Kitchener Rangers 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm not sure what we can expect in terms of Ranger news, at least not in the near term. If this team continues to play like it has so far MM might have some decisions to make. But what else is there to do at this point? Depending on Hall's status there might even still be an open OA spot on this team.

We're going to learn a lot about this team in October. Three games every week.

I believe Ward was hoping for news on Andersson as Brown reported it would come within 24-48 hours and that is pretty much up.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Sorry, I didn’t mean that to sound the way that it probably did (sort of an easy thing to do on a message board). I just can’t understand how these scouts saw what we did and came to a “C” conclusion. Anyway, no more from me on this. You’re right, this list will probably look a lot different 6-8 months from now.

Oh its cool man! lol.

PS Rangers Fans. Wrote something today.

Greg made my list. Five Ontario Hockey League Players Who Deserve To Be On The NHL’s Radar

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Brown in the Record this morning. No Axel. Joey's back on the D because..........? Not even 3 games in. Brown says that a trade or a signing is imminent. Stay tuned.....

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Brown in the Record this morning. No Axel. Joey's back on the D because..........? Not even 3 games in. Brown says that a trade or a signing is imminent. Stay tuned.....
If a trade is imminent, my guess is that a D must be on the way out and they have Garreffa back there to fill in. The signing rumour has me intrigued......just a shot in the dark here. Maybe 3rd rounder Declan McDonnell??

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
I don't even care if it's because they're getting Bunnaman back. Putting Garreffa back on D is ridiculous. I know he's not a future NHLer but they could be costing him a shot at a pro contract on some level by screwing up his development like this. It's impressive he plays both positions well, but pro teams aren't looking for someone that can play both. I think he's the ultimate team-guy so he'll never say no when coaching and management asks something of him. I almost feel like his good attitude is being taken advantage of. Maybe the plan is just play D for the weekend until Hall comes back. But what happens if/when Hall gets hurt again?

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
I don't even care if it's because they're getting Bunnaman back. Putting Garreffa back on D is ridiculous. I know he's not a future NHLer but they could be costing him a shot at a pro contract on some level by screwing up his development like this. It's impressive he plays both positions well, but pro teams aren't looking for someone that can play both. I think he's the ultimate team-guy so he'll never say no when coaching and management asks something of him. I almost feel like his good attitude is being taken advantage of. Maybe the plan is just play D for the weekend until Hall comes back. But what happens if/when Hall gets hurt again?
Well you don't know that and maybe he likes D more.

hedgeway

Jan 1, 2010
Waterloo, ON

Also, the team isn't in the business of putting guys in positions to get pro contracts, they're in the business of winning in the OHL. A lot of times those two things will align, but sometimes they won't. Tough luck.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I used to be totally against Joey on D as I thought he struggled mightily to contain men and wandered too much into no man's land.

That changed a bit for me in last year's playoffs. He was great back there and honestly is less effective on forward now in some ways.

My only caveat is that the team lacks scoring punch up front, so I hope someone is indeed on his way to help.

Reactions: Torgo

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
I don’t want Joey on D simply because we need to give the guys we have back there an opportunity to play meaningful minutes.

Sorry to say, but we shouldn’t be adding to this team for a run this year. Need to think longer term

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Exactly Ranger Nation. I don't think anyone is talking about mortgaging future. I think we're talking about unearthing another import signing, finding an NCAA guy, etc.

Just a boost to a bit of a thin scoring group. Even though it's a young team you still have 68 games to play and create a competitive culture for those kids.

Reactions: Torgo
Mar 12, 2009
I used to be totally against Joey on D as I thought he struggled mightily to contain men and wandered too much into no man's land.

That changed a bit for me in last year's playoffs. He was great back there and honestly is less effective on forward now in some ways.

My only caveat is that the team lacks scoring punch up front, so I hope someone is indeed on his way to help.
This is sums up what I was going to say. I would only add that wherever they are going to play him, I would like to see him play that position consistently this season. I'm not sure flopping him back and forth gets the best use out of him.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
Then keep him there. Going back and forth doesn't help him.
And I disagree with the comment that the point of all of this is to win OHL games, not develop the kids. Especially in a season where we lost so many veterans. But that's a whole other argument.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I posted this a month ago:

I walked away after watching the first two games versus Moncton and Saginaw thinking that Garreffa may be better utilized on the blueline. As a veteran, I just didn't see dominance in his game up front. Sure he played his usual game but I thought he ran into roadblocks more often than not playing forward. IMO, he didn't look effective to me. I thought he looked to get knocked off the puck easily. Sure he avoids contact but as a veteran who will see the top opponents this year, he will be caught up to or tracked down a lot easier than he has been in the past. I fear he'll not fare well in the opposition zone along the boards. As a D, I think he would avoid contact much more easily. It's hard to argue how he played in last year's post season on the blueline.

I have been railing against this coaching staff on here that he should be playing forward and ripping the coaching staff when he's put back on the blueline, but a combination of his play this weekend as a forward, his play in the last post season on D, and the fact he's been invited to NHL camps always as a d-man has me thinking that maybe he belongs on the blueline after all.

I posted this one month ago today. I still stand by it. I would not be surprised if Joey approached the team and expressed a wish to play on the blue line and stay on the blue line permanently. As I said before, every NHL rookie camp invitation that Joey has been offered has been as a D.

Sure, this team needs to win games, but just as important is developing players to be pro players. If we want to be successful in recruiting players, we can't dismiss preparing players for the pro ranks.

Joey is at a point in his career now where he has to look towards life after playing in Kitchener. If he believes his best chance at making money as a hockey player is as a D-man, then I believe that the Rangers have a responsibility to, at the very least, entertain his wishes. He has proved he can play defense. He was incredible in the postseason on the blue line last year. Sure, he has trouble and his own zone containing players physically. But so did a guy like Ryan Murphy. And Steve Spott always said he would live with the negatives in Murphy's game when you consider what he brought to the team offensively. I'm not comparing Garreffa to Murphy, but the same can be said about him as a defenseman. The positive's he brought last post season far outweighed the negatives with him as a D.

However, should he be moved back to the blue line permanently, I agree he should not take ice time away from our young players. We are not in a contending year and these players need to develop. So, if Garreffa is to play on the blue line permanently, that means we make room for him by moving out a vet. I've said on here before that we have no business going with two overage D in a rebuilding year. Also, there is mention today of us going after a forward. I am in favour of replacing Joey as a forward with a younger, higher-end player up front, import or not. But if that player needs to be an OA that can come on the cheap and provide some offense, well that's fine.

The bottom line is, the team has to consider Joey's wishes. Also, not lost on me is the fact that he would be an excellent overager next year. The last thing we need to do is tell him, if he does want to play defense, it's "too bad so sad" but we're going to play you as a forward. The last thing we need to do, is give him a reason to not want to come back next year as an OA.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
I think people forget that Joey was invited to NHL camps as a defensemen not a forward. So obviously those who may be interested pro wise see him there. For all we know a team who may be interested in him asked that he play defense this year to increase his chance at getting signed.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The pro game has changed drastically. The key requirement used to be size. Now it is speed, followed by puck movement, agility and an active stick to defend. Joey checks more of these boxes than he every would have before.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I like the move. He's in his last season, will likely be in the AHL next season but he's someone who will improve the Power Play and top 6 group. Also over 6' tall lol.

Nearly a point per game while with barrie last year before the trade so expecting that this year isn't out of the question

Kenny Chu

Aug 19, 2018
The pro game has changed drastically. The key requirement used to be size. Now it is speed, followed by puck movement, agility and an active stick to defend. Joey checks more of these boxes than he every would have before.
Well he has some assets on D but also some negatives. The biggest negative is shying away from the physicality, that's not tolerated in the pro ranks. He does have the skating and very good edges. The only way to fined out is give him the chance, lets see.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Alexei Lipanov NOV 2015 WHC Under 17

The trade to Sudbury didn't sit well.....but Kitchener should be more to his liking. Nice pick up.

upload_2018-10-4_16-50-35.png

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I like the player pickup, but I still think it’s a waste to use 2 3rds on this guy when he won’t be here past this season.

Just my thoughts
This just might be part 1 of a cpl trades to recoup those picks. Rangers have surplus now on D with Garreffa there and Hall back next week plus Petizian coming back at F. Not sure if you want Gordon sitting out in his second yr.....soooo.....

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This just might be part 1 of a cpl trades to recoup those picks. Rangers have surplus now on D with Garreffa there and Hall back next week plus Petizian coming back at F. Not sure if you want Gordon sitting out in his second yr.....soooo.....

Nice pickup. Just wish he were a year younger because we aren't set to contend this year. Also, (you've heard this from me before), we again have two imports who'll graduate at the same time. That means going into next summer's import draft looking for two players.

I can see a guy like Gentles moved to make way for Joey on defense. That means we will still have 13 forwards. That's a good number. I don't expect a guy like Gordon to miss a lot of games because we will no doubt have injuries from time to time over the course of the season. He'll get his minutes.

Reactions: SYWTom

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
That is a fun player to acquire. While I still don't think this team will challenge for the cup, MM sure is making it interesting. Can't wait to see Petizian and Hall injected into this lineup now that Lipanov is in and Joey is shifted back to D.

Geez, if Richardson continues to play like he has and the offence continues to score, maybe they do go for it, but in the most non aggressive approach ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad