Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
With the strong looking D group returning, MM could afford to make this trade and it should turn out to be a good trade.

It’s no coincident that Kitchener is interested in Cuylle, who was Valade’s line mate with the Marlies last year.

I expect this deal to be made for Cuylle

Reactions: BogeyJ

MediaCritic

Jan 4, 2018
A little puzzling but if it's one thing we learned last year about Mike Mackenzie it's that he's a pretty shrewd GM. Let's see what happens next.

I guess summer is officially over!

Reactions: rangersblues

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I’m scratching my head over this.
What’s the scouting report on this guy?

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
OK....again not what I was expecting.........Rangers acquire MacPherson from Ice Dogs.

GM Joey Burke acknowledged the difficulty in making this roster movement, but believes it will benefit both the team and MacPherson. “This was a very difficult decision to move Justin. He has been an absolute pleasure to have here in Niagara. His work ethic and talent will be missed here, however the bottom line is that we needed to create space on our back end, and this deal accomplishes that while adding some very valuable draft picks to help us achieve our ultimate goal. I wish Justin nothing but success in Kitchener, and thank him for everything he has done in Niagara.”

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I’m scratching my head over this.
What’s the scouting report on this guy?

So KIT basically gets 2 2nds to go from Vallati to MacPherson. Both are 2000 born. Not a bad flip since Kit still has the top 4 to get by without Vallati and you’ll likely be riding Vukojevic a ton of minutes anyways

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
OK....again not what I was expecting.........Rangers acquire MacPherson from Ice Dogs.

GM Joey Burke acknowledged the difficulty in making this roster movement, but believes it will benefit both the team and MacPherson. “This was a very difficult decision to move Justin. He has been an absolute pleasure to have here in Niagara. His work ethic and talent will be missed here, however the bottom line is that we needed to create space on our back end, and this deal accomplishes that while adding some very valuable draft picks to help us achieve our ultimate goal. I wish Justin nothing but success in Kitchener, and thank him for everything he has done in Niagara.”
This is all a head scratcher for sure. There has to be a reason behind these trades. Basically both players play the same position. Same size. I believe Vallati is ranked higher as far as skill goes hence the higher value in assets acquired and the lower assets required to obtain McPherson. Just a shot in the dark but it would seem somebody had to be disgruntled one would think. GMs always say they hate to have a player leave when they trade them.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I won't speculate or anything but this makes me wonder if Vallati wanted out.

I cant really think of a reason why he'd want out but these moves today don't make a ton of sense.

THe brightside of this, the Defence still looks great moving forward. Like the team traded away a top 4 Dman and is still in very good shape on the blue line. lol

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
This is all a head scratcher for sure. There has to be a reason behind these trades. Basically both players play the same position. Same size. I believe Vallati is ranked higher as far as skill goes hence the higher value in assets acquired and the lower assets required to obtain McPherson. Just a shot in the dark but it would seem somebody had to be disgruntled one would think. GMs always say they hate to have a player leave when they trade them.
Maybe he wanted out but who knows!
What I do know is that this is slightly less of a lateral move and the Rangers are coming out 2 2nd round draft picks in the good. Plus I suspect McPherson has a stronger possibility of being an OA than Vallati! Like most stay at home defencemen a McPherson type always flies under the radar for most fans and we dont really appreciate their value.
At least now we won't here Dave Schneider struggle with Vallati and Valade over the PA! :)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Before today, should Anderson report, we'd have had 4 D looking for and deserving top pairing minutes. Hall, Vukojevic, Vallati and Anderson. Someone wasn't going to be happy.

Anderson and the Bruins likely had to be given icetime guarantees.

I suppose it made better sense to do the deals that happened today and bring in a D who would rate below our remaining top three and play him in the 4th or 5th slot AND put a couple second rounders in the bank.

If Anderson reports, Hall stays healthy, and McPherson and York have good seasons, are we a worse team without Vallati? Probably not.

Reactions: BogeyJ

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Ward, those two 2nds could go towards adding some of the offence we lost to graduation or towards the push to contend in 2019-20.

I just hope Hall has a healthy season and Anderson reports. But going into 2019-20, should Anderson not be here, Vallati sure would be missed.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
The Kitchener Rangers announced today they have acquired defenceman Justin MacPherson from the Niagara IceDogs.
In exchange, the IceDogs will receive:
  • 3rd round pick (WSR) in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection
  • 3rd round pick (KIT) in 2022 and
  • Conditional 5th round pick (KIT) in 2023
The 18-year-old, Richmond Hill, ON native is entering his third Ontario Hockey League season in 2018-19 after being selected by the IceDogs in the 4th round, 73rd overall in the 2016 OHL Priority Selection.
In 120 career regular season and playoff games, MacPherson has registered three goals and 24 assists for 27 points, including 17 assists in 66 regular season games in 2017-18.
He spent his minor midget season as a member of the OMHA’s York Simcoe Express, potting four goals and 27 points in 33 games. His three assists in the OHL Cup played a contributing factor to the Express’ tournament championship, and he was selected as a tournament All-Star.
“We are very happy to add a player of Justin’s quality to our team,” said general manager Mike McKenzie. “His work ethic and talent will make for a great fit here. We’re pleased to welcome Justin and his family to the Rangers.”
Justin MacPherson (mack-FUR-sin)
Hometown: Richmond Hill, ON
Birthdate: June 23, 2000
Height: 6’1”
Weight: 171
Position: D
Shoots: L

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
So I guess that's Vallati for Macpherson and 2 2nds.. I realize it's been said but this is definately a head scratcher... maybe MM has a crystal ball after all. That's the only explanation I see here.

Last edited:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Maybe he wanted out but who knows!
What I do know is that this is slightly less of a lateral move and the Rangers are coming out 2 2nd round draft picks in the good. Plus I suspect McPherson has a stronger possibility of being an OA than Vallati! Like most stay at home defencemen a McPherson type always flies under the radar for most fans and we dont really appreciate their value.
At least now we won't here Dave Schneider struggle with Vallati and Valade over the PA! :)
I agree. Stay at home defensemen are one of my favourite types of players. They seem to be throw backs to another age in hockey. I have faith in MM that he did the right thing going forward and as you said he did pick up those 2nds. I liked Vallati as a player here. He seemed to be progressing nicely. Wish him the best and welcome young McPherson to the fold.

Reactions: aresknights

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
With this secondary move, I understand it more. You get a shutdown guy and two 2nds for a mobility D, both the same age.

I still wonder if Gio wanted out. Or even if there is still something else in the works.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
With this secondary move, I understand it more. You get a shutdown guy and two 2nds for a mobility D, both the same age.

I still wonder if Gio wanted out. Or even if there is still something else in the works.

Likely going to get 3 years out of Justin as well where Gio likely graduates after next season.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
I

I don't think he wanted out. The more I think and read about it, it just sounds like a good old couple of hockey trades. The idea of getting Axel is extremely attractive and with Vallati being all but behind Vuko now in the pecking order when realistically he should get top minutes this year and likely will in the Shwa makes the trades make a little more sense.

What are your thoughts about OS picking up Torchia on the cheap? Wonder if we were ever in on those talks..

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
I like the trades personally in a year where they're likely not going on a run. they end up getting 2 2nds (trading hot bed), and a bit of a downgrade in a strong d-core with a guy who is more likely be around if this team goes on a run in 2021

Reactions: Torgo

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I

I don't think he wanted out. The more I think and read about it, it just sounds like a good old couple of hockey trades. The idea of getting Axel is extremely attractive and with Vallati being all but behind Vuko now in the pecking order when realistically he should get top minutes this year and likely will in the Shwa makes the trades make a little more sense.

What are your thoughts about OS picking up Torchia on the cheap? Wonder if we were ever in on those talks..

I just thought in the back of my mind that there would be a bit of a sell off at the deadline, all depending on who is healthy. So I didn't really see Gio as part of the sell off. So it just raised the question of IF he wanted out.

I think OS did good in the deal and were needing a goalie.

I don't think we were in the market yet for a goalie. I think we need to sort out the signed goalies and prospects we currently have. This isn't going to be a contending year so good to try and develop and figure it out.

Just sucks to see a Torchia in an Attack Jersey though.

Rangerette

Feb 24, 2013
I may be in the minority but I'm not seeing what all of the fuss is about with our D going into this year. Sure we have a ton of potential but with Villati gone (head scratcher), Hall being as fragile as they come and likely not surviving a full year unscathed, Gentles/York being serviceable but not top 4 and Sebrango being 16, we really have Vuk the stud as a guarantee and the rest are question marks. Lots would have to fall in place IMHO. Now if Andersson truly does show up then I will change my tune. Vuk and Andersson on the first PP would be lethal. Anyway, I certainly don't claim to be as knowledgeable as many on this board when it comes to the various players/prospects but this is kinda how I see it.

That being said, MM is becoming a shrewd dealer. Tons of chatter about building a package for Will Cuylle, which would be a coup. I continue to trust the 'long game' but my first reaction when hearing about the Villati trade was 'well, I guess we are not really trying to compete this year'. I hate feeling like that in August! :(

I'm rooting for MM to get Cuylle. Or as we say in Ranger Nation: 'anywhere but London'! ;)

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Some really good points made by posters in this Vallati/MacPherson discussion.

I think MM is putting a couple of pieces together. I also think the work Michael Zsoldt, the Analytics and Stats Director for the Rangers is being put to good use. I think that will be the case with MacPherson. Zsoldt can see things that maybe others don't. I expect Justin to be a good fit here.

I loved Giovanni's play. He's a NHLer for sure. Never any issues with him. He'll be a great add for the Gens.

MM made some terrific trades last year, especially when you look at the big picture. I agree with other posters who feel he is putting pieces together for other moves.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
If we add a fantastic 16 year old like Cuylle, then I’ll understand these trades. Until then, I’m not loving it as Vallati was a first rounder and probably could return more later this year after some time as a #1 or #2

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If we add a fantastic 16 year old like Cuylle, then I’ll understand these trades. Until then, I’m not loving it as Vallati was a first rounder and probably could return more later this year after some time as a #1 or #2

If MM's endgame is to bring the Cuylle kid in, then I understand the trades.

But I'm expecting this team took intend in 2019-20. For that to happen, we need to have a strong group of veterans on that team. Vallati would have been one of those front line veterans. If Anderson reports, there is no guarantee that he comes back for a second season in Kitchener. With that in mind, it's a gamble hoping he plays a second season in Kitchener. Otherwise, we will miss Vallati big-time. Also, it's a longshot but there is a chance that Vukojevic graduates to the show after his draft year. Then where is our defense??

By using some of the assets that came our way in the Vallati trade to acquire a 16-year-old, if that happens, (and is that just speculation on this board or are there actual rumblings that the Rangers are after this kid?), that tells me that MacKenzie may not be all in for the 19-20 season. Unless of course this kid, and our other 16-year-old players, turn into bigtime contributors in their second season.

If Langdon, Valade, Sebrango and if acquired, Cuylle, are able to provide the same contribution that second-year player Riley Damiani did for this team last spring, then 19-20 could be an exciting year!

Reactions: Gondrex and bobber
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad