Kitchener Rangers 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 12, 2009
If this is it, I'm happy with the moves. MM needs to figure out if he's a coach or a GM for next season. Unless he has a plan to re-capture the spark he initially came in with, I think he's shown to be a capable coach but a very good GM.
As far as drafting, Parsons I believe was the first high goalie pick (Wu being later) under the newest goalie scout who MM hired (if it's the same guy, he started a couple years ago replacing the scout who brought in no one for a years). I agree with the lack of development before MM (in his first season I saw progress in a bunch of guys compared to the previous season and compared to under McKee that season), and normally I'd say the trend has continued but it's hard to say given the pandemic made it so players got an abnormally low level of involvement from their drafted teams.

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
Overall a pretty rough weekend for the boys. Some positives are Pugliese has played well. A bit of a bright spot for an otherwise ho-hum 2004 group. I liked mutter even with the penalties. I think J Leblanc and Andonovski were the best defencemen on the team this weekend. On to the next weekend for another 3 in 3.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I liked what Mutter brought. Like Xhekaj, we are going to have to live with the penalties.

Having to “live with the penalties” isn’t a big deal to me in a rebuilding year. The first priority isn’t winning games now. It’s the protection of/development of our young players. I’ll take whatever Mutter brings regarding penalties if it means keeping the opposition in line. Sending our young guys out there to kill penalties only helps in their development going forward.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Is next year a go for it year for you? Build around Pinelli & Schmidt?

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
If this is it, I'm happy with the moves. MM needs to figure out if he's a coach or a GM for next season. Unless he has a plan to re-capture the spark he initially came in with, I think he's shown to be a capable coach but a very good GM.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets this team a Head Coach next season. With no actual knowledge of the situation I think that was likely the plan ( pre pandemic ) and likely still the preference but when you are a non profit in an uncertain time with someone capable doing the job without adding another person to payroll that was the best solution for this season. Kitchener is far from being a have not organization in this league but the non profit set up puts them in a tough spot when its a rainy day...

Just my 2c. If MM does give up the head coaching position I will miss his post game interviews he's pretty straight forward and usually gives honest insight.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Having to “live with the penalties” isn’t a big deal to me in a rebuilding year. The first priority isn’t winning games now. It’s the protection of/development of our young players. I’ll take whatever Mutter brings regarding penalties if it means keeping the opposition in line. Sending our young guys out there to kill penalties only helps in their development going forward.
Mutter is a boss...would have been nice to have flipped McSorely for him...he would have looked so good in a Knights jersey

Box Score Watcher

Nov 13, 2021
I went through the first 3 rounds of that draft year (working from our 1st rounder, backwards) it might be a fairly thin 04 crop accross the league.
That’s my thinking as well. I mean, based on central scouting lists, it’s entirely possible that there is only one OHL player taken in the first round of the nhl draft this summer - Shane Wright.

And over the past number of years, the OHL produces between 40 and 55 nhl drafted players. I certainly don’t see 40+ 2004 born players getting drafted this year either.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
That’s my thinking as well. I mean, based on central scouting lists, it’s entirely possible that there is only one OHL player taken in the first round of the nhl draft this summer - Shane Wright.

And over the past number of years, the OHL produces between 40 and 55 nhl drafted players. I certainly don’t see 40+ 2004 born players getting drafted this year either.

And you just touched on a key reason why the OHL will not shut down this year unless they're absolutely forced to. It'll be a recruiting and reputational nightmare if they don't push through this season. Last year's cancellation was a huge setback for the league.

Mar 12, 2009
And you just touched on a key reason why the OHL will not shut down this year unless they're absolutely forced to. It'll be a recruiting and reputational nightmare if they don't push through this season. Last year's cancellation was a huge setback for the league.
pushing forward and potentially losing money if that means playing at reduced capacity has to be looked at by the league as an investment in the future of the league at this point.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Last year's cancellation was a huge setback for the league.

In more ways than one. This AHL 20 game agreement cost this league some star players this year. That can’t be overlooked. Branch is always about getting the best players possible into this league. The league historically has changed rules to accomplish that. This league is not as good this year without these star players.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Jack Harper back in 2019 when he was drafted by Flint in the 7th round at 122:

HockeyProspect.com Scouting Report: The puck-rushing defenseman has an explosive first step to separate himself when in possession and close the gap quickly on opposing forwards. He has good two-way abilities with great gap control. Harper is mindful of the open man when the second defensemen back and hustles back hard when not in possession to pick up a man. He regularly squares off puck carriers trying to gain the zone by keeping them outside before pinning them to the boards. In front of the net, he keeps opponents in check and actively supports teammates when needed along the boards in the defensive zone. In board battles, he is relentless with a quick stick and aggressiveness that allows his team to come away with the puck more often than not.

Reactions: JoelKRangers

RichieRice

Jan 8, 2018
upload_2022-1-10_14-7-54.png

Reactions: JoelKRangers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad