Kitchener Rangers 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Givani Smith playing game 7 against the Soo could’ve changed a ton.
That scenario pops up in my brain about every other week. I personally believe that once you hit a second overtime it becomes less skill and more luck based the farther you get into overtime. However in saying that I think that Smith being an agitator and a physical player he would have been able to not only get underneath the Sault Ste. Marie players skin so then they might’ve taken an extra penalty that would have given us a power play in overtime that could’ve led to the game-winning goal. What he also does so well is beat you up physically. And when you’re in the second overtime and Smith is coming at you for the puck in the corner you probably ease up a bit or rush a pass out because you don’t want to take that hit because your already tired and beaten up because you’ve been facing him the entire game. Also I don’t know this for a fact but it was a rumour at the time that Sault Ste. Marie was calling Smith racial slurs which pushed him to a point of flipping them off at the end game six. So I my opinion if that was the case I think there should’ve been a suspension on the other side and not on Smith. But should’ve, would’ve, could’ve don’t mean anything in the present day and in all reality we played some of the best hockey I have ever seen the Rangers play recently.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
When you are giving away valuable picks and young players, ultimately, the Memorial Cup is your goal

It's one tough trophy to win! We lucked out HUGE with Culina's surprise breakout (after injuries to Opilka & ADB) and then built a great team. If we had Hall, McEneny or Smith dress, or even saw a lucky bounce in OT 1 or 2, maybe we win out and have a parade? Likewise: a healthy Steve Mason playing the final in 2008 ... having Skinner & Morin return for another season ... not blowing the 3-0 lead against Windsor ... anything remotely favourable in either OT back in 1990 ... Santa & the Easter Bunny collaborating to deliver Fabbri for MH's wacko moonshot? ;)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
It's the first year in recent memory that I actually forgot about the draft. I was at my mom's on Saturday reading her newspaper and learned there about the selections.
Ha.....same here. I'm usually stoked for the draft and have the entire day set aside to watch. This year, I found about the draft a cpl days later, totally forgot.

Reactions: nelli27

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
upload_2021-6-8_19-35-1.png

2021 NHL DRAFT: Francesco Pinelli, C, HDD Jesenice, AlpsHL, Canada U18

Reactions: K2

K2

Jun 11, 2015
[QUOTE="MatthewsMoustache" "The Kitchener Rangers announce departure of Assistant Coach, Andreas Karlsson."[/QUOTE]

A big loss but an eventuality given his strong credentials along with the long pause and dubious advancement situation here.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Usually about 2 or 3 weeks after the draft, the Rangers hold a rookie camp. With Covid last year and this year this event will be postponed again. But will they have an extended rookie camp to see the players from the last two drafts before the main camp?
* I guess I miss the hockey and I just
want to move up the camp!

Reactions: EvenSteven

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Usually about 2 or 3 weeks after the draft, the Rangers hold a rookie camp. With Covid last year and this year this event will be postponed again. But will they have an extended rookie camp to see the players from the last two drafts before the main camp?
* I guess I miss the hockey and I just
want to move up the camp!

I believe training camps are "extended". Open September 4th with an October 7th start, so about 34 days from camp opening to the season starting. Normally it's the Monday before Labour Day weekend (August 30) and the 2nd last Thursday/Friday of September for the season opener (September 23/24).

So teams will have around an extra 10 days this year. With the 48 hour rule for NCAA eligibility, I think it will be more so for the players who are actually on the team to get acclimated as opposed to extra time for prospects, but same idea.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
...will they have an extended rookie camp to see the players from the last two drafts before the main camp?

Need to do something more than just a bigger/longer main camp September 4th to, at minimum, get 16 - 17 year old rookie cohort signees/reasignees/cuts reasonably sorted @ schools be it here, home or elsewhere. Still all pretty tentative given we've just started into the baby-steps restart scheme and borders, etc may pose challenges for US & Euro 'student athletes' for a while longer.

Last edited:

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Need to do something more than just a bigger/longer main camp September 4th to, at minimum, get 16 - 17 year old rookie cohort signees/reasignees/cuts reasonably sorted @ schools be it here, home or elsewhere. Still all pretty tentative given we've just started into the baby-steps restart scheme and borders, etc may pose challenges for US & Euro 'student athletes' for a while longer.

Add to that the COVID cases have been trending upward again and our region is a point of concern with the new Delta variation. One never knows. The odds are just as good that another season gets cancelled.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Our region is fast tracked for second doses because we are a hotspot. We'll know in about 6 weeks how effective the Vaccines are. Right now I'm optimistic.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Mike McKenzie .... will re-evaluate as each season passes.

I’m not a big fan of this. If MM is going to coach, then commit to three years or hire someone to do so.

I suspect that players that we are trying to recruit would want to know who their coach will be while they are playing here.

NCAA schools can offer that info. So can a team like London.

If I’m Rehkopf or Schmidt, this could mean the difference between reporting to the Rangers or not.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I’m not a big fan of this. If MM is going to coach, then commit to three years or hire someone to do so.

I suspect that players that we are trying to recruit would want to know who their coach will be while they are playing here.

If I’m Rehkopf or Schmidt, this could mean the difference between reporting to the Rangers or not.

I feel that MM has proven himself as GM AND coach. That should be enough incentive to get the players here. I think if he steps down as coach, his next choice will be more objective and I don't think he will put up with Rangers brass forcing him to hire from within. And for all we know, Joe Birch is of the same mould.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
`

I agree. I'm surprised he even came out and said that. MM has proven to be a capable head coach, but for all we know he could end up promoting Dennis Wideman a year later and it might not work the same way.

Reactions: EvenSteven

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I feel that MM has proven himself as GM AND coach. That should be enough incentive to get the players here. I think if he steps down as coach, his next choice will be more objective and I don't think he will put up with Rangers brass forcing him to hire from within. And for all we know, Joe Birch is of the same mould.

The ranger’s mgt group is among the OHL’s very best, imo.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Add to that the COVID cases have been trending upward again and our region is a point of concern with the new Delta variation. One never knows. The odds are just as good that another season gets cancelled.

I don't see this. Delta is more transmissible but not more "deadly" as the media loves to scream. Full vaccinations of those more susceptible to the adverse reaction to COVID are increasing every day. By September, Ontario never mind WR should be largely fully vaccinated. Currently, ALL cases in Ontario are resolved by 97.3% and WR is at 95.8% and this is despite variants. All cases in WR since the very start of the pandemic is 2.6% of the population of WR. The 14 Delta cases are 0.002% of the population. And no matter what, being declared a "hot spot" with Delta will help ensure that WR will receive more vaccines. WR has not been receiving what it felt was its fair share up to this point.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I don't see this. Delta is more transmissible but not more "deadly" as the media loves to scream. Full vaccinations of those more susceptible to the adverse reaction to COVID are increasing every day. By September, Ontario never mind WR should be largely fully vaccinated. Currently, ALL cases in Ontario are resolved by 97.3% and WR is at 95.8% and this is despite variants. All cases in WR since the very start of the pandemic is 2.6% of the population of WR. The 14 Delta cases are 0.002% of the population. And no matter what, being declared a "hot spot" with Delta will help ensure that WR will receive more vaccines. WR has not been receiving what it felt was its fair share up to this point.

I can't see another season being cancelled, may be no fans at the start of the season, but I am not sure about that. I think it will depend on how many people get fully vaccinated and what impacts that has on the number of cases.. I am hopeful to see Rangers hockey this coming season. What happens with the US land border will be important. The biggest worry for things going ahead is that training camps will open in about 3 months. That is not a lot of time to fully vaccinate 75% of WR, which is their goal.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I can't see another season being cancelled, may be no fans at the start of the season, but I am not sure about that. I think it will depend on how many people get fully vaccinated and what impacts that has on the number of cases.. I am hopeful to see Rangers hockey this coming season. What happens with the US land border will be important. The biggest worry for things going ahead is that training camps will open in about 3 months. That is not a lot of time to fully vaccinate 75% of WR, which is their goal.
I hear you! That's a good question. At full 0perational capacity, when can WR expect to hit that percentage?
Let's keep those vaccines coming!! And I have a feeling that Biden is going to tip Trudeau's hand and have the border open before much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad