Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Every year multiple players change teams up to and at the trade deadline. Every year, there are an amount of teams who think with a couple additions, they can be a top contender.

This year will also be one of those years.

There is no super team this year. It’s also a year this league is hosting. That’s two big reasons why there will be a healthy amount of teams going all in, in some capacity, to try to contend.

Coming into the season, in the West, I had the top four teams being Saginaw, Guelph, London, and Owen Sound.

Owen Sound is where we all thought Rangers would be, and the Rangers are even better than where I thought Owen Sound would be.

Owen Sound, based on their position in the standings, and their draft pick cupboard, should probably be sellers at the deadline. That’s who we thought we would be this year. If we continue our winning ways, even though we have a thin draft pick cupboard, there are ways for MM to get creative at the deadline, where he could improve our team while still looking after the future:

I talked about that possible two parter involving Romano / Lardis today and Rehkopf / O’Brien tomorrow. That deal allows us to contend today while adding an 07 1st rounder tomorrow.

Maybe Pobezal reports after the WJC? That would be an addition that would put the third line through the roof.

We’ll move an OA. Depending on Martin’s injury, it could be him. A top contender likely won’t bring him in if his health is in question. But, a team trying to make some noise this year may want him to fill an OA role in expensively in a conditions based deal. Missy has room for an OA and adding Martin on the cheap would help them preserve assets for the next couple years.

Can Swick replace Martin’s minutes and offence? So far it looks like he might. That means Martin may be a better choice to be the odd man out rather than an OA D. But with Martin hypothetically out, we still have to address the forward depth. How?

That possible two parter above would add a top six forward.

We could maybe add an 04 third line veteran who could provide a little offence, or maybe be a decent third piece on the second line, at an inexpensive price. Does the emergence of 06’s Ellinas and Campbell make a Bottineau expendable the same way Lam’s emergence makes Romano expendable? As a 16 year old last year he held his own in the post season. He’s been asked to play a solely defensive roll on that checking line and he’s doing it well. But down the road, he should turn into decent to pretty good top six player. Could we use that asset to bring in that veteran help up front?

There are ways to do a couple of additions while not devastating the future.

Just thought I’d repost this.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
We have a month and a half before trade deadline. We have little picks to improve this team. We have Carson and Ando to do 2 part trade to improve the team this year. If we do a sell we are a super team in 2026-27 imo. We have 4 16 players that look like really good players. We have McNeil waiting for next year. We could easily add 3 or 4 really good 2007 this year and next year with trading Bruz, Sop, Schimdt, Misa, Swick, Ando, Carson, Mesar, Motew and Parsons. That will put us in the 8 to 10 range for 2007 players that can hopefully play at a high level when they hit 19. We sit 1st overall in the OHL. 99% of people thought this was a sell year for sure (MM thought so too). I think I try to do Carson and Ando 2 part trades to improve this team this year. The ONLY way we trade Romano is if another 2007 player is coming back in the 2nd part of a Carson/Ando trade. We don’t trade away any 2024 top 4 round picks as we will need those to turn into good 2008 players to go with our good 2007 core.

Beginning of the year I was all in for a hard sell. Im now in the boat of keep the 2007 group together and improve the team by doing 2 trades that are 2 part trades with Ando and Carson.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
Sags are loading up.

London - Hunter has been patient in the past few seasons. Most of their key players are returning next season. They did trade for Simpson before the season but I don't think their depth players have developed as hoped. To be determined.

Guelph - Unless Poitras returns, which I doubt I don't see Burnett loading up. It's not his style. Suzuki and Durzi went to them in a fire sale when Degray misread the market.

Anything can happen but the other teams are pretty far behind in top end talent and unless they got both Nelson and Beck who I think are each going to take an 07, will remain behind. We have a much better top 6 forwards than anyone. I'll put our defense and goaltending up against any one too. Our bottom 6 is a little iffy but I think they'll chip in enough offense. More than that, the purpose of the bottom 6 is to be hard on the puck, play good defense and just generally create a little mayhem. I have confidence Jussi will have these guys competing for ice time and doing this.

Anything can happen but like I said if we don't go for it this season with the talent we've assembled, I'm not sure when. The OHL is a relatively weak league this season. It's going to be quite some time before the Rangers accumulate this much top end talent again. There are no guarantees but our I like our better than anyone else right now.

Anything can happen….but a large part of this run seems to be how the team and organization has come together. The boys and coaches are working hard, learning and should continue to improve at a much faster rate than most teams who don’t have this type of environment.

If we stay healthy and the bottom six show’s development, I like the option of keeping the team together. No need to make a move now, everything is coming up roses.

One more thing, any additions would have to be high character individuals who would provide a good fit into this group/organization. You definitely don’t need a bad seed to split this room.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
With a Martin in the line-up I suppose you could make the argument for or against whether this team has the top 6 forwards in the league (as was suggested). If Martin is traded though, then I would disagree with that statement...with no disrespect to Ellinas who in fairness, is a rookie '06.

IMO, if Martin gets traded, the top 6 needs to get rounded out via trade. I personally don't even think that is enough. For instance, the 3rd line currently has two '07 rookies on it. For any contending team I would think that is almost unheard of (?) Again, no disrespect to the kids. They're doing a great job.

But if this team ends up playing against London in the playoffs - just as an example - they will encounter a physical bunch that will play the old fashioned hard hitting Canadian game while Cowan, Barkey, Halttunen, Bonk and Dickenson do the damage on the scoreboard. Don't be fooled by one win over London. Hunter is no dummy. At the moment, I believe that he knows the Knights have a more physical team that is already built for playoff hockey.....and they can still add. This is just one team. Saginaw, Soo, etc. will also add before the deadline.

Will be interesting to see what MM will have to give up to improve. Standing pat is not an option IMO.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Keep in mind the Rangers have the top talent in the OHL. Other GMs wanting to make some sort of run would all be focused on the Rangers . Waiting to see if MM was to sell off. I doubt this is the case now with the success the team is having presently. MM said he is not in any rush to do anything until further into the season when they see where the team is in the standings. Rangers are doing great in a rebuild year.;)

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I didn’t see Kitchener at the bottom of the West this year. I figured they’d be ahead of Sarnia and Windsor and battling with Flint and Erie for in 6-7-8 group. I questioned how good Guelph would be but I obviously didn’t realize just how good Poitras actually is either apparently. I’m stunned by Owen Sound right now. I think Kitchener maybe could take a run at being in the Memorial Cup this year but…….it’s an OHL year. I think some teams are going to go for it and prices will be moderately high to a flat out sellers market. There’s a pretty decent cautionary tale about buying in this situation right in the Rangers division. Now do I think MM will have the draft/recruit/trade issues that have extended Erie’s woes? Probably not but it would still make me nervous if he looks to buy.

Last edited:

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Is Martin the odd OA out for sure?

Not at all. The only really lock if we are going for it is Sop as an OA. He is unreal this year. Motew, Schmidt and Martin any one of them could be the odd man out if we are going for it. If we sell I think all 4 could be traded but the least likely due to his trade value would be Motew….who I think is a very underrated OHL player. Sop 100% would be gone in a sell off. His value would be too high to not trade him.

Reactions: K2

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Fills a spot for next years roster. That should be 6 2007 they will have on roster next year. We have 6 19 year olds on the roster this year. Hunter, Mesar, Misa, Swick, Pug and our 2 goalies.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Fills a spot for next years roster. That should be 6 2007 they will have on roster next year. We have 6 19 year olds on the roster this year. Hunter, Mesar, Misa, Swick, Pug and our 2 goalies.
IMG_6259.jpeg

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Keep in mind the Rangers have the top talent in the OHL. Other GMs wanting to make some sort of run would all be focused on the Rangers . Waiting to see if MM was to sell off. I doubt this is the case now with the success the team is having presently. MM said he is not in any rush to do anything until further into the season when they see where the team is in the standings. Rangers are doing great in a rebuild year.;)
The idea of Brzustewicz and Rehkopf walking for nothing (if he pulls a poitras) pains me. Team would suffer for the next 5 years. That’s why I’m still in the sell mode.
I’m not convinced he will based on Seattles roster compared to Boston buts it real possibility they have to consider.

• Haha
Reactions: rangersblues

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Any chance some of these guys end up as trade bait?
Reid and Romano are the only ones that can be traded this year. Stark in the summer, Lam untouchable, and the other don’t have value yet. They are signing players now so they don’t risk losing them to other leagues in the summer.

A example is Sop the year before covid. They signed him right around the deadline because he was getting NCAA attention.

Rangers2022

Dec 15, 2022
I forgot Edwards. Make that 7 2007 players next year.
Wow what a draft we had for the 2007 players. Seven players signed and really good ones, best in a really long time. This is going to be good for the future, hire great coaching and better players will sign. Who know maybe Pobezal comes and fills the import spot. I was totally sell mode to start the season but this team is changing my mind. Do a couple crafty moves this year to get even stronger.
Not to much though because we don't have the picks or upset chemistry. We will still be good next year & years to come with the picks were signing. If the team plays well for the next month, I just can't see trading any of our top players this year. When you see what's happing now don't ruin a good thing. Never know if we even get the 2027 Memorial cup host team.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The idea of Brzustewicz and Rehkopf walking for nothing (if he pulls a poitras) pains me. Team would suffer for the next 5 years. That’s why I’m still in the sell mode.
I’m not convinced he will based on Seattles roster compared to Boston buts it real possibility they have to consider.
Doubt either makes pro next season. Hell of a step up from junior. As a long time Bruin fan l I think if Poitras doesn't put up a lot more points over time before Christmas he will be back in Guelph. I thought Schmitd was a goner and he is back. Anyhow we can fret all we want about trades and losing players. The crystal ball is in MM's hands. We just basically throw stuff out and hope it happens.:)

Reactions: Ward Cornell

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Reid and Romano are the only ones that can be traded this year. Stark in the summer, Lam untouchable, and the other don’t have value yet. They are signing players now so they don’t risk losing them to other leagues in the summer.

A example is Sop the year before covid. They signed him right around the deadline because he was getting NCAA attention.
I would be disappointed if the Rangers waited for a couple of decades for this last draft to produce the players it has and they traded them. Just my opinion. One of the best drafts in Ranger's recent history. Whatever happens, happens but after last season disaster I hope they use that as a jumping off point and learn a lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad