Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
He's an OA though so that'll limit the # of teams wanting him. He's also said he wants to stay close to home (from Michigan). Didn't even make the Q until his 3rd eligible season. Was a nothing player until he broke out last year. Is he a new player now or was that just one good year..?
In the article posted, it was noted that he broke his femur which limited his games the prior to his breakout. Scouting reports are favourable. And Kitchener should have an OA spot open.....and could look at him. Also, Michigan is only hours away from KW. Who knows?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Saw on twitter Vallati traded to Oshawa? I must be dreaming!
The Kitchener Rangers announced today they have traded defenceman Giovanni Vallati to the Oshawa Generals.
In exchange, the Rangers will receive:
  • 2nd round pick (OSH) in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection
  • 2nd round pick (GUE) in 2020
  • 3rd round pick (OSH) in 2022 and
  • 3rd round pick (OSH) in 2023

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Now I am a little confused by the move. The team returns one of the best defense groups in the league so I get some one had to go, but why Giovanni? I get the high return but Giovanni was likely going to patrol the top D pair for the next 2 seasons here.

None the less, wish him well.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't get it either. Vallati was outstanding this year and flirting with elite the second half. And he has two years left and was a lynch pin in a good young D.

Have to wonder if there were off ice reasons/requests? Totally speculating but it's bizarre.

Good picks back I suppose.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
As much of a suprise this is, I do like the "long game" that MacKenzie is playing here.
Sometimes you needs to take a step back to make a giant step forward! A contender is built with multiple
2nd and 3rd picks in a series of drafts!
Also compiling of picks could also be part of a trade to bring other player(s) in???
Isn't the Pete's first rounder still not reporting to them and is still available? The Rangers do have a 16 yr old slot still open!

Reactions: K2 and Torgo

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I don't get it either. Vallati was outstanding this year and flirting with elite the second half. And he has two years left and was a lynch pin in a good young D.

Have to wonder if there were off ice reasons/requests? Totally speculating but it's bizarre.

Good picks back I suppose.

I suppose this could mean the import is coming. I would have preferred a young player but the return is good.

I’ll miss Giovanni, I actually own his warmup jersey from his rookie year

Reactions: Tim Wallach
Mar 12, 2009
Count me in as being surprised and a bit confused by this trade. Return is good, but he'd be an important piece if we are competitive next year...if we aren't, the return would still be decent (even if less) if we traded him next season.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I’m lost on this one. Even if this is making room for the Bruins prospect I only see him here a year and then gone to the AHL. Valliti would forsure be here this year and next. We are going to have to give up this price tag for a rental D next year if we are going to try and compete which I thought looking at this roster was the goal. I’m hold my judgement till I see a reason or trade that makes sense after this one as to why he was traded. MM has done nothing wrong yet but this is by far his most confusing trade.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
As a Generals fan, can I get a fans perpective of what the Generals are getting here? Big picks going your way. I think Oshawa will be strong this year. Not sure if championship strong though.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Didn't see that coming!! So can the announcement about Axel Andersson coming to the Rangers be far behind? Bruins would want big minutes and perhaps that wasn't in the best interests of Vallati? MM has shown loyalty to players that way....if he knows they're not going to get to play like they should be, he'll try to move them somewhere that they will. And I agree with my fellow posters.......more to come....this is all for a reason....no doubt. Still a shock...

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
MM has been great since taking over imo. I don't think he's done yet. Put me down in the surprised by this trade column but also but me down in the trust in MM column. We need forwards.. I'm sure he has something up his sleeve. Good luck to GV. He will do well in Oshawa for sure, hopefully he gets more PP time. He's a great unselfish defender who plays responsibly physical as well with great gap control.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
As a Generals fan, can I get a fans perpective of what the Generals are getting here? Big picks going your way. I think Oshawa will be strong this year. Not sure if championship strong though.

Ill say this, he gets you a lot closer to a championship this year.

He's going to jump into your top 4 right away and likely QB on the PP in no time!

Reactions: gensfan2k2

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
As much of a suprise this is, I do like the "long game" that MacKenzie is playing here.
Sometimes you needs to take a step back to make a giant step forward! A contender is built with multiple
2nd and 3rd picks in a series of drafts!
Also compiling of picks could also be part of a trade to bring other player(s) in???
Isn't the Pete's first rounder still not reporting to them and is still available? The Rangers do have a 16 yr old slot still open!

Will Cuylie....6'1" 201lbs......16.......Toronto Marlboros Mn Mdgt AAA “A” GTMMHL 43gp 33g 29a 62 tp

good article below.....a paragraph from it " That was not the scenario with Cuylle. It apparently was common knowledge that he would consider the OHL if the team or teams of his choosing drafted him or traded for him. The OHL allow teams to trade their first-round selection during a short window of days just prior to the opening of training camps in August."

Will Cuylle should have to sit out Ontario Hockey League season if he doesn’t report to Peterborough Petes

It's August............

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I suppose this could mean the import is coming.
There was a conversation in the closed thread about promised icetime to get draft picks signed.
I think it's safe to say that to lure Vukojevic and Serbrango here some sort of conversations took place regarding this matter.
This probably happened a few years ago also with Vallati. To get Anderson under assigned here the Bruins will be looking for some sort
of agreement also.
This trade may just be getting the players their quality icetime.
( I do hate promised icetime but this seems to be the nature of beast in the OHL to get quality players)

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
upload_2018-8-17_12-10-50.png

Reactions: K2 and Ward Cornell

Scooter44

Jan 15, 2016
Didn't see that coming!! So can the announcement about Axel Andersson coming to the Rangers be far behind? Bruins would want big minutes and perhaps that wasn't in the best interests of Vallati? MM has shown loyalty to players that way....if he knows they're not going to get to play like they should be, he'll try to move them somewhere that they will. And I agree with my fellow posters.......more to come....this is all for a reason....no doubt. Still a shock...
Yes I agree that MM has shown loyalty to his players over his brief tenure. Cole Carter is an example of MM realizing the kid would get more icetime elsewhere- they certainly could have used him during last year’s playoffs though IMO.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Looking at the draft data base thread. Rangers will lose the second round pick in 2020 to Guelph(Giovanni Smith) if it is returned by Barrie re: the Tortora trade. Going forward all this trade could mean is MM being proactive and is acquiring picks to fill holes that are missing over the next four years or so. It could also mean he already has something cooking and has to acquire the assets necessary to complete a trade. Who knows?

Jives

Jan 6, 2018

A very solid all round D man. Very smart player. Will have a great next 2 years. As a Ranger fan I don’t like the trade.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON
Too bad, I really enjoyed watching Vallati play and develop.

I'm putting my money on a followup move coming. Good GMs don't make trades like this just for the heck of it.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Good Luck to Gio!! Enjoyed watching you develop here.

My take on the trade....value is decent. We are doing one of a few things:
1) Making room for Axel Andersson as we may have received some sort of commitment
2) Giving Gio a trade for more ice time. Maybe Gio made a request for more minutes.
3) or needed the draft picks for a future move.

Either way, MM has done very well with drafting, recruiting and trades to this point.

Reactions: Scooter44
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad