Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think the plan going forward is to rotate goalies for the time being. Eventually they have to go with the guy with the higher stats to move up in the standings. It will be interesting for sure if McGonigle gets healthy and I think they are still hoping Opilka will come back although a long shot. Just having McGonigle come back will create a crowded crease and give the team options if they have to move a goalie. I am sure all want to continue playing in the OHL. There will always be teams looking to improve their goaltending situation.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Richardson is starting!....I'm good with this!
Lets give him some quality starts and find out what the Rangers have.
Richardson just needs to keep his focus after a goal is scored, I've noticed he has a tendenacy
to give a cpl goals in a short period of time with the second one being rather weak!

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
This is precisely why I have no faith in our coaching. Any idiot could see last year that Gareffa starting C for 3-on-3 didn't work and yet McKee goes right back to it. Followed by the B.S. conservative two D plan.

With coaching so lacking in imagination or tactics we'll never maximize our talent.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
This is precisely why I have no faith in our coaching. Any idiot could see last year that Gareffa starting C for 3-on-3 didn't work and yet McKee goes right back to it. Followed by the B.S. conservative two D plan.

With coaching so lacking in imagination or tactics we'll never maximize our talent.

I have to agree that it hasn't worked. We have so much speed if we use it, 3on3 should be Meireles/McHughs bread and butter.
I'd say Guest as well, hopefully he's back soon. Would help with secondary scoring IMO. Gareffa and Henderson taking faceoffs at any point is a mistake.
Damiani has more to offer, should be on a scoring line if he's playing wing.

York in the lineup is preferred. send Ladd down for a bit to play minutes. If we can do that. Feel that York helps offence, good shot and usually a good zone exit through his passing.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I have to agree that it hasn't worked. We have so much speed if we use it, 3on3 should be Meireles/McHughs bread and butter.
I'd say Guest as well, hopefully he's back soon. Would help with secondary scoring IMO. Gareffa and Henderson taking faceoffs at any point is a mistake.
Damiani has more to offer, should be on a scoring line if he's playing wing.

York in the lineup is preferred. send Ladd down for a bit to play minutes. If we can do that. Feel that York helps offence, good shot and usually a good zone exit through his passing.

Exactly Tom. McHugh is perfect for that situation as are a few others. McKee stubbornly sticks with a failing plan. What did Einstein say about that?

Melrose

May 8, 2014
0 for 8 on the power play. We are using the same old break out in slow motion that we have used for the past 4 years. Teams just line up at the red line and stop everything before it gets started. Pretty pathetic in OT when you never had possession of the puck once.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Yes.. time to switch up the special teams but can't fault the Rangers for a good come back to grab a point.

Personally if I was calling the shots McHugh would see time on PP over Carter

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think the Rangers problem is that a big part of the team never developed enough to get noticed by pro scouts therefore not drafted or invited to camps. When they play a team like the Attack you can see the difference in the skill level. Their system has more structure to it. The Rangers at the moment just don't seem to have any lines that really compliment each other. Not sure where they got that blue print for the specialty team's PP but it's like a broken record. Why not try dumping the puck in with speed and going after it with a strong fore check at least once in a while. A team really has no need for a video guy if you use the same tactic over and over. I think goal tending on both teams is about the same but the Attack have far more offensive power than the Rangers and will have all season if the Rangers fail to make an adjustment up front. Mascherin need a skilled play maker to set him up and vice versa.

Last edited:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Definitely Bogey. McHugh is playing aggressive and fast and making skilled plays. He would easily bring more to the table right now. You have to use your lineup to push your lineup when you're a coach.

Sidenote - I really did not like seeing Gareffa throw his hands in the air when he made the bad pass to the point and the D man wasn't there. For one, it was mostly his fault. Secondly, you just don't ever show up a teammate like that. He has a lot to learn if he's looking to wear the C at some point.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Agreed. I didn't get the 3 on 3 "lines" that were put out there in OT. It didn't work last year and it sure didn't work this time around either. I have to admit that when OS went up 3-1, I thought "here we go again" but Rangers found another gear and tied it all up. Too bad that a new strategy wasn't used in OT. The Rangers might actually have won the game. And has there been any thought of getting someone in front of the opposing goalie to screen shots? Eugh.

And as my brother noted last night, Rangers played OS better in a 5 on 5 situation. And their PP was horrid considering that they have been supposedly working on it. The score would have been drastically different had the PP generated some goals. As for OS, they didn't live up to the hype and were undisciplined big time.

I did enjoy the 5-0 drubbing of London by Kingston though. : )

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Yes.. time to switch up the special teams but can't fault the Rangers for a good come back to grab a point.

Personally if I was calling the shots McHugh would see time on PP over Carter

I really don't understand why Carter is getting chances in the top 6 and PP, his offensive skill seems to be minimal. He seems like he should be more of a bottom 6, PK, energy type player.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Rangers True Blue, that is bang on. That's my problem. The parts of the game where this team continues to fail are the most coach-able phases. Special teams, deployment, etc. I thought the team played fairly well yesterday with a relatively good forecheck and some hard work. But again, it's the coaches who seem to let them down by going with an asinine OT alignment yet again. And completely disorganized special teams.

Reactions: bobber

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
To avoid just sounding negative, I want to elaborate a bit on my coaching criticisms, so bear with the long post. When you are a coach, you draw things up based on theory. Something that sounds like it will work in your head. Example: 3-on-3 OT, put out a shifty, elusive, good puck-handler. Then you apply in practical tests (ie game situations). If it doesn't work at first, you can tweak or try again. If it continues to fail and you continue to do so, you're just being stubborn. And at some point, the repeated tries morph into stupidity.

I would expect a coach at this level to identify why it's not working. To start any OT period, every single team in the OHL has some high end players and each and every coach is going to put on their top centre, who usually is bigger, stronger, better on the faceoffs and faster than a kid like Garreffa. With 3-on-3 being a total possession game, losing the opening draw in OT is critical. You simply can't have Garreffa take that draw and that has been proven time and again. He can play in OT, but it should be the second or third shift against a lesser wave of attackers, and ideally a change on the fly so no draw is involved.

Then, on the plan to use two D. Again, in theory it may sound worthwhile. We have some solid D and we try to shut down their top guys. However, playing two stay-at-home D is by design a passive, preventative mind-set. Trust me, the top offensive forwards on the opposing teams will sniff this out every time. I have played and coached enough hockey to know that offensive players salivate at the sight of a cautious, conservative opponent. It's full attack mode, using the open ice to full advantage. The only way to truly prevent those offensive players from tap dancing on you in a 3-on-3 situation is to push the throttle on your counter-punching. A D like Vallati who can strip a puck and turn it back with speed would work. Or some aggressive, fast forwards like McHugh or even Hugg who can jump on your mistake and leave you in the dust. You have to put a shadow of doubt and concern in the heads of those opposing players. If you play it safe, you hand them the win.

My big disappointment is not in the fact our coaches tried these things out. It's in the fact our coaching staff continue to go back to these ploys and seemingly fail to recognize why it doesn't work. If I'm a player on that bench, it makes me lose faith in my coach's abilities and that's a deadly thing to happen.

Reactions: Torgo

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Good post Tim. I said the same thing you mentioned last night that Vallati would have been a better choice 3 on 3 because he has speed and transitions faster than Stanley. Rangers chances of winning 3 on 3 were slim against a team with that much returning offense.

Face off break down last night
Garreffa 3/3
Damiani 1/7
Hugg 8/15
Hendo 2/4
Peyton 1/1
Merieles 1/9
Petizian 3/3

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
are those faceoff numbers wins/attempts or won/lost
Cuz Gareffa didn't go 3 for 3, or maybe we would have had the puck in OT.

I can't deny that the points being made are valid, have to hope they learn something from last night. 3on3 has killed us the last year and a bit, hopefully our new assistant coach says something.

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
I think Mckee likes Garreffa (like most of us), so he puts him out for the 3-on-3. Simple as that. There's no other reasoning or logic for consistently putting him out there when it doesn't work. That too many men penalty last night? Two players were standing on the ice looking at the bench not knowing to rush back to the bench or stay on the ice. I was looking at Mckee's face the whole time, he didn't know what had happened until five seconds after the whistle had been been blown and penalty called. Then proceeded to tilt his head back and roll his eyes like it was the kids' fault.
Just like when Mchugh was scared to attack the offensive zone in the third with the lead (in Sarnia). Not once during the 8 PPs last night, did they dump and chase. They're not letting the players make their own decisons. Beyond stubborn.
The reason his Merieles is selfish comments bugged me after the season opener was because I know he wouldn't say the same for a lot of other players. Mash's trip/hook on Friend was way more selfish, no comment. Hall's taken at least one bad penalty a game, no comment.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
are those faceoff numbers wins/attempts or won/lost
Cuz Gareffa didn't go 3 for 3, or maybe we would have had the puck in OT.

I can't deny that the points being made are valid, have to hope they learn something from last night. 3on3 has killed us the last year and a bit, hopefully our new assistant coach says something.
Those numbers are from the OHL game sheet. They are face off wins. Why would I make up those numbers. Look at the sheet. It wasn't Garreffa's fault they lost the game. You can win a face off and still lose control of the puck in a second. For me the Rangers issues are they are too small up front or the bigger guys are just average 3rd or 4th line players.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Those numbers are from the OHL game sheet. They are face off wins. Why would I make up those numbers. Look at the sheet. It wasn't Garreffa's fault they lost the game. You can win a face off and still lose control of the puck in a second. For me the Rangers issues are they are too small up front or the bigger guys are just average 3rd or 4th line players.

Didn't once say you made up the numbers?
I asked what the format was...

I think the team missed Bunnaman, and I also think Guest is missed, speed and skill is his game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Didn't once say you made up the numbers?
I asked what the format was...

I think the team missed Bunnaman, and I also think Guest is missed, speed and skill is his game.
Tom the reason I posted those face off stats was because I was surprised at how bad some players are at face offs. I agree we have to have Bunnaman in the line up. Guest is fast but another small forward that has to prove his worth. I think the Rangers are a good team but not a real threat to win the conference. Hopefully I am wrong and some of these average players take a step up and surprise me. If you look at the size of Yantsis as an example. He seems like a kid that could bang around in front of the net but to do that a team has to have possession of the puck for more than a few seconds .

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
When you put out 2 D in OT it seems to me that you are trying not to give a goal and lose. Generally when you try not to lose, all you achieve is a loss.

As someone said last night, good job the Rangers got rid of the coach who ran the powerplay last season. You can see how much it has improved in the last 3 games 0-13.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers were running on steam for the last period. Three games in three nights and short handed with 5 player missing in Bunner, Guest, Carter, Seitz and Alex Peterson. Still managed a win and two points.

Mike McKenzie was at the game with some Ranger scouts. ;)

Last edited:

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
5 out of a possible 6 points in 3 days. Some longer bus rides too, so I'm happy with the results. I still think the Rangers could and should play better. Some improvement in playmaking and timing would be nice. Hopefully with some good practices and Bunnaman feeling better we see some improvement.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Brown: Former Rangers first rounder Mike Davies is tied for the lead in GOJHL scoring with 19 points in nine games for the St. Kitts Falcons

... guess he found his niche. good for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad