Kitchener Rangers 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
You're right on Gibson. The last goal tender that this team developed from scratch into an elite tender was Mike Torchia.

And that’s a long time ago.

Reactions: rangersblues

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
You're right on Gibson. The last goal tender that this team developed from scratch into an elite tender was Mike Torchia.

And that’s a long time ago.
Maybe David Belitski who followed Torchia. He had 4 pretty solid seasons with the Rangers but was on the small side for pro.

Reactions: RichieRice

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I’d rather trade for a goalie. Seems like they are tough to scout by nature of the position.

And for what we gave up to get Ingham, it seems like goalie prices aren’t stupid high like top forwards and defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues
Mar 12, 2009
I don't know what people think we have to trade for a 2nd. I doubt he moves Vuk over the summer, if he has a breakout first half, his price would be higher than at this very moment. All of our older players are more or less moving on and I wouldn't be moving many/any of the young guys we've gathered at this point.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
And speaking of Torchia..... Nathan was 1st team All Stars in the OJHL

Selected GOALIE OF THE YEAR
GEORGETOWN’S TORCHIA VOTED OJHL GOALTENDER OF YEAR | Ontario Junior A Hockey League

Nathan Torchia – Georgetown Raiders
Nathan was an absolute wall for Georgetown this past season, recording a 2.32 goals against average and a .932 save percentage while posting 5 shutouts. Torchia played the most games out of any goalie in the 22-team league. He won back-to-back OJHL Warrior Hockey Goaltender of the Month awards for September and October 2019. His breakout season came after three years in the OJHL while posting a 3.00 GAA. During the 2019-20 season, the CJHL honoured Torchia as the CJHL Goaltender of the Month and an Honourable mention for the 3-stars of the month in January 2020. Torchia stopped 34 shots in the final cross-over game to lift Georgetown into the 2020 Playoff.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

so uhh.. no OAs next season? MacPherson, Wale & Pfeil all listed as graduating players

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

so uhh.. no OAs next season? MacPherson, Wale & Pfeil all listed as graduating players

Not sure if that means anything at all.
With the unknowns right now, the OHL 2020-2021 season start could be in January and maybe these players have university in mind....if university start in Sept.
Not just the Rangers OA's but the vast majority of the players.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

They do this every year. Always have. We used to go to the season ending banquet and all 19 year old were considered graduating players whether they were playing an OA season or not. They were presented their sweaters, etc as if they weren’t coming back.

Even players that had already signed on to play the following year were presented their sweaters.

Last edited:

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
They do this every year. Always have. We used to go to the season ending banquet and all 19 year old were considered graduating players whether they were playing an OA season or not. They were presented their sweaters, etc as if they weren’t coming back.

Even players that had already signed on to play the following year were presented their sweaters.

hm, never noticed that.

since we're on the topic of OAs, does anyone think the starting job (assuming Ingham's gone) is Pfeil's to lose? if he can be a ~.890 sv%~ goalie, why not? Or maybe keep a spot open in camp and have Wu/D'Alessandro/McBride/etc. compete for the spot and have them split the net with Pfeil.

I still do want to see one of the young prospects get a chance. what's to lose in the rebuild year? worst case, you need to find a new goalie for next season. best case, you save yourself some picks and don't have to add a proven goalie.

I was especially excited for Wu, but having only played 1 game this season concerns me. that's half on Wu and co. and half on the Rangers. it's well known that OHL teams (especially ones with $$$) have leverage with junior clubs and getting their prospects a spot on a team. it's kind of on Wu for backing out of the NCDC so quick (I'm not sure of the reasoning however) but I don't see how not a single team (not even a Jr. C team???) would open up a spot for a 6th round OHL pick

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
hm, never noticed that.

since we're on the topic of OAs, does anyone think the starting job (assuming Ingham's gone) is Pfeil's to lose? if he can be a ~.890 sv%~ goalie, why not? Or maybe keep a spot open in camp and have Wu/D'Alessandro/McBride/etc. compete for the spot and have them split the net with Pfeil.

I still do want to see one of the young prospects get a chance. what's to lose in the rebuild year? worst case, you need to find a new goalie for next season. best case, you save yourself some picks and don't have to add a proven goalie.

I was especially excited for Wu, but having only played 1 game this season concerns me. that's half on Wu and co. and half on the Rangers. it's well known that OHL teams (especially ones with $$$) have leverage with junior clubs and getting their prospects a spot on a team. it's kind of on Wu for backing out of the NCDC so quick (I'm not sure of the reasoning however) but I don't see how not a single team (not even a Jr. C team???) would open up a spot for a 6th round OHL pick

IMO, the goaltending position is completely wide open, up for grabs.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
hm, never noticed that.

I hate to say it but in a worst case scenario, I think we can find a better goaltender out there, on the cheap, that might have better skills to pass on to any youngster. I do not feel that Pfeil is in that "teaching" category. Best case is that we have a couple of younger guys that surprise but of course, there is always the fear that they hit the wall and get shell shocked.

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
With all due respect to Pfeil, there is absolutely no point wasting an OA spot on a goalie unless he's above average. If you're going to have mediocre to sub par goaltending, do it with younger kids who might develop into something for you. Surely there are some promising goalies out there dying for a shot. I don't understand why it has been so hard for this organization to find them.

As for Wu, that is an odd case. I know nothing about what happened behind the scenes other than rumblings that the kid and family might have other priorities in life - most notably academics. And if that's the case, I'll never fault them.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Yeah Wu seems like he dropped in the draft a bit because he wasn’t super committed to hockey as a career long term.

Jacob Ingham got a shoutout on spittin chiclets podcast for his work with blood donations.

And finally, Game 2 of 2003 OHL final on Rogers TV on cable or stream it online for free. Just don’t look the score up in advance and enjoy!
Edit: apparently they changed their minds and it’s another 2010 game

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Maybe David Belitski who followed Torchia. He had 4 pretty solid seasons with the Rangers but was on the small side for pro.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Belitski was elite. But, he was a very good goal tender and he was drafted and developed here.

He was a fan favourite and one of my favorites. Loved the fact that he would “lose it” every so often. Never forget the one sided victory at center ice over Guelph’s G Andy Adams. It was comical his pounding out the 7 or 8 inch taller Adams!

For me, I take him over Dickie in 03 and probably Unice in 08.

Reactions: RichieRice

RichieRice

Jan 8, 2018
I wouldn’t go as far as to say that Belitski was elite. But, he was a very good goal tender and he was drafted and developed here.

He was a fan favourite and one of my favorites. Loved the fact that he would “lose it” every so often. Never forget the one sided victory at center ice over Guelph’s G Andy Adams. It was comical his pounding out the 7 or 8 inch taller Adams!

For me, I take him over Dickie in 03 and probably Unice in 08.
I tend to agree. He was small but really athletic and aggressive.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rangers and Sting complete trade – Kitchener Rangers

We have made a minor trade with SAR. We sent them a sixth in this years draft for a 5th in next years draft. Not a bad lateral move made by MM.

This was announced a couple days ago yet isn’t on the OHL media notes yet but trades happening since are listed on OHL media notes.

Is there a hiccup holding up this deal or just an oversight by OHL.com?

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
This was announced a couple days ago yet isn’t on the OHL media notes yet but trades happening since are listed on OHL media notes.

Is there a hiccup holding up this deal or just an oversight by OHL.com?
Personally I find that the media notes are really slow to be updated.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
With all due respect to Pfeil, there is absolutely no point wasting an OA spot on a goalie unless he's above average. If you're going to have mediocre to sub par goaltending, do it with younger kids who might develop into something for you. Surely there are some promising goalies out there dying for a shot. I don't understand why it has been so hard for this organization to find them.

As for Wu, that is an odd case. I know nothing about what happened behind the scenes other than rumblings that the kid and family might have other priorities in life - most notably academics. And if that's the case, I'll never fault them.
Form what I heard is that Wu is not an academic (similar to Bracco) and just wants to play hockey. The Rangers tried to put him in Georgetown but his parents wanted him to go somewhere with better schooling. After that it sounds like the Rangers just gave up on finding him place to play because his parents would always veto it. I feel bad for the kid because it sounds like all he wants to do is play hockey but his parents would always intervene.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
The infamous "OHLinsiders" on twitter(who I personally find his tactics unethical) has created a firestorm by insinuating that Bob McKenzie is using his clout at TSN to ensure that Adam Fantilli drops to Kitchener's selection and that the Fantilli's and the Rangers already have an educational agreement sewn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad