran who could provide a little offence, or maybe be a decent third piece on the second line, at an inexpensive price. Does the emergence of 06’s Ellinas and Campbell make a Bottineau expendable the same way Lam’s emergence makes Romano expendable? As a 16 year old last year he held his own in the post season. He’s been asked to play a solely defensive roll on that checking line and he’s doing it well. But down the road, he should turn into decent to pretty good top six player. Could we use that asset to bring in that veteran help up front?

There are ways to do a couple of additions while not devastating the future.

Last edited:

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
London,Saginaw,Guelph, Soo, and flint as the sleeper

Some players I think will be highly sought after in the western Conference

Ludwinski, Roobroeck (Oshawa), Beck, Wakey, Konnor Smith, Donovan, Thomas, Christopoulos, Sova

Dark horse Nelson, Barlow,Divincentiis, Petrovsky, Jelsma,

Sags are loading up.

London - Hunter has been patient in the past few seasons. Most of their key players are returning next season. They did trade for Simpson before the season but I don't think their depth players have developed as hoped. To be determined.

Guelph - Unless Poitras returns, which I doubt I don't see Burnett loading up. It's not his style. Suzuki and Durzi went to them in a fire sale when Degray misread the market.

Anything can happen but the other teams are pretty far behind in top end talent and unless they got both Nelson and Beck who I think are each going to take an 07, will remain behind. We have a much better top 6 forwards than anyone. I'll put our defense and goaltending up against any one too. Our bottom 6 is a little iffy but I think they'll chip in enough offense. More than that, the purpose of the bottom 6 is to be hard on the puck, play good defense and just generally create a little mayhem. I have confidence Jussi will have these guys competing for ice time and doing this.

Anything can happen but like I said if we don't go for it this season with the talent we've assembled, I'm not sure when. The OHL is a relatively weak league this season. It's going to be quite some time before the Rangers accumulate this much top end talent again. There are no guarantees but our I like our better than anyone else right now.

Reactions: RB76 and Habsrule
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad