Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Just a couple of thoughts. 1) This weekends back up goalie looks decent. His stats are impressive although he is playing on a stacked team. So if he gets any playing time it will be a real test for him. 2) Just a little worried about Pinelli, I hope he does not end up like Vuks and is ranked to go top 10 by the end of the year and then fall to the third round because of the people he is playing with wont be here next year. 3) I personally believe that if we are going to make any trades this year then I would like us to add size. Playoffs is a different style of game form the regular season. It is more physical and getting some more size on this team is a priority.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Vukojovic was more than solid defensively but didn't show the offensive flash that leads to being a top pick. I agree let it play out. Just saying.

At the time the buzz on here had Vukojovic going in the upper reaches of the 1st round and a danger to graduate from this league early, he was winding down his 16 year old year.

He had an exceptional playoff for a very green 16 year old and even put up 10 points in 19 playoff games - good for 3rd in playoff scoring among D-men if you include Garreffa. But I doubt with Stanley, Garreffa, and Vallati around, he saw even one minute of time on the PP. There wasn’t much opportunity to display any offensive flash.

It was last year when he was asked to take on much more responsibility that his stock dropped. Even then, he really wasn’t given much opportunity of any PP time until the second half and even then, second unit on occasion. McKee was too busy going with 5 forwards (including Joey) on the PP in a rebuilding year.

I said it then and I’ll say it now. In a rebuilding year, Vukojovic, and in the second half, Sebrango, should have seen a lot more PP time in an effort to allow that side of their game to develop.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Time to wake up. 6 wins in 15 games. This is the record of a contender?

This team is showing us “who they are”. The injuries are no excuse. If a team is a contender, their depth should be able to get it done. If they don’t have depth, how can they contend?

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

This team is showing us “who they are”. The injuries are no excuse. If a team is a contender, their depth should be able to get it done. If they don’t have depth, how can they contend?

I am grudgingly beginning to agree. The next 6 or 7 games are going to tell the tale.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

they don't have depth. Our 4th line tonight was a defensive pair and a guy who would be playing in the OJHL on most contending teams. our 3rd line currently has a guy without a point through 14 games

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Storm skated through the Ranger defense at ease most of this game. Rangers are in 9th place in the conference. Not going anywhere this year from the looks of their play. No depth or character. Who pushes back?

Reactions: rangersblues

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I’ve been advocating selling off since the last deadline with 20-21 the first of a couple target years to contend.

I still feel that way.

But if that middle tier doesn’t start filling the void...,,,,

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
The middle tier isn't developing at all. They are trying but have had zero growth in their game. This team is really in limbo. If they don't get it together they're in serious jeopardy of being mid-to-lower pack for the next couple of years.
I’ve been advocating selling off since the last deadline with 20-21 the first of a couple target years to contend.

I still feel that way.

But if that middle tier doesn’t start filling the void...,,,,

I’d say the “middle tier” is doing fine (Valade, Petizian, Stepien, McDonnell). the thing is, they are always the “top tier” due to all the injuries. the Rangers need more “middle tier” so that when there are injuries, the bottom 6 doesn’t get confused with our backup goalie situation

Reactions: Torgo

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Two years ago, our middle tier at the time, Meireles, McHugh, Damiani, weren't expected to play top six minutes because we were deep of quality veteran forwards - especially after the deadline.

That’s not the case this year. Therefore, instead of the likes of Valade, MacDonnell, Petizian, Langdon, etc flourishing among the bottom six, they're taking turns being force fed onto the top six sooner than they should be. Because we’re supposed to be a contender, the heat is on them to produce.

The difference this time around is that we don’t have the picks/expendable young players to go out and bring in multiple high end veteran forwards like we did two years ago.

Two years ago, after opening night, we acquired Sherwood, Smith, Brown, McEneny, Culina. It cost us six 2nds. Three 3rds. Two 5ths. An 8th. And our first rounder Ladd.

This year we currently have three 2nds, nine 3rds, and our first rounder who we are not willing to move.

To go all in to put us in a position to be confident to win the conference, we’ll need to bring in comparable assets. The problem is we don’t have the assets to do it and our competitors who are also contending, do.

That’s what we’re up against.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Two years ago, our middle tier at the time, Meireles, McHugh, Damiani, weren't expected to play top six minutes because we were deep of quality veteran forwards - especially after the deadline.

That’s not the case this year. Therefore, instead of the likes of Valade, MacDonnell, Petizian, Langdon, etc flourishing among the bottom six, they're taking turns being force fed onto the top six sooner than they should be. Because we’re supposed to be a contender, the heat is on them to produce.

The difference this time around is that we don’t have the picks/expendable young players to go out and bring in multiple high end veteran forwards like we did two years ago.

Two years ago, after opening night, we acquired Sherwood, Smith, Brown, McEneny, Culina. It cost us six 2nds. Three 3rds. Two 5ths. An 8th. And our first rounder Ladd.

This year we currently have three 2nds, nine 3rds, and our first rounder who we are not willing to move.

To go all in to put us in a position to be confident to win the conference, we’ll need to bring in comparable assets. The problem is we don’t have the assets to do it and our competitors who are also contending, do.

That’s what we’re up against.

it may be hard, but if it’s what it takes I’d be ok moving Langdon. it looks like after this year, Pinelli will take the 1C spot and Petizian is making a heck of a case for the 2C spot. 2 points in 12 games for Langdon is not good at all. he had 2 points in his first game last year. not to mention, there’s only been 1 game with a full lineup and he was on the 4th line. he’s been playing on the 3rd line with all the injuries and is failing to produce, and I doubt it increases as they get healthier and he moves further down the depth chart

I do think he’s a potential breakout candidate later on in his junior career, however

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
it may be hard, but if it’s what it takes I’d be ok moving Langdon. it looks like after this year, Pinelli will take the 1C spot and Petizian is making a heck of a case for the 2C spot. 2 points in 12 games for Langdon is not good at all. he had 2 points in his first game last year. not to mention, there’s only been 1 game with a full lineup and he was on the 4th line. he’s been playing on the 3rd line with all the injuries and is failing to produce, and I doubt it increases as they get healthier and he moves further down the depth chart

I do think he’s a potential breakout candidate later on in his junior career, however

Today, I doubt Langdon has enough trade value to bring in a big fish.

If I’m trading a high end veteran to the Rangers, the ‘02 F I want is one of Valade or MacDonnell. Or I’ll shop my high end veteran to another team.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Some post game comments.

Jay McKee basically said the vets are taking bad penalties and setting a bad example.

Liam Hawel - "The coaches can do all they want drawing up game plans but at the end of the day it's us that needs to buy in and work hard and play like we care because right now it doesn't look like that."

I couldn't agree more. Yantsis for example. It was nice to see him hit the scoresheet twice last night. It seems like he scores in bunches and has gone through a bad stretch lately. But in the meantime he has 33 pim. Most of them hooking penalties in the offensive zone (another last night). This is something he can correct.

This team has some tough games coming. Oshawa, Kingston, London, Guelph, London, Peterborough. If there isn't significant improvement in all the games effort wise, it's time to blow it up. That would put us near the one third mark in the schedule and not any progress from training camp - again. In 2017 when we contended, MM traded us into it. I agree with ES we can't go that route again. I was hoping we wouldn't need to bring in as much as we did that season with the league being wide open.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I agree with the comments on depth.

The skill level of our "depth" players isn't good. They lack either the desire or ability to step up when they need to step in and contribute more.

The compete level of our entire team hasn't been good. A season high crowd of 7,000 plus and the Rangers played with very little energy and heart. I will say Declan McDonnell is the exception. He brings it.

More stupid, selfish, undisciplined penalties.

Dickerson and Rupoli are not OHL calibre players.

Our defence looks lost. Guelph got into our zone easily and had their way in it. Not a fan of coach Wideman. There's some good talent back there, but they're not being directed very well.

Yes, they've had to deal with injuries to major players which weakens all the line combinations, but at least show some pride and effort.

With the uncertainty of the Jacob Ingham injury, a season that had promise is turning into one where our lack of depth is showing.

This is not a go for it year.

Last edited:
Reactions: rangersblues

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Right now you won't get much of a return for Langdon. Couple of points and minus 2 ? There are a few players on this squad that would seriously have issues putting numbers up in Junior B.

Reactions: rangersblues and K2

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Prospect Pipeline thread below: "Our latest prospect profile ahead of the 2020 OHL Draft delves into the game of Oakland Jr. Grizzlies centre Rutger McGroarty -- an intimidating physical player who has quickly come to be regarded as one of the most prolific goal scorers eligible for the upcoming Priority Selection. In possession of a powerful shot and innate offensive abilities, McGroarty has the ability to take control of any given game which he competes in".
This is an example of the type of player the Rangers need to start drafting. Sounds like he has some character and grit.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
We’re not good enough right now to compete and be the favourite to win the conference. Other teams are as good or better. We don’t have the picks to trade our way into top contention as we did in 2017-18. Other teams have double or more the 2nds to go all in. A couple may be willing to move their 2019 first rounder. We are not.

I had been thinking that it may be too hard to sell off our vets at this point. I’ve said as much on here. But after looking at what other teams have done in the past, selling off multiple graduating players in a major rebuild, it wouldn’t really be so tough over the course of the season after all.

All hypothetical of course, and I understand we’d need to find trading partners, but here we go:

Oshawa is rumoured to be shopping Noel and Antropov. Perhaps they plan on having their cake and eating it too. I mean, hey, they’re first in the east. The experience of a long playoff run this year would help with the Memorial Cup bidding process.

They could sell those guys off, but improve their OA’s, and by doing so, still contend this year and have more in the cupboard than they do now for a run next year.

So, they move Noel and Antropov elsewhere for large return. We trade them Meireles who’d replace Noel’s offence at half the price. We take back Walker and Resnick as inexpensive OA’s.

Meireles is a better than average OA in the same category as a Maksimovich. So he’s worth more than the standard 2nd, 2nd, 3rd. The Maksimovich deal had him going to Ottawa for Swankler, three 2nds and a 13th.

To Osh:
Meireles.

To Kit:
2nd ‘20(Wind)
2nd ‘23
2nd ‘24
5th ‘23
Resnick
Walker

We have to ice a team for the remainder of the season. That’s why we bring in Oshawa’s excess OA’s giving them landing spots to finish out their OHL careers and provide veteran depth. There isn’t a young Swankler coming our way, hence the 5th rounder.

Flint apparently wants to go all in this year hard. They haven’t had a winning season yet in Flint and they have a fan base they’ll want to reward for enduring some tough seasons.

They have a veteran roster and have already started buying (Lalonde). They may want to go all in so much so that they’d be willing to part with a good young player (Vierling, who’s rumoured to want a trade). After all, after swinging the Lalonde deal, they still have a number of high picks left. (six 2nds and seven 3rds). Therefore, they can bring in a couple high end F’s that could put them over the top in a year the conference is up for grabs and still have picks left to make more moves (ie. Guelph last year) or go towards the impending rebuild.

To Flint:
Damiani
Yantsis.

To Kitchener:
Vierling.
2nd ‘20(Soo).
2nd ‘24.
3rd ‘24
5th ‘23(Ham)

Vierling was the #2 overall pick in the OHL draft. That’s value! However, Vierling wasn’t ranked that high in his OHL draft year. One scouting service had him going at #11. I’m thinking that Flint may have selected the best player that would report. In this deal, this isn’t Flint trading a 2nd overall player the caliber of, say, Othmann next year. So with this in mind, they may be more receptive to moving him. Tough for Flint to give him up but they’d be getting a 50 goal scorer and one of the top two way players in the league who’s scoring at over a PPG pace and who’s been at the WJC camp, in return. Both with the experience of long playoff runs (2018).

I’m comparing this deal to the Logan Brown deal to the Rangers. That was Brown, McEneny for Ladd, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 5th. Brown may be higher end than Damiani but Yantsis is a higher end OA than McEneny. Once you factor in the fact Vierling is a year older than Ladd, I think this is a fair deal.

Consensus is that it is better to split up players to get more in return for them than packaging them up. But I’m thinking we might have to include both of these guys to Flint to be able to get somebody the calibre of Vierling in return as I think one of those guys would not get it done by themselves.

Though there’s a slim chance that Damiani returns for an OA season, there is a chance nonetheless. That could entice Flint to do this deal as well, instead of dealing for a more expensive bigger fish in this deal who definitely won’t return.

London could use an upgrade in the OA department. They’d like size too. But they may want to contend again next year as well. Therefore, they probably don’t want to blow their brains out burning assets this year in acquiring too many high end players. Therefore, the cheapest way to bring in higher end help is via OA’s. Coincidentally, London can upgrade on a couple of their OA’s (Tymkin & Moskal)

To London:
Hawel

To Kitchener:
2nd ‘22
2nd ‘23(King)
3rd ‘22

We get back what it cost us to get Hawel in the first place and London addresses their size issue and upgrades their OA group. The only issue I see with Hawel going to London, is that he formerly played in Guelph with Merkley. Is there any friction between the two? Hard to tell. Merkley wasn’t liked by many in that room. But I doubt very much that London would allow something like that to affect the building of a winner. If that were the case, they likely don’t make the Merkley deal in the first place.

Before we make these deals, in our cupboard, we currently sit at three 2nds and nine 3rds. Afterwards, we’d sit at:

2nd ‘20(Wsr)
2nd ‘20(Soo)
2nd ‘21(Kit)*
2nd ‘22(Ldn)
2nd ‘22(Kit)*
2nd ‘23(Osh)
2nd ‘23(KIng)
2nd ‘24(Osh)
2nd ‘24(Bar)*
2nd ‘24(Flint)

Add to that eleven thirds, three of them in 2020.

Two of the incoming 2nds are in ‘20 giving us three ‘04 born players coming into the lineup next year as we had happen with Valade, Langdon and Sebrango. That sets us up in the future. Having three 3rds in 2020 as well, we could trade down in the week before the draft or use them to take a flyer or two on high end NCAA commits. We also add a high end young player in Vierling. That means one less piece we’d need to trade for when we look to contend in 20-21 and 21-22.

We’d have a full cupboard of picks to go all in next year in a year the western champ could get an automatic berth in the Memorial Cup that’ll likely be hosted in the east.

With two 2nds in the next draft, we’d also have the option of moving our 1st rounder in a deal for an elite veteran without it hurting too much - much like how it went down at the 2017 deadline with the dealing of Ladd not hurting too much with Vukojovic confirmed coming.

I choose to keep Ingham as we need solid goaltending for the rest of this year. Also, fingers are crossed that he returns for an overage season next year.

However, if it’s too much a gamble hoping he comes back as an OA, we can explore moving him as well. Part of that process would be to try and get a Wu or Hasley to sign for the remainder of the season with the promise that they’d split the duties with Pfiel. There is a reason that Wu is skating with the Rangers every once in a while. Can something be in the works regarding his status? If not one of those two, I’m sure whoever we’d deal Ingham to would have a throw-in goalie that could come back our way to complete the deal.

Saginaw may look for an upgrade in net. Especially if their import OA Prosvetov doesn’t return. Sudbury also could use an upgrade in net. There are contenders out there who would like to upgrade their goaltending.

Should Prosvetov not return, they’d have both a need in net and an open import spot. If Bode Wilde doesn’t return, they may want to replace his spot with a veteran D. They could do that on the cheap by adding a second import. Perhaps something could be worked out where Ingham and Bergkvist find their way to Saginaw?

We’d recoup the picks it cost us to acquire Ingham in the first place (2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 6th) and bring in a couple picks for Bergkvist (as an NHL drafted player, but a historically hard to move import, he could be worth maybe a couple 4ths?).

We could replace Bergkvist’s minutes by acquiring an OA D on the cheap to finish out the season. A comparable would be a Cole Cameron type.

But for now, I’ll continue as if we keep Ingham and Bergkvist.

After the dust settles:

Out:
C-Greg Meireles
RW-Jonathon Yantsis
C-Liam Hawel
C-Riley Damiani

In:
LW-Cole Resnick(OA)
LW-Daniel Walker(OA)
C-Evan Vierling(02)
Seven 2nds
Two 3rds
Two 5ths.

Here’s how we’d look post trade deadline:

OA’s:
LW- Resnick
LW- Walker

00’s:
LW/D- Rupoli
D- MacPherson
D- Bergkvist
G- Ingham
G- Pfiel

01’s:
C/W- Petizien
RW- Stepien
RW- Dickerson
D- Vukojovic
D- Xhekaj

02’s:
RW- Valade
C- Vierling
C- Langdon
C- Serpa
RW- MacDonnell
D- Sebrango
D- Ottavainen

03’s:
C- Pinelli
C- Fishman
D- Motew

(These lines are interchangeable):

Petizien-Langdon-Valade
Resnick-Vierling-MacDonnell
Walker-Pinelli-Stepien
Dickerson-Serpa-Fishman
Rupoli

Vukojovic-Bergkvist
MacPherson-Sebrango
Ottavainen-Xhekaj
Motew

Ingham
Pfiel

After the season, we’d lose Resnick, Walker, Bergkvist, Rupoli and Pfiel to graduation.

MacPherson and hopefully Ingham come back for OA seasons. We draft another veteran import (01 born) who’d come in to play a big part next year just like Bergkvist this year.

We go all in next year in an effort to get to the final. We’ll be deep because of the expected development of our 02 and 03 group. Therefore, we shouldn’t have to use up all the picks in the cupboard on next year alone. But we’d still be able to swing deals like we did in 17-18. That would leave assets available to go all in the following year as well when our 02’s and 03’s are 19 and 18 years old and we’ll have a couple pretty good OA’s in Petizien and Stepien.

If Wu and Schmidt report by then? We’ll even be better.

Thoughts?

Mar 12, 2009
It was nice to see Sebrango get on the scoresheet so quickly in his return. Down hill from there.
At the time the buzz on here had Vukojovic going in the upper reaches of the 1st round and a danger to graduate from this league early, he was winding down his 16 year old year.
The bolded was based purely on one quote from TheScout.ca
The middle tier isn't developing at all. They are trying but have had zero growth in their game. This team is really in limbo. If they don't get it together they're in serious jeopardy of being mid-to-lower pack for the next couple of years.
Langdon's the only mid tier guy I'm not seeing enough from at the moment Edit: forgot about Stepien, he's another I've been hoping to see take a next step but hasn't. I like our 17 year olds quite a bit, less concerned about the next couple years and more concerned with this season. Even with injuries we shouldn't be losing lopsided games to rebuilding teams. It's our top tier guys that are letting me down currently. If they perform as expected, they take the other teams top ddefensive matchups, giving the mid tier guys more favourable matchups, but I don't feel like that's happening.

I'm not making any knee jerk reactions, but if we're at least this healthy and still doing this poorly a month from now, I'll be firmly in the sell camp (or at least the "sell some assets" camp). My only concern with selling is I don't think this is a sellers market by any stretch, I don't think the expected returns (especially for OAs as shown above) will match reality.

Chayka is going to be a good one. I remember liking his game in the OHL Cup, really coming into his own this year.

Last edited:

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Owen Sound is rebuilding and near the top of the conference. The Storm is rebuilding and above the Rangers in play off contention.
Something is missing with the Rangers for sure.

......and a number of valuable draft picks were given up to get the Rangers to where they are today. If in sell mode, a lot will have to be given up just "to get back to even".

[edit] By the way, last year wasn't "stand-pat" in my opinion...it was worse. The Lipinov / McHugh "trade off" was worse than doing nothing at all, and it didn't help the draft cupboard.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Prospect Pipeline thread below: "Our latest prospect profile ahead of the 2020 OHL Draft delves into the game of Oakland Jr. Grizzlies centre Rutger McGroarty -- an intimidating physical player who has quickly come to be regarded as one of the most prolific goal scorers eligible for the upcoming Priority Selection. In possession of a powerful shot and innate offensive abilities, McGroarty has the ability to take control of any given game which he competes in".
This is an example of the type of player the Rangers need to start drafting. Sounds like he has some character and grit.
That's a fine blog and all, but the information there isn't particularly accurate when compared to drafts...their goalie list was abysmal last year. I don't think drafting in higher rounds has been our problem, frankly...but ya, the Rangers should draft one of the top prospects in the entire draft (like he is touted) if they can...but he's NCAA committed

Last edited:

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Today, I doubt Langdon has enough trade value to bring in a big fish.

Dubious that he'd return us a 2nd round pick and be much more than a throw-in if dealt right now. Potential, sure & he did us the favor of reporting but he's not producing or really even much of a presence on the ice ... I think we own the risk that he'll eventually emerge as a contributor.

With the uncertainty of the Jacob Ingham injury, a season that had promise is turning into one where our lack of depth is showing.

Without Ingham returning to play in good form we're done, Pfeil won't win games without 5+ (preferably early) goals to prop him up and apparently there's nobody else.

Something is missing with the Rangers for sure.

JoeyG may well have contributed more than just the numbers he put up. A versatile catalyst on the ice and upbeat guy in the room goes a long way. No injuries, no penalties (career PIMs less than Yantsis' 2019 PIMS through 1st 15 games), top producer 3 years running, etc. It wasn't to be & Hawel's a solid replacement but...

This team isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

Looks that way. I'd like to see us play a few games against good teams with everyone healthy to confirm our potential but Ingham's injury is especially problematic and to be hit with such a wide injury bug already might be telling about durability going forward. If a full roster isn't foreseeable, sell deep and tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: EvenSteven
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad