Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I am a bit curious but why is Rake wearing #20? #16 seems to be available on Team Canada? And if #20 is a number he wore in the past, why does he not wear it in Kitchener, as it is available?
I noticed this as well with Easton Cowan wearing 27 when 7 was available ( now Jorian Donovan )

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just a thought on Rangers being active in the trade market. They are limited to what can be accomplished by a lack of assets. What if the two first round picks use their no trade clauses? Where does this leave MM as far as making a deal that impacts the Rangers?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Just a thought on Rangers being active in the trade market. They are limited to what can be accomplished by a lack of assets. What if the two first round picks use their no trade clauses? Where does this leave MM as far as making a deal that impacts the Rangers?
He’d be reduced to moving 06’s who may interest other teams and any of the movable draft picks.

Reactions: bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rangers will have to take a page out of the Knights playbook this trade deadline.

In an interview with Dylan Hunter earlier this season, he said when the Knights make trades / deadline deals, they do so with the present and future in mind.

In other words, don’t cripple the future for the sake of today.

London bought last year. They didn’t spend a massive amount of assets because they were already very good. The deals they made were strategic - to fill holes. And fill holes they did.

They were also able to ensure four picks in the first three rounds in the ‘23 draft. That is huge.

There are comparables to this Ranger team. We’re already really good. We don’t need top flight elite players. We need to fill holes. Improve our depth. I believe that can be done while preserving the so important ‘24 draft picks.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Rangers will have to take a page out of the Knights playbook this trade deadline.

In an interview with Dylan Hunter earlier this season, he said when the Knights make trades / deadline deals, they do so with the present and future in mind.

London bought last year. They didn’t spend a massive amount of assets because they were already very good. The deals they made were strategic - to fill holes. And fill holes they did.

They were also able to ensure four picks in the first three rounds in the ‘23 draft. That is huge.

There are comparables to this Ranger team. We’re already really good. We don’t need top flight elite players. We need to fill holes. Improve our depth. I believe that can be done while preserving the so important ‘24 draft picks.

I understand MM's think last season, assuming that this year would be a sell year - heck, we all did. However, relative to what the Knights management would have done if it were their team, last year's moves were still a bit reckless in my opinion. To MM's credit he was able to make up some lost ground by making some creative acquisitions - Dirracolo, Ellinas, and Campbell. I'd like to think MM has learned from last year.....or maybe a better way to put it is that I'm hopeful.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014

Do you observe what other teams do and react or just make the necessary moves regardless of what others do?

Say Guelph gets Poitras back and adds Beck, while Saginaw also makes a ton of moves. If you just add a 4th D and a bottom 6 forward for a couple of 2nds, do you risk being irrelevant and wasting picks? I don't have a strong opinion, I'm just curious.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Do you observe what other teams do and react or just make the necessary moves regardless of what others do?

Say Guelph gets Poitras back and adds Beck, while Saginaw also makes a ton of moves. If you just add a 4th D and a bottom 6 forward for a couple of 2nds, do you risk being irrelevant and wasting picks? I don't have a strong opinion, I'm just curious.
I think you make the necessary moves anyway “knowing” that Saginaw will go all in hard and Guelph likely goes all in hard.

After last year’s debacle, I don’t think we can afford to stand pat or soft sell because we’re afraid of those teams adding a ton.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

OhSheilaa

Sep 18, 2022
Looking forward to the second half of the season. I'm predicting Justin Bottineau has a solid showing. He's steadily getting better every game and he'll make a difference.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

K2

Jun 11, 2015
IMG_4298.jpeg

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
That was tough game and as sloppy as you’d expect the first game back to be. Sop and Misaljevic were fighting it all night. Reid, Bottineau, and Romano looked solid tho. 4 points left up for grabs this weekend.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
That was tough game and as sloppy as you’d expect the first game back to be. Sop and Misaljevic were fighting it all night. Reid, Bottineau, and Romano looked solid tho. 4 points left up for grabs this weekend.
I thought the rookies were fantastic (which there were 6 of? Maybe I'm missing one). This year was to showcase these guys and they are proving the future of this team will be fun to watch. The added bonus is what transpired in the first half of the season. Find a D and another F without sacrificing this future and the world is theirs for the taking.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
With defence being the main priority I have no idea who they target. McCoy and Sova seem like they could be target but would likely empty what they’re willing to spend. I think they go on the cheaper end or one that has term (05). Who are some candidates?

NB has some big boys, maybe Mitch young in Sarnia?

After watching clips and the Wjs, I’m on board with Vilmanis. Latvia whole game plan is give him the puck lol

(Ps im confident Romano isn’t going anywhere)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rehkopf one of if not the top scoring players in the CHL had the least amount of minutes in today's game. Letang couldn't coach a popsicle stand today. Out coached big time. Canada had a total of five shots in the 3rd. One in the first ten minutes if the 3rd.
Rehkopf caused a turnover in the 2nd period and I don’t think he saw a shift after. Easy to bench the player who started the tourney as the “13th forward”. But the entire team was terrible. Turnovers everywhere. Lost races for the puck. Couldn’t hit the net if their lives depended on it.

Yet the “13th forward” stays welded to the bench. You’d think they’d want the CHL’s top scoring forward on one of those third period PP’s.

But no, they ran out the same guys who were not getting it done.

Just sayin’

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rehkopf caused a turnover in the 2nd period and I don’t think he saw a shift after. Easy to bench the player who started the tourney as the “13th forward”. But the entire team was terrible. Turnovers everywhere. Lost races for the puck. Couldn’t hit the net if their lives depended on it.

Yet the “13th forward” stays welded to the bench. You’d think they’d want the CHL’s top scoring forward on one of those third period PP’s.

But no, they ran out the same guys who were not getting it done.

Just sayin’
Poitras tried to deak around a Swede coming out of the defensive zone and got picked off. This lead to the 1st Swedish goal. Yet Letang threw him right back out the next shift. This happened to all the players that got big minutes. The whole game plan for Canada was the definition of insanity. They kept trying the same thing over and over with the same result. Personally this years squad looks like a lunch pail team that has to earn everything they get by hard work. The Swedes are a hell of a skilled well coached team and deserved the win. Macklin Celebrini was neutralized. Canada had no room to move with the Swedes defensive game. Looking for Letang to make some sort of adjustment to counter what the Swedish team was doing but all we got was more of the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad