Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Right now I'm not convinced Damiani won't be back as an OA. Miereles was a far more effective player last season.

A lot of work to be done by the whole team overall. Depth is definitely lacking.

Wow! It is like you read my mind! I was thinking this last night at the game. Sure, it was a bad game for everyone but at this point in time, I cannot see Damiani playing pro next year. He just hasn't seemed to find that next level. He has had the occasional great game but has not been consistent. And he definitely needs to add a few more pounds of muscle.

Reactions: rangersblues

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Right now I'm not convinced Damiani won't be back as an OA. Miereles was a far more effective player last season.

A lot of work to be done by the whole team overall. Depth is definitely lacking.
I think having the players missing really exposed the depth on the Rangers. There were no players left that really stepped up and lead the team last night. Yantsis seems to aggravate opponents. He just doesn't do enough when the other top guys are missing. Damiani either. I think a good junior B team would have have the Rangers a run last night.

Reactions: rangersblues

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
it’s evident that they need upgrades on the 4th line. they have failed to get any contributions from it since the 2018 playoffs. so when there’s injuries and our below average 4th line has to move up the lineup, this is bound to happen. Serpa, Dickerson, Rupoli all have 0 points and Fishman has 1

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
it’s evident that they need upgrades on the 4th line. they have failed to get any contributions from it since the 2018 playoffs. so when there’s injuries and our below average 4th line has to move up the lineup, this is bound to happen. Serpa, Dickerson, Rupoli all have 0 points and Fishman has 1

I’d give Fishman and Serpa some leash. They are rookies with some upside. The other two however are older and have had chances in this league before this year.

It may be wise for Fishman to see some time at JrB on Ranger non game days. Get him some more minutes.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
This is kind of what Owen Sound did last season and they aren't too bad this season.

The Attacks 'model's to be competitive every season , and get valuable playoff dates.

They have neither the asset$, nor the revenue , nor the fan base to sell the farm .

The Fan base would revolt if they sold off. They lost STH this season because of last year's 'restock'.

DeGray has done a good job retooling with a group of solid, if not spectacular players.

The difference, I believe in this case , falls to coaching. Alan Letang, Jordan Hill, and now Joey Hishon are a combination that clicks.

And solid gold ending. All of a sudden , at 18, Mack Guzda seems to have come into his own .

I remember the Peter Deboer years in Kitchener, where everything he touched turned to gold .

I think the Rangers have more than their share of talent this season . Solid G, great young talent, beasts in Damiani, Yantsis, Meireles, Sebrango, etc .

Just need to put it all together.
I imagine, with a full Rangers roster last night, the result would have been totally different.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
It took two periods for the coaching staff to figure out that OS have 4 lines that play their systems to a "T"? The first thing that they do when they enter the Rangers zone is set up like a PP and own it. The boys spent more time in their own zone trying to get out while OS pounded away at Ingham.

Then in the 3rd period, Rangers started attacking the the OS points at the blueline and taking players out of position. During that span when the Rangers scored two goals and got back in it, OS was totally out of sorts in their own end and not the well-oiled machine they had been in the 2nd. What does the OS coach do? Calls a time out and settles down the troops. I wish Rangers would do that more often rather than let the score get away from them.

Rangers had their PP chances to get back in it.....and I know our usual PP was not there due to missing players..
..but 1 for 5 and 2 shorties against is not a good outing. And that last shortie was the dagger that took whatever the Rangers had early in the 3rd....away...completely. Too bad....tie it up and it might have been a different game.

IMO Damiani should have been left intact with McDonnell right from the start. The two have had chemistry so why break it up. Langdon might have had more opportunity with those two on that line. Yantsis was lost anyway....all game....throw a Petizian and Valade up with Yantsis and see how it goes.

Rupoli is not a forward...so obvious. But I thought that Serpa and Fishman were doing their best as rookies against an OS team that came hard at you know what line was out there. I'd rather see Fishman up there with Serpa and Stepien rather than Dickson. Again, my opinion I know.

I thought remarks like "the players had the opportunity to step up but didn't" wasn't totally wrong but it wasn't totally right either. The Rangers were not prepared to play against the OS system and had a week to do it? Damiani said that they didn't have a good week at practice. Well, why the #%%$ not??? This is the second time that I've heard this. Hello?

Positive news.........I heard that Meireles and Sebrango could show up as early as the game against Guelph on Friday. No news on Hawel....

Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Attacks 'model's to be competitive every season , and get valuable playoff dates.

They have neither the asset$, nor the revenue , nor the fan base to sell the farm .

The Fan base would revolt if they sold off. They lost STH this season because of last year's 'restock'.

DeGray has done a good job retooling with a group of solid, if not spectacular players.

The difference, I believe in this case , falls to coaching. Alan Letang, Jordan Hill, and now Joey Hishon are a combination that clicks.

And solid gold ending. All of a sudden , at 18, Mack Guzda seems to have come into his own .

I remember the Peter Deboer years in Kitchener, where everything he touched turned to gold .

I think the Rangers have more than their share of talent this season . Solid G, great young talent, beasts in Damiani, Yantsis, Meireles, Sebrango, etc .

Just need to put it all together.
I imagine, with a full Rangers roster last night, the result would have been totally different.
The Attack always seem to be competitive. They always seem to draft well.
Been to a few games in the barn up there and enjoyed them. Even none Ranger games a couple of times as we spend the summer near Wiarton and catch early season games as a hockey fix.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I’d give Fishman and Serpa some leash. They are rookies with some upside. The other two however are older and have had chances in this league before this year.

It may be wise for Fishman to see some time at JrB on Ranger non game days. Get him some more minutes.
We were impressed with Fishman in camp. Not the biggest kid out there but he has skill around the net and seemed to be in on a lot of scoring.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

should MM turn water into wine and acquire some players, he might have to play some Jr. B games. I think with a fully healthy lineup now, they see Fishman as the 13th. he’s clearly better than Rupoli and Dickerson, but their styles of play better suit a 4th line

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
should MM turn water into wine and acquire some players, he might have to play some Jr. B games. I think with a fully healthy lineup now, they see Fishman as the 13th. he’s clearly better than Rupoli and Dickerson, but their styles of play better suit a 4th line

MM is going to have to turn water into wine, to acquire players to put us over the top with our thin asset base.

Fishman might be the 13th. But he has a future here. Not sure about the other two after this year.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
maybe it’s time we get Mitchell Martin up here? 18 points in 21 games up north in the NOJHL.

he’s proving he can score in junior hockey, something Rupoli, Fishman & Serpa (to an extent; 18 in 40 jr. b games) haven’t proven.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Kole Sherwood was given an unfortunate welcome to the NHL tonight taking a sucker punch from Lucic...

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
disgusting. they always teach the kids to play till they hear the whistle and he did that and he got suckered and jumped on by the biggest joke in the league

Lucic used to be a good player. But he’s always been a coward who picks his spots.

He’s right there to jump or drop em with someone smaller or a non fighter type but when someone bigger comes calling, he runs scared and hides behind the “bad trade off for his team” logic.

Never had respect for this player.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Lucic probably wasn’t a fan of Sherwood stripping him of the puck and going in for a chance. Must be hard when almost every rookie in the league is better then you.

Lucic is a dying breed and Calgary looks extremely stupid for trading for this clown. Not sure what the bigger punishment would be, suspending him or making them play him 20 minutes a night.

Reactions: EvenSteven

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
maybe it’s time we get Mitchell Martin up here? 18 points in 21 games up north in the NOJHL.

he’s proving he can score in junior hockey, something Rupoli, Fishman & Serpa (to an extent; 18 in 40 jr. b games) haven’t proven.
Love Mitchell Martin.....and I believe there's upside to Fishman and Serpa. And Rupoli is a D....who is playing a position that does not suit him. Doing him no favours to see if he has a D game in him.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Some how Flames fans are twisting incidents like that of last nights as proof that the Lucic trade is paying off for them.....as if they needed more penalties to kill or something.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Love Mitchell Martin.....and I believe there's upside to Fishman and Serpa. And Rupoli is a D....who is playing a position that does not suit him. Doing him no favours to see if he has a D game in him.

If we’re going anywhere this season, (I don’t see it without jeopardizing the next year or two) we’ll not only need a F or two, we’ll need an upgrade on D.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I don’t agree on Damiani. Well maybe not as much as you. He’s on the same scoring pace that he finished last season. Sure, Meireles had a better season offensively than Damiani last year. However, his PPG went through the roof in the second half. The same could also happen for Damiani this year. That’s something we don’t know. Not lost on me is that Hockey Canada has him under consideration for this year’s WJC. That wasn’t the case for Meireles last year.

Damiani is producing much better than where he was selected in the NHL draft. The consensus was and still is he could be one of the steels of the draft.

I’m not saying there is zero chance he returns for an overage season. But to bank on it will be a mistake. If we decide to sell this year, but hold onto him expecting him back next year, we could be making a big mistake. If we do decide to sell, he should be moved. But, if we feel good enough that he could return for an overage season, we have to make sure the return we get for him reflects that either in a bigger return up front or in compensation picks.

Reactions: Gondrex

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I don’t agree on Damiani. Well maybe not as much as you. He’s on the same scoring pace that he finished last season. Sure, Meireles had a better season offensively than Damiani last year. However, his PPG went through the roof in the second half. The same could also happen for Damiani this year. That’s something we don’t know. Not lost on me is that Hockey Canada has him under consideration for this year’s WJC. That wasn’t the case for Meireles last year.

Damiani is producing much better than where he was selected in the NHL draft. The consensus was and still is he could be one of the steels of the draft.

I’m not saying there is zero chance he returns for an overage season. But to bank on it will be a mistake. If we decide to sell this year, but hold onto him expecting him back next year, we could be making a big mistake. If we do decide to sell, he should be moved. But, if we feel good enough that he could return for an overage season, we have to make sure the return we get for him reflects that either in a bigger return up front or in compensation picks.
there would probably be some sort of conditional picks in there just in case he did return for an OA.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
there would probably be some sort of conditional picks in there just in case he did return for an OA.

True. But, depending on the return, there could be enough in that return to cover in the event he does return for an overage season. I remember a few years ago we traded Evan McEneny to Kingston for a package that included a 17 year old Dylan DiPerna (and a 2nd rounder), who was a former 2nd round OHL pick. There were no conditional picks and McEneny came back for an overage season.

When questioned on it, Murray Hiebert said the return we got for him in trade was enough to reflect whether he came back for an overage season or not. That made sense considering what DiPerna gave us as a Ranger.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Ok we’re almost at the quarter pole. This is around the time when Pete DeBoer would have decided by now “who we were”. You could always expect a move or two reflecting that around the first couple weeks of November.

After 14 games this season, we’ve only won six games, five in regulation. I’m not a fan of loser points (we lead the league in those). But despite those, we’re still only 8th in the conference and tied for last in wins.

Sure we’ve beaten big teams like Saginaw and Ottawa but then lose to a North Bay.

I see inconsistency. I see a team that too often doesn’t show up for the whole game. I understand we’ve had injuries but we’re not the only team facing that adversity. I understand there is only 8 points separating the entire conference so we’re not in a deep hole - yet.

What I’m wondering is, who do people think we are? I have an opinion and it isn’t good. “It’s still early” doesn’t cut it because it’s not that early any more.

Anyone have any idea who we are this year?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Ok we’re almost at the quarter pole. This is around the time when Pete DeBoer would have decided by now “who we were”. You could always expect a move or two reflecting that around the first couple weeks of November.

After 14 games this season, we’ve only won six games, five in regulation. I’m not a fan of loser points (we lead the league in those). But despite those, we’re still only 8th in the conference and tied for last in wins.

Sure we’ve beaten big teams like Saginaw and Ottawa but then lose to a North Bay.

I see inconsistency. I see a team that too often doesn’t show up for the whole game. I understand we’ve had injuries but we’re not the only team facing that adversity. I understand there is only 8 points separating the entire conference so we’re not in a deep hole - yet.

What I’m wondering is, who do people think we are? I have an opinion and it isn’t good. “It’s still early” doesn’t cut it because it’s not that early any more.

Anyone have any idea who we are this year?

I see a team that has most of the pieces to the puzzle, but can’t put the puzzle together. there’s still a missing piece or 2. we know we can compete with Saginaw, Ottawa, etc.

the issue, other teams have young players that they can comfortably part with as well as a draft cupboard. Kitchener doesn’t have either of those. it’s bugged me these past 2 seasons that they’ve come in to the season with just enough or less players to play games. and of the 11 forwards in they usually dress, ones a defence and 2 shouldn’t be in the league. other teams are finding ways to get picks as well as contend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad