Kitchener Rangers 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
From Brown's report: Surprise 2, Sarnia's Sean Josling averaging just more than two points per game with an obscene 25 points in his past 10 tilts. I remember when he was a free agent invite to Kitchener's spring camp. Ah, memories.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I have absolutely zero knowledge about the 2021 draft class but I'd take bets Pinelli goes quite a bit higher than 20th.

This kid has had me in disbelief,
Great shot, protects the puck
But most of all: his positioning
He has that hockey sense, knows where to be and where to put the puck

Reactions: rangersblues

jamemcca

Oct 6, 2014
So..who all from the hockey world was spotted at Canada Russia game tonight?
Bob McKenzie is in the house

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Hawel is out so it wouldn’t matter. But if I remember correctly, you can’t ice three OA’s and have a fourth as a backup.

If he isn’t starting, he’d have to be in the press box if we had three healthy OA’s.

I am 99% positive that only counts for players on your roster.

If its an emergency situation which it would be, it doesn't count.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
how does everyone think this years roster shapes out in comparison to 2017-18? the top 6 forwards were Bunnaman, Mascherin, Smith, Sherwood, Brown, and Hugg when Garreffa played D iirc.

those first 5 are very good. but I think if there’s another solid forward added this year, Yantsis, Damiani, Meireles, Hawel, Pinelli and *insert name* are pretty good as well.

then the McHugh-Damiani-Meireles shutdown line. I’m confident they can put some form of shutdown line together between Valade, Langdon, McDonnell, Petizian, Stepien. 2 of them will be on the 4th line with maybe another depth pickup.

the defence. 16 year old Vuk, Stanley, Garreffa, Gentles, York, McEneny. if this years D core comes together, I think they are deeper IMO.

and obviously I’m comfortable with Ingham if he plays like he has

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
how does everyone think this years roster shapes out in comparison to 2017-18? the top 6 forwards were Bunnaman, Mascherin, Smith, Sherwood, Brown, and Hugg when Garreffa played D iirc.

those first 5 are very good. but I think if there’s another solid forward added this year, Yantsis, Damiani, Meireles, Hawel, Pinelli and *insert name* are pretty good as well.

then the McHugh-Damiani-Meireles shutdown line. I’m confident they can put some form of shutdown line together between Valade, Langdon, McDonnell, Petizian, Stepien. 2 of them will be on the 4th line with maybe another depth pickup.

the defence. 16 year old Vuk, Stanley, Garreffa, Gentles, York, McEneny. if this years D core comes together, I think they are deeper IMO.

and obviously I’m comfortable with Ingham if he plays like he has

I think the only place we’re deeper this year than 17-18 is in net. The difference there is that Culina just had to not lose us games where Ingham I believe can be depended on to steal games based on his play thus far.

Post trade deadline 2018, our D was Stanley, Hall, McEneny, Vallati, York, Gentles, Vukojovic. That’s deeper than this year’s. Once Hall was deemed out for the season, Vukojovic filled in just fine. I believe Joey didn’t go back on D until the third round after the McEneny injury.

No disrespect to Pinelli but I can’t see him among the top six of a contender. So I believe we’d need two forward additions to the top six. We don’t have the assets to bring in a duo like Brown and Smith like we did at the 2018 deadline. That’s two elite players.

But we do have the assets to bring in one elite F and another decent veteran F who could maybe play on the top six. Once that’s done, maybe we come close to the 17-18 team up front.

I can make a case to buy to make us pretty damn good. I can make a case to sell to make us top shelf for 20-22 and 21-22.

What I can’t do is make a case where we stand pat. Makes zero sense this year and going forward.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I have absolutely zero knowledge about the 2021 draft class but I'd take bets Pinelli goes quite a bit higher than 20th.

Easy now.

We all said the same thing about Vukojovic after his first few months here. Thought he may be NHL bound at 18 or 19. All he did was drop in the rankings by the end of his draft year.

Let’s let this play out.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Sebrango to return tonight. no Meireles, Ingham or Serpa. Hawel game time decision per Josh Brown

anyone know what happened to Serpa?

Mar 12, 2009
I think the only place we’re deeper this year than 17-18 is in net. The difference there is that Culina just had to not lose us games where Ingham I believe can be depended on to steal games based on his play thus far.

Post trade deadline 2018, our D was Stanley, Hall, McEneny, Vallati, York, Gentles, Vukojovic. That’s deeper than this year’s. Once Hall was deemed out for the season, Vukojovic filled in just fine. I believe Joey didn’t go back on D until the third round after the McEneny injury.

No disrespect to Pinelli but I can’t see him among the top six of a contender. So I believe we’d need two forward additions to the top six. We don’t have the assets to bring in a duo like Brown and Smith like we did at the 2018 deadline. That’s two elite players.

But we do have the assets to bring in one elite F and another decent veteran F who could maybe play on the top six. Once that’s done, maybe we come close to the 17-28 team up front.

I can make a case to buy to make us pretty damn good. I can make a case to sell to make us top shelf for 20-22 and 21-22.

What I can’t do is make a case where we stand pat. Makes zero sense this year and going forward.
I think we need a top line left winger. Anything more for the top 6 depends on how Valade does going forward. 1 point off of a PPG pace (matched his goal totals from last season in 9 games) despite injury and he looked great on the 2nd line early. If he can show he can consistently fill that role, I'm not sure spending the assets makes sense. If we did add two, one of stepien/petizian is likely gone.
Sebrango to return tonight. no Meireles, Ingham or Serpa. Hawel game time decision per Josh Brown

That's great news. From seeing it, his was the injury I was most worried about being significantly long term.

Reactions: Rangers True Blue

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014

Carter Robertson cross checked him into the corner boards 5 minutes into the 3rd period...appeared to be shoulder trouble

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Carter Robertson cross checked him into the corner boards 5 minutes into the 3rd period...appeared to be shoulder trouble

It looked pretty bad when I was at the game. Hope they send in the tape as it was a blatant check into the boards from behind.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Anyone catch any of the Canada/Russia series? How is Damiani looking/fitting in?
Damiani looked small for sure but it never stops him from doing his job. When he had ice time, he made the most of it. Didn't score but did have a couple of nice scoring chances. Was on the top PP line. Didn't see him on the PK. Received more ice time in the 3rd. Did as much as he could do I thought.

Akil Thomas......love to see him on the Rangers.

And either Team OHL was that good or the Russian team was having an off night. Big boys on that Russian team but the OHL gave as good as it got.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Anyone catch any of the Canada/Russia series? How is Damiani looking/fitting in?
played on the PP with Byfield, Drysdale, Thomas & Dellandrea and they scored. he was playing more of a shutdown role which is expected if he’s to play at the WJCs. thought he played well in that role as we all know he’s good at it

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

I didn’t catch the game. But earlier on here, a couple posters questioned Damiani and opined that based on his play this year, there’s no guarantee he won’t be available for an OA season next year.

Did he do anything last night to make anyone think he’s too good to play an OA season?

Mar 12, 2009
I didn’t catch the game. But earlier on here, a couple posters questioned Damiani and opined that based on his play this year, there’s no guarantee he won’t be available for an OA season next year.

Did he do anything last night to make anyone think he’s too good to play an OA season?
It's way to early to speculate on him returning as an OA. For my money, I wouldn't count on it personally.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
On the Serpa hit - definitely looked to be favouring his shoulder. Should have been a suspendable hit.

As for Damiani, I was there for last night's game and he did a reasonable job. Didn't have a ton of ice time. Did his usual job on the half wall on the one PP they got, but really didn't make much happen at 5-on-5. Based on deployment last night, I really don't think he's on the TC radar for Christmas.

I know he scored last night, but otherwise, I thought Akil Thomas had a very poor outing. The pace bothered him clearly and he struggled to make anything happen. Byfield got POG for his two assists but was also quite quite. For my money, Dudas and Dellandrea were beasts and McMichael and Harley (last shift excepted) were close seconds. I'm not seeing it with Drysdale yet. Every time I see him he's a bit of a train wreck defensively. There's some Murphy in him.

Reactions: EvenSteven

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's way to early to speculate on him returning as an OA. For my money, I wouldn't count on it personally.

I agree. If it came down to us selling, I’d have a hard time hanging onto him hoping/expecting he’d be back next year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Who is all out tonight? I have been out of the loop the past week or so and feel like we have a ton of injuries.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener

For the record, I am one of the posters. I like Damiani but "based on this play this year thus far", minus a couple of exceptional games, I can see him coming back as an OA. Of course, it is early in the season and if he can consistently play like he did in those exceptions (i.e. the hat trick game) then he will be gone after this year.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Easy now.

We all said the same thing about Vukojovic after his first few months here. Thought he may be NHL bound at 18 or 19. All he did was drop in the rankings by the end of his draft year.

Let’s let this play out.

Vukojovic was more than solid defensively but didn't show the offensive flash that leads to being a top pick. I agree let it play out. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad