Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Rehkopf caused a turnover in the 2nd period and I don’t think he saw a shift after. Easy to bench the player who started the tourney as the “13th forward”. But the entire team was terrible. Turnovers everywhere. Lost races for the puck. Couldn’t hit the net if their lives depended on it.

Yet the “13th forward” stays welded to the bench. You’d think they’d want the CHL’s top scoring forward on one of those third period PP’s.

But no, they ran out the same guys who were not getting it done.

Just sayin’
Coaching is very important. We know that oh so well here in Kitchener.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Rehkopf one of if not the top scoring players in the CHL had the least amount of minutes in today's game. Letang couldn't coach a popsicle stand today. Out coached big time. Canada had a total of five shots in the 3rd. One in the first ten minutes if the 3rd.
I'm not sure how Letang's credentials warrant him to coach Team Canada? He coached in Croatia? And 2 out of 3 of his seasons in Sarnia have been sub-par. Only exception was last year and that team was given to him on a silver platter. It reminds me of the year Joe Crozier coached the Rangers to their first Memorial Cup. He was quoted saying something like, "I'm in a no win situation. If we win the Cup, people will say we expected this, given the talent. If we lose, I will be the one to blame." (But hey, Sarnia still went down to London!!!)

Reactions: rangersblues

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I'm not sure how Letang's credentials warrant him to coach Team Canada? He coached in Croatia? And 2 out of 3 of his seasons in Sarnia have been sub-par. Only exception was last year and that team was given to him on a silver platter. It reminds me of the year Joe Crozier coached the Rangers to their first Memorial Cup. He was quoted saying something like, "I'm in a no win situation. If we win the Cup, people will say we expected this, given the talent. If we lose, I will be the one to blame." (But hey, Sarnia still went down to London!!!)
Guess Letang has previous international experience. Didn't know the Croatians played hockey. They are soccer crazy over there. Last years squad was saved by Bedard who was a one man show. This year they pinned their hopes on 17 year old Macklin Celebrini who will likely go number one in the next NHL draft. The Swedes focused there attention on him. Celebrini had no space to operate as did a lot of other players. Swedes were the better team in this contest. Country with a small population sure produces some skilled hockey players. Of the thousand or so NHL players there are around 100 Swedish players playing in the NHL .

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
Knowing what we know about the OHL players on Team Canada and the experience with them that Letang should share his deployment has been odd for sure.. Rehkopf should be playing A LOT more then he has been. Also odd to me that Cowan isn't a go to PK. A short handed goal yesterday could have been a game changer and losing 3-0 instead of 2-0 makes no difference at this point...

Last edited:

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Knowing what we know about the OHL players on Team Canada and the experience with them that Letang should share his deployment has been odd for sure.. Rehkopf should be playing A LOT more then he has been. Also odd to me that Cowan isn't a go to PK. A short handed goal yesterday could have been a game changer and losing 3-0 instead of 2-0 makes no difference at this point...
Odd to me why Rehkopf wasn't on one of the PP squads. What they had wasn't working. Instead, he sits on the bench...

Wondered why Dirracolo wasn't playing last night, isn't listed on the roster, and not listed as not playing. JOSH BROWN:
- Rookie D Max Dirracolo is heading back to the Toronto Patriots in the OJHL for the weekend. I’m told this may be temporary, depending on how things shakedown in the next week or so leading up to the trade deadline. That suggests to me that the Rangers are at least exploring the possibility of adding a d-man.

Squirrel88

Jul 1, 2023
The Athletic had an interesting write-up on Razor yesterday. MM was quoted saying in early 2022 that Razor should be considered in the same way as Allen, Barlow and Ritchie. Those comments have aged well, although those players have also battled injuries this year. Article suggested that the Team Canada coaches never really trusted him on the defensive side and want him to play more physical. The usual stuff. They seem to want him net-front more, which seems odd, given that everyone agrees his shot is his best weapon. A couple comments from teammates stood out - they all comment on his shot, but also mentioned how enthusiastic he is in the room and how positive he is on the bench. I wonder whether that style of leadership is part of the reason we are seeing a looser and more effective group on the ice this year.

In terms of the game - last night showed why I don't think KIT will be big buyers at the deadline. They are really top-heavy in terms of skill. They need a D that can play decent minutes in the bottom 4. Maybe an '04 that will likely be back as an OA next year. The D next year looks really inexperienced right now. Two guys in the top 4 will move on without clear replacements. Hopefully MacNeil is part of the answer, at least in the second half of the season.

I thought Arquette looked more comfortable and engaged last night. The goal was a nice reward and his line seemed to get more ice time as the game went on. Good to see because they will need him in a bottom 6 skill and depth scoring role next year. Also, was it just me, or did Stark look like he grew a couple inches while he was off injured?

digicamo

Mar 31, 2023
Odd to me why Rehkopf wasn't on one of the PP squads. What they had wasn't working. Instead, he sits on the bench...
I have definitely found this puzzling and have been unimpressed with the coaching thus far in the tournament. I get relying on the 04s like Beck, Savoie, etc. but players like Allard have been a fixture on the PP. Rehkopf has more goals than he has points in the OHL so why not give him a shot?

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
vilmanis 2 goals 1 assist today

If the Rangers end up acquiring an import before the deadline, it won't really settle well with me personally if they end up coughing up more than the 3rd + 4th the team got from Hamara. On the other hand it could be a bit apples and oranges comparison if it does happen. We'll see, and ya Hamara wanted out.

Amazing how Brantford's fortunes seemed to have turned around since getting Hamara. Having been in the basement, they're now at the top of the division. Good for the city, I would say.

Kingston seems to be climbing the standings too lately with the addition of Schmidt. You're welcome, and.......you're welcome. ;)

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If the Rangers end up acquiring an import before the deadline, it won't really settle well with me personally if they end up coughing up more than the 3rd + 4th the team got from Hamara. On the other hand it could be a bit apples and oranges comparison if it does happen. We'll see, and ya Hamara wanted out.

Amazing how Brantford's fortunes seemed to have turned around since getting Hamara. Having been in the basement, they're now at the top of the division. Good for the city, I would say.

Kingston seems to be climbing the standings too lately with the addition of Schmidt. You're welcome, and.......you're welcome. ;)
Really wish MM tried harder to give Hamara the ice he deserved. Since his departure and Martin's absence the team seemed to struggle to play a full 60 minutes. Last night I thought they put together a decent game and dominated the Attack through 60 minutes. This without two high scoring forwards away at the World Juniors.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Is the score 4-2 or 5-2? App says 5-2 but rangers twitter says 4-2. (App fixed itself so never mind)
Seriously, right? It had Swick in for two goals at the 5-2. Even later, it went back to 4-2 when it was 5-2 but miraculously changed back. Gotta love this "new" website....

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
For those who have seen the photo of HK Nitra in Slovakia, Pobezal is a baby among men. As the 13th player and with ice time of just a minute and a 1/2, how can this be good for him? What a waste of a year if he continues there.

On the Rangers he would be looking at way more minutes and likely a shot at PP2.....a great coaching staff......fabulous (and talented) team mates.....a positive and nurturing culture....a number one team ....solid fan base.....a fellow Slovakian to help him adjust....and a heck of a lot more fun playing the game he loves with players in his age group. He would absolutely develop more here. Period.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Seriously, right? It had Swick in for two goals at the 5-2. Even later, it went back to 4-2 when it was 5-2 but miraculously changed back. Gotta love this "new" website....
Yeah, couldn't watch the game and thought Swick set a record for the fastest two goals in 3 seconds.

Really wish MM tried harder to give Hamara the ice he deserved. Since his departure and Martin's absence the team seemed to struggle to play a full 60 minutes. Last night I thought they put together a decent game and dominated the Attack through 60 minutes. This without two high scoring forwards away at the World Juniors.
I suspect MM took a call from the Ottawa Sens GM, who applied pressure to trade Hamara to the Senators owners OHL team.

Reactions: bobber
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad