Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Was skimming through Neutral zone live stream led by former OHL scout Mike Crawford.

Comments on 4th round pick Nathan Gaitens

“He is a gamer I don’t think anything is going to stop this guy” was someone who played on a weaker team but was the heart of that team and got a bit overlooked and likely would have gone higher on a better team/league. Described it as a great/Smart pick

Also like the Souter pick

Smart player with good vision and can fly. Mention Kitchener as a good spot for him being undersized- mentioned what they had done this year with Lam.

Don’t agree with his comments on Xu

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Not at all. Like cowbell the OHL needs more Dale!
More cowbell?...Bull@#*%... lol...couldn't resist!
Gotta give Dale his due.

Xu along with Bilecki look to be the best two D we’ve taken in the draft.

Assuming our first four picks will sign here, I believe we have throw everything we can at Xu to get him to sign as well. Including (gold package?) being one of our 4 ‘08’s that play regular next year.

We need that type of player in our lineup.

It’ll be interesting who among our draft picks will be at the Aud Tuesday night.
Like I noted earlier, one main thing for these 16 y olds is playing time.Jussi hasn't been shy on playing this seasons crop in playoff late game situations.
IMHO...Xu will sign.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
We were only in a rebuild year if we sold off our older assets as many thought would happen but didn't. If we kept everyone I think most would have said middle of the pack, which is exactly where we are.
Not sure what we are rebuilding? I know a fellow that does construction engineering. Maybe we can get him to describe the rebuild? He does have a vivid imagination for a Hab fan!

• Haha
Reactions: rangersblues

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I mentioned earlier that I listened to Kypreos’ podcast and he had goalie coach Steve Valiquettte on and one of the things that he said was that when a net comes off, it’ll keep coming off easier and easier unless rink staff come out with the drill and drill out the hole and reset it properly. Goalies know this as do on ice officials. Goalies are taught to use this to their advantage if they want to. Officials should be calling for the rink staff.

The drill didn’t come out once in Game 1 despite both nets coming off, one net repeatedly. Didn’t see the entire game yesterday so not sure if a drill came out during the game.
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about Parsons knocking off the net off its moorings. I remember Pavel Cajun doing it on a game to game basis.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm not sure what all the fuss is about Parsons knocking off the net off its moorings. I remember Pavel Cajun doing it on a game to game basis.
The London faithful is kicking up the fuss. For me, it’s much ado about nothing. For them, if it’s an issue, I’m sure that the London staff would have broken out the drill by now - unless they want that option for their goaltender too.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022

Same. I am not trying to start cross thread wars with Knights fan. Always trying to maintain peace but you're up 2-0 in the series lol. The knocking of the net has had no baring on the series. Annoying? Sure but Parsons isn't that type of goalie.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Both teams have had some good rest between games. I think game 3 will be a good one. Likely a charged up Aud should get your boys into it. It should be the best game of the series so far

Reactions: robertmac43

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Rangers are 0 for 10 on the power play in this series. 0 for 6 yesterday. No one screening Simpson at all. Not many shots coming from the blue paint. All credit for these incredible stats go to the Knights PK. Jussi said they have to work on this and play with more speed.
I once knew an old codger who had an old nag of a race horse that won races and no person knew how he did it. Apparently he tied a hot potato under its tail. Maybe Jussi could use this advice.
Frankly, the PP wasn't all that great in the regular season. It was evident then that it would have to improve for playoffs. Instead, it's non-existent. The wheels fell off this team by Juniors and it never really showed back up in the last half of the season.

Reactions: Rangers2022

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Frankly, the PP wasn't all that great in the regular season. It was evident then that it would have to improve for playoffs. Instead, it's non-existent. The wheels fell off this team by Juniors and it never really showed back up in the last half of the season.
This is true. Too predictable. One of Jussi mentions that this team has to go to the dirty areas to score. They seem to cycle the puck around the perimeter constantly looking for open lanes never getting pucks on net.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This is true. Too predictable. One of Jussi mentions that this team has to go to the dirty areas to score. They seem to cycle the puck around the perimeter constantly looking for open lanes never getting pucks on net.
Umm, the stagnant PP is a coaching issue, no?
It’s not working, hasn’t been working, so change it up and/or change up the personal on the PP.

Mar 12, 2009
Umm, the stagnant PP is a coaching issue, no?
It’s not working, hasn’t been working, so change it up and/or change up the personal on the PP.
I may be wrong but I feel like PP2 has been getting out a lot earlier and more often. Not sure what's up with Rehkopf and Brz, but they aren't producing or looking good on the PP like they did in the regular season.

Mar 12, 2009
Exactly. Talking to reporters won't help. He wants more traffic in front make them go their in practice.
Coach's are obligated to make themselves available to the media, especially post game. I guarantee he doesn't think doing so will help those issues, and he's not replacing practice with media time so that aspect really isn't an issue.

Slowpace

Jan 8, 2018
The wheels fell off this team by Juniors and it never really showed back up in the last half of the season.
I saw an intermission interview with MM, I think last time Knights played in Kitchener. He was asked about the team's fall from 1st place. He mentioned the soft schedule they had in the first half. Implication was maybe the wheels hadn't fallen off???

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I saw an intermission interview with MM, I think last time Knights played in Kitchener. He was asked about the team's fall from 1st place. He mentioned the soft schedule they had in the first half. Implication was maybe the wheels hadn't fallen off???
Could be. Also could be the Rangers who were 8th last year improved to a midpack team you see today. They do have a few skilled players that put up points in the regular season but every team in the league has that element. When you look at the games at the end of the season the Rangers lost to the Storm. They out played the Rangers two games in a row. They went into the playoffs on a downward trend. They just are what you see. Love them to throw me a crow pie but I doubt it.

Mar 12, 2009
I think the implication was they were over achieving, which I thought all a long. It's strange though if he felt that way and still made additions that weren't in area's of weakness, instead of soft selling.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Looking at the write ups on the Rangers site really impressed with the article on goalie Jason Schaubel. Says he has a GA of 0.86 and a Save % of 9.78 or along this line if I have the numbers correct. I believe it said in 22 games. Rangers seem to have picked up a few top end players in this draft if they report.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Looking at the write ups on the Rangers site really impressed with the article on goalie Jason Schaubel. Says he has a GA of 0.86 and a Save % of 9.78 or along this line if I have the numbers correct. I believe it said in 22 games. Rangers seem to have picked up a few top end players in this draft if they report.
Was the backup and had 7 SO. Barrie was loaded this year. I think he can translate well to JR B next year similar to Edwards.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
My only worry is that there are times where high end teams like that Barrie team tend to cause the numbers of the goaltende to be skewed.

The goalie will have great numbers but won’t see nowhere near the rubber or high end scoring opportunities that goalies on lesser teams will see. Harder to get a read on goalies in these situations.

Doesn’t mean he isn’t a very good goalie prospect, but just something to watch. Which I assume our scouting staff has covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad