Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Gallagher played really well in the 1st game, he picked off Vuks and had a break away. Wu played amazing, really showed his athleticism as well as he let 4 less goals then Pfeil did. Pinelli ripped one in off a faceoff, and Declean banged in a rebound.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Watched the game tonight.
Positive players:
Wu was very impressive for a rookie. He played the whole game and shootout. Very agile, quick and tracks well.
Motew shows a lot of promise. Made mistakes but was quick to cover them up and recover. He needs to adapt to the speed of the game in his discussion making. His feet and hands are there but just needs to make the play sooner. I see him on the ice more than the press box.
Ottavainen is big and has some speed. His first instinct seems to be to go on the rush first. Definitely an offensive D man.When he was caught in the wrong end he did have the wheels to get back in time.
Ingham was solid but only played the 1st half. Richardson played the 2nd half. Ingham was the better of the two IMO.
Gallagher looked good. Interesting player. He is the only Invite this year.
Negatives:
I didnt like Stepiens game tonight. Didnt seemed engaged to me tonight.
Richardson had bad rebound control tonight. Nothing new.
Dickerson just blended in with the prospects, I see him getting lost in the numbers.
My 2 cents.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
how are the 02s looking? heard some good and some bad about Ottavainen but that’s what I expect from a guy who’s been in North America for like a week. sounds like McDonnell is having himself a camp.

what about Serpa? read somewhere that he had a nice goal but not much after that. Valade, Langdon, Sebrango making the progressions we expected?

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Ottavainen looks to be a great pick. Has size and can skate. Touched on him above.
McDonell had an ok game. You can see his offensive side, he had puck control, quick turns and can skate. Not comparing him to Jeff Skinner but some of his shake and bake moves reminded me of Skinner in his rookie year. He didnt stand out at the game in general but you could see he has skill.
F Pinelli was in the right place, had one nice shot that I saw. I think he is going to have a typical adjustment period. He didnt wow in last nights game but was better in previous viewings.
Serpa didnt standout to me.
Sebrango had some nice rushes. Was in the play at both ends. He looked better than Vuks last night.
Valade was playing with more confidence and I think that's what he was missing last year.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Ottavainen did look a bit awkward in game one but he's a tall, lanky kid and is very much still acclimatizing. Much more poised and confident in game two and displayed notable offensive skill both passing and moving the puck on the rush (even leading a couple times). Once he's on his game I'll bet end-to-ends with wraparound goals might be something we see regularly. Could well develop into a standout before long.

Wu is amazing for a small rookie G. Seemed way busier than the other G's and made some great saves. I hope he's not simply having a look at the O as he heads off on a Jack Lafontaine sequel exit given older, mediocre (again) performing guys like Pfeil & Richie are still hanging around. Encouraging that he's here and that they gave him a full game last night but I wonder if he's buying his own lunch today (48hr limit?). I'd love to see this kid sign here.

Pinelli (F) and Motew were standouts at times while Serpa, Dickerson & even Langdon didn't really impress. A few vets like Vuks & Yantsis (etc) were merely OK and I suppose they're likely just idling to let the prospects show their stuff. X has been working over the Summer and showed abundant speed and swagger, as did Petizian. McDonnell & Valade looked very promising at times and Gallagher had the puck much more in game two instead of just being all over the ice. Gallagher, like X, is one of those gritty, passed over guys with something to prove that you can foresee might really be hitting stride at 18-19 as they mature ... should they keep working hard. Could be pushing Serpa/Dickerson if MM & JM like his 'chemistry' effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven
Mar 12, 2009
Hopefully Wu looks at former Rangers property goalies In Lafontaine and Lavigne, who both went NCAA and ended up splitting duties in Michigan until Laf lost the job, decided to transfer to Minnesota (where he will play this season), causing him to play what would have been his OHL OA year, in Penticton (BCHL) which is a solid step below CHL.

In hindsight, him backing up Opilka as a rookie would have been better, as Opilka's injuries would have given way for him to be the de facto starter...instead he goes NCAA to avoid being the back up on Kitchener long term, gets to be starter in lower leagues than CHL, only to become a back up in Michigan, then playing in another lower league as a 21 years old, where maybe he will finally get to be a starter in a higher non-pro league, when he'll be turning 22.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Game 3..........some of the things I saw.....and will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

No Wu....and no Ingham today.

Lines today........

Pinelli Meireles Yantsis PINELLI does not look put of place

Langdon petizian Valade FLYING with chemistry.

Stepian Damian McDonnell GREAT line....Step and Damiani have upped their game and McDonnell fit like a glove.

WILL WE SEE THE ABOVE LINES on the weekend? Remains to be seen but it IS pre-season and might be worth seeing now these lines perform against other teams.

I can't get enough FISHMAN.....sign him already....here's some line combos tried today

Fishman a Pinelli Martin
Fishman Serpa Martin
Fishman Serpa A Pinelli until 3rd

I didn't really feel that Walker and Martin were all that noticeable....except for a couple of shifts in the third where they stood out and were aggressive.

Gallagher.........not a lot of ice time. Have they seen enough and wanted to see others more?
When he's out there, he's a terror....but he wasn't out there much.

Bergkvist is shorter for sure but highly skilled....beautiful pass out of zone....shot on net that was tipped for goal....he's the real deal.....and this was with jet lag. Can't wait to see him when he's rested.

Ottaveinen seemed a bit more comfortable today and has picked up his game....will shoot on net...and take puck in. Got burned a couple of times when he thought a stick check instead of the body would do. I think that will show up more this weekend. He's still feeling things out.

X.....watch out everyone.........he's fast.......he's more confident.....and he looked very good.

MacPherson.....solid...of course....AND was carrying the puck in and shooting. Is this an epidemic? The entire D was taking the puck in and shooting. NICE.

Motew looks better and better. Very skilled....poisitioned....smart.

Sebrango on fire today.....he can seem like he just moves around the ice at a steady pace but BOOM, when he goes........he's gone.........and did that more than once today. His game is really going to step up this season. Again, I sense that playing for Team Canada has given him more confidence....and I noticed that he won't just pass in the offensive zone, he will deke and get a better position before shooting on net.

Richardson.......not looking great folks.....one of the first goals.....just him and the shooter....and yes, went in. Pfeil......he's ok. I wish I could have seen Ingham....but he has the job.....and no Wu today....please sign him.

That's all til the game this Friday night.....GO RANGERS.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Based on all accounts on Wu, it sounds like he's outplayed Pfiel and Richardson in this camp. His not playing today likely because of the 48 hour NCAA thing.

Anyone think he agrees to sign if he's the de facto backup to Ingham this year? I know he's signed somewhere at a lower level but backing up a contender as a 16 year old with an inside track as the number one next year could be all he needs to sign.

Surely he'd get into 25 or so games this year minimum. Have him start games at a lower level on off days to get him steady work and we might have our backup this year.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Game 3..........some of the things I saw.....and will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

No Wu....and no Ingham today.

Lines today........

Pinelli Meireles Yantsis PINELLI does not look put of place

Langdon petizian Valade FLYING with chemistry.

Stepian Damian McDonnell GREAT line....Step and Damiani have upped their game and McDonnell fit like a glove.

WILL WE SEE THE ABOVE LINES on the weekend? Remains to be seen but it IS pre-season and might be worth seeing now these lines perform against other teams.

I can't get enough FISHMAN.....sign him already....here's some line combos tried today

Fishman a Pinelli Martin
Fishman Serpa Martin
Fishman Serpa A Pinelli until 3rd

I didn't really feel that Walker and Martin were all that noticeable....except for a couple of shifts in the third where they stood out and were aggressive.

Gallagher.........not a lot of ice time. Have they seen enough and wanted to see others more?
When he's out there, he's a terror....but he wasn't out there much.

Bergkvist is shorter for sure but highly skilled....beautiful pass out of zone....shot on net that was tipped for goal....he's the real deal.....and this was with jet lag. Can't wait to see him when he's rested.

Ottaveinen seemed a bit more comfortable today and has picked up his game....will shoot on net...and take puck in. Got burned a couple of times when he thought a stick check instead of the body would do. I think that will show up more this weekend. He's still feeling things out.

X.....watch out everyone.........he's fast.......he's more confident.....and he looked very good.

MacPherson.....solid...of course....AND was carrying the puck in and shooting. Is this an epidemic? The entire D was taking the puck in and shooting. NICE.

Motew looks better and better. Very skilled....poisitioned....smart.

Sebrango on fire today.....he can seem like he just moves around the ice at a steady pace but BOOM, when he goes........he's gone.........and did that more than once today. His game is really going to step up this season. Again, I sense that playing for Team Canada has given him more confidence....and I noticed that he won't just pass in the offensive zone, he will deke and get a better position before shooting on net.

Richardson.......not looking great folks.....one of the first goals.....just him and the shooter....and yes, went in. Pfeil......he's ok. I wish I could have seen Ingham....but he has the job.....and no Wu today....please sign him.

That's all til the game this Friday night.....GO RANGERS.

did they switch the teams up today?

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Brown/Hicks articles this early on bubble players have sometimes been the kiss of death in the past. I remember a kid from Ottawa who was released days after an article came out about him.

everyone seems to have liked Gallagher to date on here. 11 forwards signed right now and we’ll be down to 8 for some time coming up. my guess is that A. Pinelli, Fishman, Martin, Gallagher get extended looks and everyone else is headed home

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
everyone seems to have liked Gallagher to date on here. 11 forwards signed right now and we’ll be down to 8 for some time coming up. my guess is that A. Pinelli, Fishman, Martin, Gallagher get extended looks and everyone else is headed home

I haven't seen any of camp, but Gallagher sounds like my kind of player. Here's hoping makes the cut.

He'd likely be a winger. Is he a left or right shot?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Showed up half way through the morning game.

I said the Finland D was bad yesterday. Today he still made some mistakes on the D side but create some scoring opportunities in the o-zone. Much improved but the D side he will make the most mistakes the first half of the season out of all Dmen imo. Our D is just pretty solid and he has the biggest learning curve to make.

Motew. I liked his game a lot this morning.

The Sweden D. Wow. He is going to have a heck of a season. His outlet passes were spot on and hard. He create some scoring chances but in the D zone he played positional hockey very well. This kid will be great this year.

X looked to take it to another gear yesterday and today. Think he knew he was the bubble player and worked his tail off in the offseason. I think he is going to have a much improved season. Problem is we have 7 D who all deserve to play every night.

Petizian - looked fast and ready to go.

Damiani - if plays all games I’m saying puts up around 110 points. Team Canada 3rd/4th line center. The kid can shutdown the best players and also chip in with some offensive.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Showed up half way through the morning game.

I said the Finland D was bad yesterday. Today he still made some mistakes on the D side but create some scoring opportunities in the o-zone. Much improved but the D side he will make the most mistakes the first half of the season out of all Dmen imo. Our D is just pretty solid and he has the biggest learning curve to make.

Motew. I liked his game a lot this morning.

The Sweden D. Wow. He is going to have a heck of a season. His outlet passes were spot on and hard. He create some scoring chances but in the D zone he played positional hockey very well. This kid will be great this year.

X looked to take it to another gear yesterday and today. Think he knew he was the bubble player and worked his tail off in the offseason. I think he is going to have a much improved season. Problem is we have 7 D who all deserve to play every night.

Petizian - looked fast and ready to go.

Damiani - if plays all games I’m saying puts up around 110 points. Team Canada 3rd/4th line center. The kid can shutdown the best players and also chip in with some offensive.

Damiani will likely miss the first game of the season. I think he will get in a couple NHL exhibition games. then the WJC camp. the team looks real loaded up this year but if he does make it that’ll be 8 or 9 games he will miss.

if he stays healthy, he will probably play right around the same amount he played last year

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Reactions: Gondrex

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
As I said – the kiss of death.

I don't get how they see the need to cut guys without at least having them play one exhibition game. Especially guys like Gallagher who obviously impressed during the inter-squad games.

Why the big rush to get down to 12 forwards?

as I mentioned earlier too, Damiani, Meireles & Yantsis are all going to NHL camps. Damiani could get in some preseason games and Meireles for all we know might not be back. with the roster we have, we should expect to start the season with 10 forwards.

theres gotta be a trade in the works

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Out of the 2 other goalies in camp, did any of them (McBride, D'Allesandro) show anything to get excited about?

Wu is very good, but size will always come into question until he gets a few inches. We already know what to expect in Pfiel and Richie.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
So Fishman is the only "new" Ranger.....other than the others we figured would make the team.

Ryan Stepien, Jesse Fishman, Riley Damiani, Graham Dickerson, Isaac Langdon, Reid Valade Francesco Pinelli, Greg Meireles, Jonathan Yantsis, Mike Petizian, Joe Serpa, Declan McDonnell

No surprises on D cuts.

Disappointed that other than Ingham....the goalie situation has remained the same.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
So Fishman is the only "new" Ranger.....other than the others we figured would make the team.

Ryan Stepien, Jesse Fishman, Riley Damiani, Graham Dickerson, Isaac Langdon, Reid Valade Francesco Pinelli, Greg Meireles, Jonathan Yantsis, Mike Petizian, Joe Serpa, Declan McDonnell

No surprises on D cuts.

Disappointed that other than Ingham....the goalie situation has remained the same.

that forward core is certainly a couple guys away from being a legit contender. If this teams for real, Fishman probably sees a lot more Jr. A games than Rangers game. Dickerson won't cut it on the 4th. I think the early part of the season will be Stepien, Pinelli, McDonnell (maybe Valade, Langdon too depending how they start the season) fighting for minutes for later in the season.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
based on the lines that were rolled out today, this is what we've got up front:

Pinelli-Meireles-Yantsis
Stepien-Damiani-McDonnell
Petizian-Langdon-Valade
Dickerson-Serpa-Fishman

I like that 3rd line a lot. for the 1st line, I really see Pinelli having a monster year with those 2 up front, but we can't expect him to do what Cole Perfetti did last year. this year is really "wait and see". Stepien and McDonnell on the Damiani line is very intriguing. I do hope to see a trade for an OA and they would likely take one of their spots on that line (Liam Hawel would be great). we would probably see this trade around November and get Hawel (or whoever) for a few decent picks. by then, we will have a better grasp of where everyone fits and can adjust the lineup accordingly. Valade or Langdon could also excel and earn a spot with Damiani and Hawel. we now have:

Pinelli-Meireles-Yantsis
Stepien/McDonnell-Damiani-Hawel
Petizian-Langdon-Valade
Stepien/McDonnell-Serpa-Fishman.

ocnce again, there is a lot of wait and see. a lot has to be going right before a trade like this can be made. Pinelli has to be meeting expectations on the top line. however, we've seen Mike Petizian play well with them and Langdon or Valade could be experimented. all the positives taken from camp this year are exciting

Reactions: Rangers True Blue
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad