Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Brandon Anderson? Great to see Wu there. And Axel B is listed but I thought he couldn't make camp because of national team commitments...but hey...if he's here....great! That Ryan Walker kid is 15....not 16 until Sept 6...and he's listed at 6'2" 179lbs....

Anderson was a pick this year too. he’s another big kid coming in around 6’4 172

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
that’s fair. but it’s gotta be someone like a Chase Campbell who you can make a decision on come January. don’t want to give up 3rds for a guy that could be out the door if Garreffa is to come back. wouldn’t be bad to round out the bottom half of the forwards either

Alex Turko could be an option from London for maybe nothing. wasn’t listed on their pre season roster so he might be an FA?

Nothing against Campbell et al. But that calibre player isn't replacing Joey's minutes.

Just saying.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Nothing against Campbell et al. But that calibre player isn't replacing Joey's minutes.

Just saying.

obviously not. what would we say Joey played a night here last season? 20ish? if so, an OA vet like Campbell could take like 12 and then you give a couple extra minutes to Langdon, Valade, McDonnell, Pinelli

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
roster posted for camp. only 1 free agent invite in Logan Gallagher. sort of disappointing
I would have liked to see some FA goalies invited. A lot could happen to undrafted goalies after their draft years. As Ward pointed out the BUG should be wide open.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
obviously not. what would we say Joey played a night here last season? 20ish? if so, an OA vet like Campbell could take like 12 and then you give a couple extra minutes to Langdon, Valade, McDonnell, Pinelli

In my post, I was hoping that we could replace Joey's minutes on the cheap. I know it's a stretch, but it's not like it hasn't happened here before where we replaced the minutes of a graduating 80 to 100 point player with the same calibre player. I mentioned Tsmikalis.

It's easy to pick up a third OA on the cheap who can come play 20 minutes. I'm not talking about replacing an OA. I'm talking about replacing an 80 to 100 point player. That's the void Joey's not returning has created.

The minute we have to bring up players from the bottom six to play on the top six, our bottom six is weakened. If we want to contend this year, we need strength throughout the four lines. That means replacing Joey with a similar calibre player from outside the organization is how we need to go.

Some may say that one or more of the 02's may earn their way into the top six this year - that they may be good enough to play on the second line. That doesn't mean they should play there if we are to be a top contender.

Couple years ago, our third line of Damiani, Meireles and McHugh were one of the best third lines in the league. One or more of those guys could easily have played second line minutes on most teams. However, it being a contending season, we were so strong in the top six that these guys were relegated to third line checking duties. Not because they weren't good enough to play second line. But because them playing on the third line made our former group so much stronger.

If we're going to contend this year, we need similar strength throughout the lineup.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
In my post, I was hoping that we could replace Joey's minutes on the cheap. I know it's a stretch, but it's not like it hasn't happened here before where we replaced the minutes of a graduating 80 to 100 point player with the same calibre player. I mentioned Tsmikalis.

It's easy to pick up a third OA on the cheap who can come play 20 minutes. I'm not talking about replacing an OA. I'm talking about replacing an 80 to 100 point player. That's the void Joey's not returning has created.

The minute we have to bring up players from the bottom six to play on the top six, our bottom six is weakened. If we want to contend this year, we need strength throughout the four lines. That means replacing Joey with a similar calibre player from outside the organization is how we need to go.

Some may say that one or more of the 02's may earn their way into the top six this year - that they may be good enough to play on the second line. That doesn't mean they should play there if we are to be a top contender.

Couple years ago, our third line of Damiani, Meireles and McHugh were one of the best third lines in the league. One or more of those guys could easily have played second line minutes on most teams. However, it being a contending season, we were so strong in the top six that these guys were relegated to third line checking duties. Not because they weren't good enough to play second line. But because them playing on the third line made our former group so much stronger.

If we're going to contend this year, we need similar strength throughout the lineup.

between the 3 guys that left from last season, there’s 190 points that need to be replaced up front. the D core is stronger and we have a better goalie so it probably doesn’t even have to be that much. Lipanov was also a complete defensive liability. on paper this team should get scored on drastically less than last season.

the median in the league sits around 265, but since Kitcheners above average this season, say they get scored on 250 times (24 less than last season). that alone accounts for some of the points that won’t be had from Garreffa, Hugg, Lipanov.

Valade, Langdon, Stepien, Petizian, Sebrango, Vukojevic will all have more points than they did last season. Pinelli, McDonnell, Ottavainen, Motew, Bergkvist will also add to the point total.

to your point, yes they most certainly need another big point getter to be a true contender. but I don’t think it has to be an OA. the assets are limited but why not try and get a 2000 born scorer and then a cheap OA that can play down the lineup

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
between the 3 guys that left from last season, there’s 190 points that need to be replaced up front. the D core is stronger and we have a better goalie so it probably doesn’t even have to be that much. Lipanov was also a complete defensive liability. on paper this team should get scored on drastically less than last season.

the median in the league sits around 265, but since Kitcheners above average this season, say they get scored on 250 times (24 less than last season). that alone accounts for some of the points that won’t be had from Garreffa, Hugg, Lipanov.

Valade, Langdon, Stepien, Petizian, Sebrango, Vukojevic will all have more points than they did last season. Pinelli, McDonnell, Ottavainen, Motew, Bergkvist will also add to the point total.

to your point, yes they most certainly need another big point getter to be a true contender. but I don’t think it has to be an OA. the assets are limited but why not try and get a 2000 born scorer and then a cheap OA that can play down the lineup

There are definitely options. It will all depend on where the Rangers are in the first part of the season. And we have a couple of rookies in Pinelli and McDonnell who could very well put up some numbers we haven't seen for a while. I also feel that our D are going to be in on more scoring this season. But hey, I know...anything can happen!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Every year, teams lose X amount of points due to graduation. We knew we were losing Lipanov, Hugg and any OA's that we had.

Joey, along with Meireles and Yantsis were expected back and were penciled into the lineup - especially on these boards.

Losing Joey isn't the same as Hugg etc, or Logan Brown etc the year before. None were expected back. Joey was.

Before the news hit that Joey wasn't coming back, to be a top contender, we already needed a top six high end winger.

We still need that winger AND now we need to replace Joey's 80-100 points. OA's or not, that's two top six high end players.

And I contend that we don't have the assets in high picks to trade for two high end F's unless we include young body(s). Therefore, coming across an OA who can replace Joey's contribution, on the cheap, would go a long way in allowing us to address the needs we have in order to contend.

In trade, OA's of high quality usually are cheaper than 19 year old graduating players of the same caliber. The cost of an OA of high caliber had been more or less set last year. Salinitri went for two 2nds and a 3rd and Hancock went for a 3rd and a promising 17 year old in Perrott. The Rangers have five 2nds and seven 3rds over the next five years. If we use two 2nds and a 3rd to acquire a high end OA, do we have enough 2nds left in the cupboard to acquire a high end 19 year old? That 19 year old will cost a lot more than the OA.

I know we can move Vukojovic in the next off-season but he will not bring back all it will cost us to acquire these two players.

If we cannot acquire two higher end top six forwards, I don't think we can compete for the Western Conference championship this year. And if we cannot compete for the Western Conference championship, then we should be selling and targeting 20-21 to contend.

Some on here have suggested that it will be OK to not sell and finish 3rd to 5th and play a round or two in the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned, all that's doing is spinning our wheels and wasting assets. We'd probably finish 3rd to 5th next year and then maybe 3rd to 5th the year after as well.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Every year, teams lose X amount of points due to graduation. We knew we were losing Lipanov, Hugg and any OA's that we had.

Joey, along with Meireles and Yantsis were expected back and were penciled into the lineup - especially on these boards.

Losing Joey isn't the same as Hugg etc, or Logan Brown etc the year before. None were expected back. Joey was.

Before the news hit that Joey wasn't coming back, to be a top contender, we already needed a top six high end winger.

We still need that winger AND now we need to replace Joey's 80-100 points. OA's or not, that's two top six high end players.

And I contend that we don't have the assets in high picks to trade for two high end F's unless we include young body(s). Therefore, coming across an OA who can replace Joey's contribution, on the cheap, would go a long way in allowing us to address the needs we have in order to contend.

In trade, OA's of high quality usually are cheaper than 19 year old graduating players of the same caliber. The cost of an OA of high caliber had been more or less set last year. Salinitri went for two 2nds and a 3rd and Hancock went for a 3rd and a promising 17 year old in Perrott. The Rangers have five 2nds and seven 3rds over the next five years. If we use two 2nds and a 3rd to acquire a high end OA, do we have enough 2nds left in the cupboard to acquire a high end 19 year old? That 19 year old will cost a lot more than the OA.

I know we can move Vukojovic in the next off-season but he will not bring back all it will cost us to acquire these two players.

If we cannot acquire two higher end top six forwards, I don't think we can compete for the Western Conference championship this year. And if we cannot compete for the Western Conference championship, then we should be selling and targeting 20-21 to contend.

Some on here have suggested that it will be OK to not sell and finish 3rd to 5th and play a round or two in the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned, all that's doing is spinning our wheels and wasting assets. We'd probably finish 3rd to 5th next year and then maybe 3rd to 5th the year after as well.

selling a young guy might just be the reality of winning. especially with Garreffa this year. you see it almost every year now. Woolley and Bertuzzi this year. Connor McMichael from Hamilton to London. Allan McShane to Oshawa in his rookie year. that’s the price we would have to pay to win. if all the young guys exceed expectations and MM feels they can be successful going with those guys, I trust him. if he does end up trading one of them and the return helps bring a title to Kitchener, who’s mad? all I ask is that they’re either all in or all out

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
selling a young guy might just be the reality of winning. especially with Garreffa this year. you see it almost every year now. Woolley and Bertuzzi this year. Connor McMichael from Hamilton to London. Allan McShane to Oshawa in his rookie year. that’s the price we would have to pay to win. if all the young guys exceed expectations and MM feels they can be successful going with those guys, I trust him. if he does end up trading one of them and the return helps bring a title to Kitchener, who’s mad? all I ask is that they’re either all in or all out

I suppose. But if we're to contend this year OR next, AND contend in 21-22, trading a young player would affect how good we'll be in 21-22. If we trade a young player to acquire a high end forward this year, it'll have to be a young player of value. No disrespect, but a guy like, say, Serpa isn't putting us over the top in any bidding war for a high end F.

It'll have to be our 03 first rounder. Can't see that happening. Or one of Valade, Sebrango or Langdon. I don't see that happening either.

This business of Garreffa choosing not to come back is much more of an issue than many want to admit. Throws a big wrench into things to be sure.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Standouts form blues practice,
Fishman
Gallagher
Wu
Ville didn’t have a great start but finished well.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Standouts form blues practice,
Fishman
Gallagher
Wu
Ville didn’t have a great start but finished well.

you going to either of the games tomorrow? interested to see how Gallagher compares to the returning guys in a game. not really sure what the CCHL2 is like in comparison to the OJHL and etc.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Standouts for white,
McDonnell
Martin
F Pinelli (#10, brother is 15)
Motew
Xhekaj speed, he was the only person to keep up with Meireles in the bag skate.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Game 1 this morning. Looking forward to seeing how new players and hopefuls stack up. Thx for the report Mein Yak! Not surprised at the standouts but am intrigued by Gallagher.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
  1. At the AGM last night McKee said Axel B was just arriving today. He also mentioned that he has a rocket of a point shot and will take Joey’s place on the pp. something that Joey could never do from the point.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
saw white won 5-2 and not completely shocked based on their roster. how did Gallagher look? he had a visor on in the instagram stories where the other prospects had cages but it might just be because of the league he was in?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Gallagher is 17 years old. It seemed like all the cages / full fishbowls were 16. I really like how Gallagher played for an invite.

The Finland D looked really out of place playing D. And his body language seemed like he was uninterested. Hopefully this all will change when the season starts.

Meireles and macpherson I thought we’re joking around in the corner. But the slash MacPherson received on the way to the bench was for sure not a joke. 2 handed super hand swing to the back of the legs.

MacDonnell I thought stood out the most for 16/17 year olds.

Some of the late round picks looked really out of place.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Gallagher is 17 years old. It seemed like all the cages / full fishbowls were 16. I really like how Gallagher played for an invite.

The Finland D looked really out of place playing D. And his body language seemed like he was uninterested. Hopefully this all will change when the season starts.

Meireles and macpherson I thought we’re joking around in the corner. But the slash MacPherson received on the way to the bench was for sure not a joke. 2 handed super hand swing to the back of the legs.

MacDonnell I thought stood out the most for 16/17 year olds.

Some of the late round picks looked really out of place.

I’ve heard MacPherson and Meireles are really good friends. that’s weird. anyone else see this?

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
OK.....I have a slightly different look at game one this morning but of course, it's all who you're looking at during the course of the game.

Early on, WU was in net and he's something to watch. My first thought was...oh...he's small...but man, he fights for the puck especially if it's anywhere around him...his positioning is good..and he's focused on that puck and who's around him. The only puck he didn't stop was bouncing around and really, he had no chance. There was also a time when he lost his stick. He made at least 3 stops with no stick and kept that puck out of the net. I wasn't the only one in the stands who applauded. This kid has promise.

Defense.........Vuks and Sebrango seemed different....exuded confidence and perhaps, their national team experience has helped take that up another level. I have to say that X was a force out there as well and though he got caught a couple of times, he was a presence out there. McPherson was a steady influence and Motew is a joy to watch. He's very aware of the play around him and for the most part, makes the right choice. As for Ville....he's a big boy and I can't help to think that he's feeling his way right now. Not sure how good his English is for that matter. Despite that though, there were flashes of smart play, he shot on the net more than once, and he does like to carry that puck into the offensive zone....as did Sebrango and Motew. This is going to be a different D once it all settles in.

Gallagher.......he's something to watch. When he's on the ice, he's feisty, fast, and fearless. I need another game yet (tomorrow) but you notice this kid for sure. He has some fire in him.

McDonnell...I didn't see as much of him as I would like but when I did, it was if he played on the team last year. He has size and is solid....I'm going to watch him more in game 3....but I believe he's going to take to the OHL quite nicely.

Didn't notice Walker as much as what I would have liked. I'm going to key on him as well.

The Pinelli brothers were on the same line for a while. There was a bit of line changing. They threw Anthony out there to see what he's got I'm sure. But Francesco is smooth, fast, and has size (and confidence).

Other notes........Damiani and Meireles are going to be a force this season. And Yantsis was cruising around but I didn't get the feeling that he was playing full force. Serpa blew through the D and scored a beauty of a goal. Valade was buzzing around in the zone ala Joey. He can wheel. And Langdon looked great as well.

I never once thought that players weren't taking this seriously. However, I did feel that the "vets" from last season were giving the newbies every chance to make the team.

I did see my friendly chirping and bumping throughout. Damiani and Petizian for one. There were others. This is a close knit team with chemistry.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Sounds good! Thanks to all those who have been posting reviews. Those of us that can't get up there to see camp due to work, etc. really appreciate it! Keep it coming!

Reactions: hockeyfan9102
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig