Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Their board is similar to ours. Lose a few games, the cry is to sell. Win a few, the cry is to buy.

So far this year we’re 2-2 vs London. All the wins came with the losing team having key players out of the lineup. Methinks with two healthy squads going head to head, today it could be a coin flip. But post deadline if both teams go as all in as their assets will allow, I’m picking London in a seven game series.

Just because we’d have the best goalie in the series doesn’t mean much. Gibson, arguably the best goalie in the OHL at the time couldn’t beat a London team who, wait for it, made better trade deadline moves than we did.

History could repeat itself.
Yup....it all comes down to London bringing in players....but if not, they are not the team to beat IMHO. Showing their depth issues big time. Two key players should not bring a whole team down. Although not having Dale Hunter there to crack the whip... (he has his hands full with Team Canada right now)

Reactions: nelli27

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I was implying that you enjoyed the fact that you don't have to watch Tymkin's terrible excuse of a hockey game anymore
That's odd. Only two months ago (Oct. 28), you said in the London thread that you'd always been a fan of Tymkin. You don't have to pretend to be a fan of both teams over there. We like Ranger fans---I've said many times-- you guys are the best on HB by far.

Reactions: TheCoach

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I must have missed it, what did Keane do to earn 5 games?

During the Kitchener radio broadcast, it was pointed out that the league handed down new rules recently that dictated that if a player used any foul language whatsoever towards an official, he was to be ejected from the game. The only way I could see something verbal equalling five games, is if there was something racial or sexual, etc said.

They brought this rule up as a result of Keane being ejected.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I must have missed it, what did Keane do to earn 5 games?

from watching on TV, he said something to the linesman and was given the automatic boot.

Eric Guest did the same thing in his rookie season in Kitchener and got the automatic 5

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
from watching on TV, he said something to the linesman and was given the automatic boot.

Eric Guest did the same thing in his rookie season in Kitchener and got the automatic 5

Guest didn’t do it to an official though.

It was vs Sudbury. I heard it from somebody “in the know” that he said something derogatory to Levin that had either racial or religious overtones.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I had in mind the 11-12 season when they picked up OHL playoff MVP Austin Watson.
Just for the record although we had Gibson, London had CHL Goaltender of the Year Michael Houser. I believe few people, even in London expected to win that year

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Just for the record although we had Gibson, London had CHL Goaltender of the Year Michael Houser. I believe few people, even in London expected to win that year

Gibson wasn’t going to win OHL goaltender of the year in either year that he played because he missed half of each season with injury. But, the popular opinion by many around the league was that he was the best in the league.

Reactions: rangersblues

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Well half way through the season, the Rangers are in 5th, 4 points out of first. Looking back on the first half, it was a tale of 3 parts, a good start with points in most games, a bad middle and a good end. Will the real Rangers please stand up?
I think the team has found it's position, about 4th or 5th in the conference. They could buy, buy, buy, to make a run, but lacking picks, some of the younger players would have to go to even try and compete. I don't think that it is a good idea, getting into an arms race with teams with more resources, it is not a winning combination. Could they put together a package to try and sell some of the veterans, Ingham and Meireles say, for maybe an OA, a young player and 2 or 3 2nds might be a way to go? My guess would be that they will buy a minor players to add depth and play the cards they have. Look out for a 4th or 5th finish with a 1st or 2nd round exit.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I love it when the Rangers beat London. Let's be realistic though. We didn't beat the Knights with their best players on the ice or their head coach behind the bench. Yes, the Rangers dominated that game and they should have.

The winning streak has been great, but it's the regular season. The reality of the playoffs and best of 7 series is still to come.

If we sell, we set ourselves up nicely for years to come and can have young prospects and a good number of valuable draft picks.

I love this team with all my heart, but my head says sell.
Even a hat trick from one of them wouldn't have changed that game. Rangers played a great game and deserved the win.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Who never made it to the big show. Not so for Gib.
Gibson was obviously the better prospect and turned out to be the better goalie. He was one of my favourite Rangers ever.

The original post stated that Gibson was far and away the best goalie in the OHL. I was merely pointing out that Houser and his accomplishments that season were nothing to sneeze at.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Gibson was obviously the better prospect and turned out to be the better goalie. He was one of my favourite Rangers ever.

The original post stated that Gibson was far and away the best goalie in the OHL. I was merely pointing out that Houser and his accomplishments that season were nothing to sneeze at.

I brought up Gibson first. I said he was “arguably” the best in the league. Later, I said the “popular opinion” was he was the best.

I never did say that he was far and away the best.

But no matter. Doesn’t really make much difference today, lol.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
So Brown's article today re OHL trade deadline and the Rangers doesn't give a lot away. MM will not sell the farm...many of us believed that.....and he hints that he's open to trades but there are some players that he won't consider. (hopefully not his future youth) And he talks about opportunities to be creative so does that mean we give you X now and next season, we get Y? Anyway, see what you think.........
Rangers trying to get a read on trade market

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
So Brown's article today re OHL trade deadline and the Rangers doesn't give a lot away. MM will not sell the farm...many of us believed that.....and he hints that he's open to trades but there are some players that he won't consider. (hopefully not his future youth) And he talks about opportunities to be creative so does that mean we give you X now and next season, we get Y? Anyway, see what you think.........

MM really didn’t tell us anything in that article. But then based on our play so far, our lack of assets, and the tightness of this conference, this thing could go either way.

By saying he may get creative could mean a couple different things. For example:

Two part deal maybe involving Noel coming here and Vukojovic going to Oshawa in the off season.

Or, buy and sell at the same time. Maybe move out Damiani for 2nds but add a couple cheaper vets via 3rds. We could still stay competitive but improve our asset base at the same time.

Who knows?

Mar 12, 2009
One thing that has crossed my mind is something like what Oshawa did last year. They traded some major assets and got Lleyton Moore (1st round that year) and picks, then flipped those picks (and I think a couple others) to replace the quality players they traded to remain somewhat competitive.

Reactions: EvenSteven

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Brown is spit balling again but I found this interesting: "Read between the lines and that suggests that rookie forward Francesco Pinelli and Ingham — though highly coveted — aren't going anywhere. The big four of Meireles, Hawel, Damiani and Jonathan Yantsis are also likely safe".
The recent run also hints that the Rangers intend to be buyers, not sellers, as long as the price is right.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
That’s inventive. I’ll go right outside the box and suggest the following:

I admit. We’re pretty damn good this year. But in order for us to truly contend this year, we would have to buy aggressively and that means using up all of our 2nds and many of our 3rds. If we’re going to do that, which will cripple this team, asset wise, for the next couple years, we may as well be prepared to move quality youth.

That means, we should be willing to move any of our quality youth. That means, if the deal is right, be willing to move Pinelli.

Right away everybody is saying “No way it’ll ever happen” etc. etc. etc. But however, it is at least worth considering.

It’s true that 16 year olds like Pinelli don’t get moved often. But I contend that should we be willing to move him, it could bring us the biggest return, league wide, at this deadline.

Of course there will be a chance that we crash and burn in the playoffs and not win a championship and be without Pinelli’s services going forward. There’s also a good chance that over the course of Pinelli’s career here in Kitchener, we may not win a championship either with him in Ranger blue.

So this year is such a hard year where it seems the conference is up for grabs, and we are as good as our recent stretch shows, maybe we do the unprecedented and trade Pinelli and maybe another quality 02 or two and bring in two or three blue-chip veterans.

This type of move could put us far and away the favourite in the west.

Of course, there are no-trade clauses to concern ourselves with but for this exercise, we’ll overlook those for now.

Whoever the number one player available at the deadline is, we zero in on. With Hayton not having been returned to the OHL as of yet, it looks like Akil Thomas might be that guy. Could we put together a deal with Niagara that could put us over the top this year?

To Kitchener:
C-Thomas
RW-Tomasino

To Niagara:
RW-Valade
C-Pinelli

Niagara wouldn’t be getting multiple high picks for these two vets but they would be getting a couple of high end youngsters to play in their top six next year.

Because of the high end future value of Valade and Pinelli, this could be more of a “hockey deal” instead of the player for multiple picks type deal that this league has turned into over the years.

We’d be having our cake and eating it too. We could put ourselves as a happy favourite in the west with the deal of this nature, but still have futures as Tomasino, an 01, could be moved in the off-season along with Vukojovic for solid return.

Our forwardgroup post trade deadline would look like this:

Petizian - Meireles - Hawel
McDonnell - Damiani - Yantsis
Stepien - Thomas - Tomasino

That’s deep. Of course, we could load up the top two lines and go with a third line of Petizian - McDonnell - Stepien. No matter, we’d be very tough to beat.

You make a move for a less expensive second pairing D (LeGuerrier?) and we’re off to the races.

And, because we’re giving up such quality youth, we may be able to bring in these guys without affecting our draft pick cupboard in a major way.

Of course, I don’t see us moving Pinelli, but how’s that for outside the box?

Billyjack

Aug 25, 2018
Kitchener -Waterloo
That’s inventive. I’ll go right outside the box and suggest the following:

I admit. We’re pretty damn good this year. But in order for us to truly contend this year, we would have to buy aggressively and that means using up all of our 2nds and many of our 3rds. If we’re going to do that, which will cripple this team, asset wise, for the next couple years, we may as well be prepared to move quality youth.

That means, we should be willing to move any of our quality youth. That means, if the deal is right, be willing to move Pinelli.

Right away everybody is saying “No way it’ll ever happen” etc. etc. etc. But however, it is at least worth considering.

It’s true that 16 year olds like Pinelli don’t get moved often. But I contend that should we be willing to move him, it could bring us the biggest return, league wide, at this deadline.

Of course there will be a chance that we crash and burn in the playoffs and not win a championship and be without Pinelli’s services going forward. There’s also a good chance that over the course of Pinelli’s career here in Kitchener, we may not win a championship either with him in Ranger blue.

So this year is such a hard year where it seems the conference is up for grabs, and we are as good as our recent stretch shows, maybe we do the unprecedented and trade Pinelli and maybe another quality 02 or two and bring in two or three blue-chip veterans.

This type of move could put us far and away the favourite in the west.

Of course, there are no-trade clauses to concern ourselves with but for this exercise, we’ll overlook those for now.

Whoever the number one player available at the deadline is, we zero in on. With Hayton not having been returned to the OHL as of yet, it looks like Akil Thomas might be that guy. Could we put together a deal with Niagara that could put us over the top this year?

To Kitchener:
C-Thomas
RW-Tomasino

To Niagara:
RW-Valade
C-Pinelli

Niagara wouldn’t be getting multiple high picks for these two vets but they would be getting a couple of high end youngsters to play in their top six next year.

Because of the high end future value of Valade and Pinelli, this could be more of a “hockey deal” instead of the player for multiple picks type deal that this league has turned into over the years.

We’d be having our cake and eating it too. We could put ourselves as a happy favourite in the west with the deal of this nature, but still have futures as Tomasino, an 01, could be moved in the off-season along with Vukojovic for solid return.

Our forwardgroup post trade deadline would look like this:

Petizian - Meireles - Hawel
McDonnell - Damiani - Yantsis
Stepien - Thomas - Tomasino

That’s deep. Of course, we could load up the top two lines and go with a third line of Petizian - McDonnell - Stepien. No matter, we’d be very tough to beat.

You make a move for a less expensive second pairing D (LeGuerrier?) and we’re off to the races.

And, because we’re giving up such quality youth, we may be able to bring in these guys without affecting our draft pick cupboard in a major way.

Of course, I don’t see us moving Pinelli, but how’s that for outside the box?
A very hard NO, a terrible idea. I'd rather watch 3-4 years great hockey than 1/2 year of what your suggesting, which could end in a early out, then what. Half the fun is watching these young guys develop and I want to see Pinelli and Valade develop which in the end might bring what we all want anyway if we are patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad