Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
One game, so I won't over-react. But holy crap was that ever the same blah, no-tempo, redundant Ranger team of the past 7 years. No tactics, no in-game alterations, no intensity. If I can sum up the Rangers the last several years it'd be "meh."

Let's hope they find a different level, but I really don't believe the organization has many competent people in place.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Not enough discipline last night. And I know Rangers were missing Guest, Seitz, and McHugh...but the 4th line....when they had the chance (Kitchener penalities downsized those opportunities) were actually quite good. And Rangers had many chances that they couldn't capitalize on.....let's hope that changes!.....and the Flint team played hard with a goalie who seemed to stop pucks even when he didn't know where they were.

But to lose the game in the last few minutes due to a rookie mistake by Connor Hall, no wonder McKee was harping on discipline. Not a happy camper and he shouldn't be.

Let's see how if they bounce back in Sarnia. Only game one I know.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The Rangers did put themselves behind the 8 ball last night with undisciplined penalties. Regardless of that they still have to many players that can't finish. Going forward I can see this as a problem unless some of last years group step up. It's early but I think they will be looking at bolstering the offense through a trade sooner then later.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
One game, doesn't mean that the world is falling apart, there was some good things, but there were some worrying ones as well. Yes they were missing a couple of players up front, but my concern of putting the puck in the net still is there. Didn't think Richardson was too bad in net, but there were a lot of rebounds, however the defense tidied them up well. Yes the Rangers gave up some poor goals, but I thought the defense showed promise.

As I said a one game isn't the end of the world, we shall see what happens tomorrow.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Legit concerns brought up here, but let's re-evaluate after a few. On the bright side, the imports appear to be as advertised so far and that's a must if we're to contend this year. Let's hope they can keep it up.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
The Rangers did put themselves behind the 8 ball last night with undisciplined penalties. Regardless of that they still have to many players that can't finish. Going forward I can see this as a problem unless some of last years group step up. It's early but I think they will be looking at bolstering the offense through a trade sooner then later.

I agree with this.

I know everyone keeps saying it's one game and it's early on but the reality is, the Rangers handed this game to Flint and that's not a loss that should be happening period. Can accept defeat when both teams work hard but the other team is better but in this case and I'm not trying to discredit the effort Flint gave, they got the 2 points and that's what matters but handing a team victory is sad.

Hopefully they fix these problems soon.

Still think that having Barnaby as a coach is a terrible idea.

Most of you know that I have relocated to OS and have been cheering for the Attack. I was reading not to long ago that if the Attack had one just one of the 10 games they lost in the 1st 1.5 months of the season last year they would have finished 1st in the western conference. So I can understand being disappointed with losing early on.

I thought Richardson looked good, the Imports were awesome. Already like them more then Ceddy.

Gareffa made some nice passes, Hall is going to **** alot of people off this year. But man do I ever love his style.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
On a positive, yes, Liska and Hugg both looked solid. Liska had some good plays and Hugg was a going concern even though he lacks finish. But how long before our coaches Ranger them? Make them robotic, passionless, redundant puck chippers?

I still can't believe how poor a pace the Rangers play with. Today's game is all about speed and tempo, yet there are long stretches where it looks like we're skating in quick sand. The vast majority of our players slow it right down to a crawl as soon as they get it. If I'm a coach seeing that, I dramatically alter my practices. All pace and tempo until the game situations mirror it. Show some urgency boys! The fans are snoozing.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Home Opener Crowds:

2012-13 - 7639
2013-14 - 7252
2014-15 - 7203
2015-16 - 7160
2016-17 - 7105
2017-18 - 6755

Now I doubt any other opening night had weather like last night, but this is the lowest opening night crowd since the 6589 in 2011-12 which is the last season before the latest updates to the Aud.

Here's hoping things pick up as the season goes on.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Home Opener Crowds:

2012-13 - 7639
2013-14 - 7252
2014-15 - 7203
2015-16 - 7160
2016-17 - 7105
2017-18 - 6755

Now I doubt any other opening night had weather like last night, but this is the lowest opening night crowd since the 6589 in 2011-12 which is the last season before the latest updates to the Aud.

Here's hoping things pick up as the season goes on.

Here's hoping the teams play warrants the crowd picking up.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
The worst part is prices keep rising but they're asking us to lower our expectations. That's not a good proposition.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
The game in Sarnia was the type of game I was expecting this season. Low scoring. Not getting many, but not giving up a lot. Really think though if they are going anywhere this season they will need more than 3 goals a night. Still I guess the result is what's important.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The game in Sarnia was the type of game I was expecting this season. Low scoring. Not getting many, but not giving up a lot. Really think though if they are going anywhere this season they will need more than 3 goals a night. Still I guess the result is what's important.

I think with all the players coming back this season some thought this was a year the Rangers would be a contending team. I think we have to temper this idea a bit until we see what type of team this really is. The only impact players missing at the moment are Stanley and Opilka. Basically there is a group of players from the last two seasons that really have to put up numbers. To move forward you have to have depth. With out it look for a mid pack team again at best. On a side note D-Bouchard played a great game last night. The team in front looked average.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
I still think Rangers can be a contending team but they have to want it and be willing to work for it. I too am concerned with falling into the bad habits of last season.

Mash will get up to speed and when the imports settle into a new system and the smaller rink....plus....getting to know their linemates.....they should be stellar. Great to see Damiani stepping up and there's more to come.

Nice outing by ADB so that's encouraging but the next 3 games will be a test for the team with Windsor, OS, and Erie......

Reactions: Ward Cornell

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Another solid game from our goaltender. Here's hoping he gets the start tomorrow night vs Attack. Gotta go with the hot hand.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I believe Richardson will start tonight, Bouchard is the hot hand but with it being a 3 in 3 days I think he's more likely to steal tomorrow's game with a tired group in front of him.

Pretty solid game last night, beat a team that we should beat. First big test tonight, hopefully we see the boys fired up for it. Need to use our speed better going forward.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Solid game last night. Still a couple of players missing but others are filling those spots fairly well. Bunner left the game as a precaution apparently not feeling well. Big Stan made an impact. Felt sorry for him when the first Spits goal went in off his leg in the first minute. He brushed it off quick. The Rangers need to get Mash, Bunner and the imports putting up more numbers. Once they find the right combination of forwards that compliment each other their stats will start to go up fast.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Some of the Rangers struggles from last year is still happening mainly a very poor PK. Just can't be giving up these goals, it will burn a team eventually!
Hopefully with Stanley back and a healthy D-corps that it should improve. but in the meantime Hall needs to cut back on some of the lazy penalties (or he may be just getting back his timing from missing most of last year?)
But overall, except for that late game meltdown again Flint, the team has shown a lot of promise. Now to get the big guns firing and it should help overall (obviously my Einstein moment!)

Last edited:

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
I believe Richardson will start tonight, Bouchard is the hot hand but with it being a 3 in 3 days I think he's more likely to steal tomorrow's game with a tired group in front of him.

Pretty solid game last night, beat a team that we should beat. First big test tonight, hopefully we see the boys fired up for it. Need to use our speed better going forward.
I really hope you are wrong. I think ADB deserves his home game start. Ride the hot goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad