Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Need to win out at home. 3,4 and 6 if we get there. Leave it all on the ice in game 7.

We just don't match up very well in any category.

Again just still to much standing around.
The power play looks for the same 2 passes.
Parsons hasn't done himself many favors but our D is average at best.
Can't keep up physically.
We aren't fast at all.

Bottineau and Ellinas are the heart and soul of this team right now and that is a scary thought. I am happy for them but they're 17 and shouldn't be leading by example over a team full of vets.

I have a hard time seeing this series going beyond 4 at this point but I am cheering until the bitter end regardless.
Also, we don't have "character" players and that is why we probably don't have a captain named. To be clear, we have "game breakers", or "heroes", if you like, that can take the puck and score the overtime goal. But the "character" players we are lacking are the ones that say, "We are down by 4 goals. Let's do this! Let me show you how!"

You could tell the game was lost before we even got deep into the 3rd period.

TheBlueMonster

Sep 14, 2022
Also, we don't have "character" players and that is why we probably don't have a captain named. To be clear, we have "game breakers", or "heroes", if you like, that can take the puck and score the overtime goal. But the "character" players we are lacking are the ones that say, "We are down by 4 goals. Let's do this! Let me show you how!"

You could tell the game was lost before we even got deep into the 3rd period.

Exactly.

I like the Sale pick up more than most. I see the upside. Plus he is no way making Coachella Valley next season so he'll likely be back here. (Pick and a prospect should be the ask)

But if you're going to play a slow moving game, Florian should have been a deadline target, Crane, bronson ride. Those should have been targets.

I mean hindsight is 20/20 but you're seeing it now VS London and almost VS Erie, we're slow.

Our first rounder we selected today, Romano, Lam, Reid, MacNeil, CA, Ellinas and Bottineau will all be character players in the future and that gives me hope.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Everyone saying swick needs to play more but I see a 6'7 player not doing anything (but jump players in fights) when the team is desperate for something. As someone else said, you have barkey (and literally everyone on the knights) chirping the bench and this kid not doing absolutely anything about it.

Kitchener needs some fight. I watched the rangers beat the knights at the start of the season and was impressed by their fight in that game, specifically sop, and said something about it. If kitchener wants to extend this series, they need more fight.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers are a midpack team that actually struggled with Erie last series. Could have easily lost. Talk about Swick fighting? He is big but isn't know for physicality. MM doesn't build physical teams The only weapon the Rangers could use against the Knights is the PP and it's dead in the water. Knights are built to play which ever way you want to play. Rangers not so much. Need more than Pug and Elinas but after them the cupboard is bare. Teams are allowed to throw hits still. Hopefully we see some well placed hits in our barn.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The best team he ever built here was the 17-18 team. That was a physical team.
Thought it was the start of things to come. That team could match any other team's physicality. It's not about fighting though its more of being able to play a grinding type of playoff hockey where your opponent has some respect. When the small players on the opposing team chirp your bench without fear you know where the series is going.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Secure may be the wrong word, just feels like the net is being knocked off super easy.
I mentioned earlier that I listened to Kypreos’ podcast and he had goalie coach Steve Valiquettte on and one of the things that he said was that when a net comes off, it’ll keep coming off easier and easier unless rink staff come out with the drill and drill out the hole and reset it properly. Goalies know this as do on ice officials. Goalies are taught to use this to their advantage if they want to. Officials should be calling for the rink staff.

The drill didn’t come out once in Game 1 despite both nets coming off, one net repeatedly. Didn’t see the entire game yesterday so not sure if a drill came out during the game.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I mentioned earlier that I listened to Kypreos’ podcast and he had goalie coach Steve Valiquettte on and one of the things that he said was that when a net comes off, it’ll keep coming off easier and easier unless rink staff come out with the drill and drill out the hole and reset it properly. Goalies know this as do on ice officials. Goalies are taught to use this to their advantage if they want to. Officials should be calling for the rink staff.

The drill didn’t come out once in Game 1 despite both nets coming off, one net repeatedly. Didn’t see the entire game yesterday so not sure if a drill came out during the game.
Apparently the drill guy was found bound with gorilla tape in behind a boiler after the game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers were screwed on D post trade deadline if their goal was a deep playoff run.

I said it then and it’s quite evident now.
Lots of comments about the Rangers playing soft and having no push back. They either push back or they don't. We can only watch. My hope for the future is that the old boys club let's Jussi dictate the type of team he wants. Not one handed to him on a platter. Read he likes speed. Not sure if he likes sandpaper. Hope so.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Lots of comments about the Rangers playing soft and having no push back. They either push back or they don't. We can only watch. My hope for the future is that the old boys club let's Jussi dictate the type of team he wants. Not one handed to him on a platter. Read he likes speed. Not sure if he likes sandpaper. Hope so.
In any post game interview I’ve heard this season, Jussi has never condemned or been critical of his players getting into fisticuffs. In fact, he’s always voiced his approval.

Of note:

Kaleb Lawrence is all over the ice, all over the score sheet, all over our crease. Among the game stars in both games.

Huge addition at the deadline, on the cheap no less (8th ‘26).

This is the type of addition you make at the deadline. I know he’s an OA F which we weren’t in the market for, but just an example of the type of player we needed.

You kick over enough rocks, you find guys like this inexpensively.

Sop may be the OA of the year, but what does that matter now? Lawrence is the OA of this series.

He has 8 points in 6 games, 5 points and +4 against the Rangers.

Sop has 5 points in 8 games, 0 points and -1 against the Knights.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Just scanning over the draft and there weren't a lot of bigger guys taken. Most were 145 to 155 lbs. I know they're 15 year old kid s but....

I guess we'll just wait and see.

Reactions: LostRangers

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Just scanning over the draft and there weren't a lot of bigger guys taken. Most were 145 to 155 lbs. I know they're 15 year old kid s but....

Watching video of Jacob Xu he looks like he could turn into a physical type defenseman if he committed. Edward is a real throw back stay at home type. If you go near the Knight's net you pay. He even gives crosschecks to opposing players after the whistles just for good measure.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
we all seem to forget we are in a rebuild year. WE were supposed to be fighting for playoff spot. Future looks great. Don't worry the Soo will take care of London
We were only in a rebuild year if we sold off our older assets as many thought would happen but didn't. If we kept everyone I think most would have said middle of the pack, which is exactly where we are.

Reactions: All the Answers

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Xu along with Bilecki look to be the best two D we’ve taken in the draft.

Assuming our first four picks will sign here, I believe we have throw everything we can at Xu to get him to sign as well. Including (gold package?) being one of our 4 ‘08’s that play regular next year.

We need that type of player in our lineup.

It’ll be interesting who among our draft picks will be at the Aud Tuesday night.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers are 0 for 10 on the power play in this series. 0 for 6 yesterday. No one screening Simpson at all. Not many shots coming from the blue paint. All credit for these incredible stats go to the Knights PK. Jussi said they have to work on this and play with more speed.
I once knew an old codger who had an old nag of a race horse that won races and no person knew how he did it. Apparently he tied a hot potato under its tail. Maybe Jussi could use this advice.

Mar 12, 2009
Disappearing PP is a death sentence. I like our young guys but we don't have the depth of energy or shutdown players to make a shut down type 3rd line to contain teams and give the tp 2 lines rest. WE don't have a bottom pair of D. No Martin exacerbates things.

MM can potentially salvage things with a huge sell off next year, he really has to though, he can't have another year of hedging his bets if he wants to have a team that can really compete in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad