Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
Don't be surprised. Where do you see him slotting in at the pro level? He is a liability in his own end at the junior level. How does that translate when everyone he plays against at the next stop is a well above average player he faces today. And his skating will make it a challenge for him to produce against better competition. So if FLA doesn't see him in a top 6 role, what does he have to offer as a third or fourth liner?

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
Torgo is correct. Mascherin would never play an OA year in the OHL. Kid played on a team this season with really no support , mediocre coaching at best , poor goaltending for the most part and no defense yet comes up with a 100 points. Even Dabrincat has flaws but they are covered up by skilled players on his team. When fans start stabbing the best player on the team in the back after the season he had they don't deserve a winner here. Every player on this team was a minus. That is the way it is at the bottom of the barrel. I guess they should trade away all the vets so we can all watch grass grow next season again. I can hardly wait. Also hope they draft a bunch of munchkins next Saturday. No wonder players get pissed off and want to be moved.

So when Don Cherry calls,them sweethearts, as you referenced in an earlier post, you buy it. But when we question a Ranger's heart, we are backstabbers? We do deserve a winner here, but as grapes says it, that won't happen with a bunch of sweethearts. And if your best player is soft.....Munchkins are what we don't need, but seems to be the philosophy of management lately.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Heard a rumour that the Rangers were going to deal for a huge vet Dman for next season. It came from a person extremely tied to the team at the last home game. Player's name will remain in the vault because these things have a way to fizzle out. Hopefully it materializes in the off season.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Don't be surprised. Where do you see him slotting in at the pro level? He is a liability in his own end at the junior level. How does that translate when everyone he plays against at the next stop is a well above average player he faces today. And his skating will make it a challenge for him to produce against better competition. So if FLA doesn't see him in a top 6 role, what does he have to offer as a third or fourth liner?

Mascherin is a pure shooter as it gets. This year he showed playmaking ability that few people saw coming. He absolutely fits as a top 6 forward in the NHL, especially if his defense improves even marginally. Worse case scenario he's sent to the AHL to work on his complete game. Barring an utter disaster there is no way he's back as an OA.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
Mascherin is a pure shooter as it gets. This year he showed playmaking ability that few people saw coming. He absolutely fits as a top 6 forward in the NHL, especially if his defense improves even marginally. Worse case scenario he's sent to the AHL to work on his complete game. Barring an utter disaster there is no way he's back as an OA.

Mikkel Boedker was a pure shooter as well. But without his speed that he brings to the table, he doesn't end up where he is at this point in his career. Spent his first few seasons in AZ on the third line and killing penalties. I have nothing against 23 as a kid, just don't see his skillset being transferable to the next level. I hope, for his sake I am wrong.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Mascherin really frustrated me as the season went on. Partly his poor defensive play, which never seemed to improved and partly he seemed to be looking more to pass first and shoot second, this with one of the best shots in the league. After Bracco left he only managed about 13 goals, 22 while Bracco was here. Some of that may be lack of quality chances or may be it was a lack of confidence in his shot.

He could be a good player at the next level if he ever sorts out his own end and I hope he will, but please do it in the summer so the Rangers can see the best of him next season.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Mascherin is the 8th ranked prospect in Florida.

Spinner

Nov 25, 2015
Heard a rumour that the Rangers were going to deal for a huge vet Dman for next season. It came from a person extremely tied to the team at the last home game. Player's name will remain in the vault because these things have a way to fizzle out. Hopefully it materializes in the off season.

When I hear 'huge' dman Nic Hague and Logan Stanley immediately come to mind. Would love to see Nic Hague in his hometown Jersey

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
When I hear 'huge' dman Nic Hague and Logan Stanley immediately come to mind. Would love to see Nic Hague in his hometown Jersey
I'll play along......Stanley and another player and +++ will be coming to the Rangers for a cpl 2nd rounders in and around 2023 and 2024? :)

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Source was a game on tv the other eve.

Thanks. Have to take reports with a grain of salt. Have to include defenseman and goalies in that #8 ranking, as well as take into account when the report was released. I think most would agree Mascherin took a big step forward offensively this season, although many would also argue that his complete game hasn't progressed satisfactorily.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Thanks. Have to take reports with a grain of salt. Have to include defenseman and goalies in that #8 ranking, as well as take into account when the report was released. I think most would agree Mascherin took a big step forward offensively this season, although many would also argue that his complete game hasn't progressed satisfactorily.

I heard one of the talking heads on the tube say where Mascherin was ranked. Reading scouting reports about him the Panthers were concerned about him being over weight hence the reason he lost some to start this last season. He is young and still not playing the complete game required to make pro. One report said he was two years away. It's not often you see OHL players dominate opponents individually. Skinner seemed to do that in his last year. He was a very deceiving skater. Mascherin needs to round off his game. It's not an easy chore in a "run and gun" Rangers system with no defense. Bunnaman has the pro size but lacks in the physical part of the game. The same person that mentioned the Rangers were looking at a vet D said Mascherin was playing with some sort of injury in the play offs. I think most fans can see the flaws in most players after watching them play so many games. Personally I think if the Rangers fail to change their identity next season to a more aggressive style at home we will likely give up our seats.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I heard one of the talking heads on the tube say where Mascherin was ranked. Reading scouting reports about him the Panthers were concerned about him being over weight hence the reason he lost some to start this last season. He is young and still not playing the complete game required to make pro. One report said he was two years away. It's not often you see OHL players dominate opponents individually. Skinner seemed to do that in his last year. He was a very deceiving skater. Mascherin needs to round off his game. It's not an easy chore in a "run and gun" Rangers system with no defense. Bunnaman has the pro size but lacks in the physical part of the game. The same person that mentioned the Rangers were looking at a vet D said Mascherin was playing with some sort of injury in the play offs. I think most fans can see the flaws in most players after watching them play so many games. Personally I think if the Rangers fail to change their identity next season to a more aggressive style at home we will likely give up our seats.

Good analysis bobber. Very few players have the complete game to take them directly to the NHL. Also agree with your comment about the rangers style of play being boring. You said it was run and gun. I'd call it more gun - they skate fast but their puck movement usually leaves a lot to be desired imo. It's not only them. I'd say about 2/3 of OHL teams fall into that category. Tough to watch week in week out when 2 such teams clash.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I agree completely with every poster that said we need to gain an identity. Since DeBoer left, we have had none. All good teams have one. Are we a speed team, a physical team, etc. But more importantly, individual players need to know their roles. We have been a non-descript entity for a decade now.

It starts with accountability. We need a hell of a lot more of it here if we're going to take the next step.

Oh, and there is less than a 0% chance Mascherin plays his OA year. ;)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Last nights award winner with my picks in bold!
Best playoff performer: Dylan Di Perna (DiPerna but Opilka right there with him)
Three-star award: Adam Mascherin yeah
Best defensive ability: Frank Hora (yeah...by default, not the best of seasons runner up: Llewellyn)
Most popular player: Jake Henderson really??....I would say Garreffa
Outstanding team effort: Darby Llewellyn
Best offensive defenceman: Dylan Di Perna (yeah)
Most improved player: Joseph Garreffa (yeah)
Humanitarian award: Dylan Di Perna (no idea)
Rookie of the year: Greg Meireles (hands down....Vallati)
Team scoring leader: Adam Mascherin
Most gentlemanly player: Connor Bunnaman (unfortunately this is one player that shouldn't win this award, he should be far more physical....Winner: Garreffa, even though this is an ackward award to win for hockey player!!)
Most valuable player: Adam Mascherin (yeah)
Best dressed (contest voted by fans): Jonathan Yantsis ummmm who cares!

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Last nights award winner with my picks in bold!
Best playoff performer: Dylan Di Perna (DiPerna but Opilka right there with him)
Three-star award: Adam Mascherin yeah
Best defensive ability: Frank Hora (yeah...by default, not the best of seasons runner up: Llewellyn)
Most popular player: Jake Henderson really??....I would say Garreffa
Outstanding team effort: Darby Llewellyn
Best offensive defenceman: Dylan Di Perna (yeah)
Most improved player: Joseph Garreffa (yeah)
Humanitarian award: Dylan Di Perna (no idea)
Rookie of the year: Greg Meireles (hands down....Vallati)
Team scoring leader: Adam Mascherin
Most gentlemanly player: Connor Bunnaman (unfortunately this is one player that shouldn't win this award, he should be far more physical....Winner: Garreffa, even though this is an ackward award to win for hockey player!!)
Most valuable player: Adam Mascherin (yeah)
Best dressed (contest voted by fans): Jonathan Yantsis ummmm who cares!

Ward, I agree with your picks - particularly Vallati. Being a D at 16 is much harder than being a forward at 17 in this league. I thought he was the rookie of the year for sure.

No clue about most popular on the team. I do think Joey gets massively over-rated in fan circles because most little guys do and people tend to forgive the downside more, but in the room, I have no idea.

And gentlemanly... I'd probably say Mascherin. But he won enough other awards and I'd rather he was less gentlemanly. :)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Ward, I agree with your picks - particularly Vallati. Being a D at 16 is much harder than being a forward at 17 in this league. I thought he was the rookie of the year for sure.

No clue about most popular on the team. I do think Joey gets massively over-rated in fan circles because most little guys do and people tend to forgive the downside more, but in the room, I have no idea.

And gentlemanly... I'd probably say Mascherin. But he won enough other awards and I'd rather he was less gentlemanly. :)

I thought most popular was fanbased....is this award from within the dressing room?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

Agree as well. I had Meireles a distant second for ROTY.

I agree with DiPerna as offensive d-man. However, he has to have played the least amount of PP minutes in the history of all winners in this category. Our coaching staff going with 5 forwards on the 1st PP unit much of the year bugged the heck out of me. DiPerna was just fine on that unit early in the season and should have stayed there.

Then once the injuries to the D hit hard late in the season and into the playoffs, PP's became a time to give DiPerna some rest! Could have used him on the PP more in the post season. Joey was a bag of tricks back there. Caused two shorties in two games and the one that put OS up 3-1 was the back breaker that game. If you're going to play a forward on the PP, he better have the wheels to get back when you gift the opposition a turnover at the blue line. Joey does not.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Personally I think if the Rangers fail to change their identity next season to a more aggressive style at home we will likely give up our seats.
Regardless this coming season will be my last season as STH or attendee ummmm since 1968! (Globe and Mail paper route money)
Only break as Ranger attendee as a STH or a "pay as you go" was when I live in Yellowknife.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I thought most popular was fanbased....is this award from within the dressing room?

This from Brown's article in today's Record:

"Rugged winger Jake Henderson got the nod as the fan favourite with the most popular player award"

I don't see how a most popular player award as the fan favorite can be voted on by the players in the room.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
This from Brown's article in today's Record:

"Rugged winger Jake Henderson got the nod as the fan favourite with the most popular player award"

I don't see how a most popular player award as the fan favorite can be voted on by the players in the room.

I thought it was announced last night as most popular with his team mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad