Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Originally posted by ScoresfromCenter:

The Draft Pick Database now has a (mostly) complete index of league-wide trades for the past two seasons. (I'm working on putting together data for further back, but it's not a priority at the moment.) The Rangers maintain their own comprehensive list of transactions, as well.

I scraped together Hiebert's trade history about a month ago for the purposes of doing exactly the kind of analysis you just performed, though I never had time to do it myself. Here's the full list if you're looking to fill in the blanks:

2013-2014 SEASON

9/18/13 – TRADE with Oshawa Generals: Josh Sterk

Rangers acquire:

OSH 4th 2014 (cond.)
OSH 6th 2015

Generals acquire:

Josh Sterk

10/16/13 – TRADE with Niagara IceDogs: Eric Ming

Rangers acquire:

ER 4th 2015
NIA 9th 2014

IceDogs acquire:

Eric Ming

10/30/13 – TRADE with Sudbury Wolves: Jack Moylan

Rangers acquire:

SBY 15th 2014

Wolves acquire:

Jack Moylan

11/20/13 – TRADE with London Knights: Paxton Leroux

Rangers acquire:

Paxton Leroux

Knights acquire:

KIT 5th 2015

11/20/13 – TRADE with Kingston Frontenacs: Evan McEneny – Dylan Di Perna

Rangers acquire:

Dylan Di Perna
KGN 2nd 2015

Frontenacs acquire:

Even McEneny

11/20/13 – TRADE with North Bay Battalion: Ben Thomson – Brandon Robinson

Rangers acquire:

Brandon Robinson

Battalion acquire:

Ben Thomson
KIT 4th 2017

1/9/14 – TRADE with Sudbury Wolves: Radek Faksa – Dominik Kubalik

Rangers acquire:

Dominik Kubalik
SBY 2nd 2014
SAR 2nd 2016

Wolves acquire:

Radek Faksa

1/10/14 – TRADE with Belleville Bulls: Hayden Lavigne

Rangers acquire:

Hayden Lavigne

Bulls acquire:

SBY 15th 2014
KIT 5th 2016 (cond.)

2014 PRE-DRAFT PERIOD

4/4/14 – TRADE with Oshawa Generals

Rangers acquire:

OSH 8th 2015

Generals acquire:

NIA 9th 2014

2014 OFF-SEASON

8/22/14 – TRADE with Barrie Colts: Liam Maaskant

Rangers acquire:

Liam Maaskant

Colts acquire:

SBY 6th 2015

2014-2015 SEASON

9/30/14 – TRADE with Mississauga Steelheads: Dawson Carty

Rangers acquire:

Dawson Carty

Steelheads acquire:

OSH 8th 2015

9/30/14 – TRADE with Barrie Colts: Jordan DeKort

Rangers acquire:

BAR 10th 2017

Colts acquire:

Jordan DeKort

11/20/14 – TRADE with Mississauga Steelheads: Thomas Welsh

Rangers acquire:

Thomas Welsh

Steelheads acquire:

KIT 9th 2016

12/30/14 – TRADE with Oshawa Generals: Brent Pedersen

Rangers acquire:

OSH 2nd 2017
OSH 2nd 2018
OSH 3rd 2016
OSH 3rd 2017 (cond.)
OSH 4th 2018 (cond.)

Generals acquire:

Brent Pedersen

1/6/15 – TRADE with Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds: Justin Bailey - David Miller

Rangers acquire:

David Miller
SSM 2nd 2016
SSM 2nd 2018
PLY 3rd 2015
SSM 3rd 2018 (cond.)

Greyhounds acquire:

Justin Bailey

1/8/15 – TRADE with Ottawa 67’s: Curtis Meighan

Rangers acquire:

OTT 8th 2017

67’s acquire:

Curtis Meighan

1/8/15 – TRADE with Saginaw Spirit: Jake Paterson

Rangers acquire:

Jake Paterson

Spirit acquire:

KIT 2nd 2018
KIT 3rd 2017

2015 OFF-SEASON

6/18/15 – TRADE with Niagara IceDogs: Brian Brosnan

Rangers acquire:

Brian Brosnan

IceDogs acquire:

KIT 4th 2016
KIT 5th 2018

9/11/15 – TRADE with Barrie Colts: Jacob Tortora

Rangers acquire:

Rights to Jacob Tortora

Colts acquire:

KIT 15th 2016
KIT 2nd 2020 (cond.)
KIT 2nd 2021 (cond.)
KIT 2nd 2022 (cond.)

2015-2016 SEASON

11/10/15 – TRADE with Saginaw Spirit: Mike Davies

Rangers acquire:

SAG 2nd 2018
SAG 5th 2018
SAG 5th 2019 (cond.)

Spirit acquire:

Mike Davies

11/30/15 – TRADE with North Bay Battalion: Miles Liberati

Rangers acquire:

Miles Liberati

Battalion acquire:

OSH 2nd 2017
OSH 2nd 2018
KIT 3rd 2019
OTT 8th 2017

12/10/15 – TRADE with Oshawa Generals: Liam Devine

Rangers acquire:

Liam Devine

Generals acquire:

KIT 6th 2018

12/11/15 – TRADE with Oshawa Generals: Sean Allen

Rangers acquire:

SSM 3rd 2017
OSH 10th 2018

Generals acquire:

Sean Allen

11/11/16 – TRADE with Guelph Storm: Robby Fabbri

Rangers acquire:

Rights to Robby Fabbri

Storm acquire:

KIT 3rd 2020
SAG 2nd 2018 (cond.)
KIT 2nd 2019 (cond.)

2016 PRE-DRAFT PERIOD

4/7/16 – TRADE with Sudbury Wolves

Rangers acquire:

SBY 6th 2016
SBY 12th 2016

Wolves acquire:

SAG 5th 2018
OSH 10th 2018

2016-2017 SEASON

12/28/16 – TRADE with Hamilton Bulldogs: Dawson Carty

Rangers acquire:

KIT 5th 2018

Bulldogs acquire:

Dawson Carty

1/9/17 – TRADE with Mississauga Steelheads: Jacob Cascagnette

Rangers acquire:

MIS 3rd 2020
MIS 4th 2020 (cond.)

Steelheads acquire:

Jacob Cascagnette

1/9/17 – TRADE with Windsor Spitfires: Jeremy Bracco - Andrew Burns, Cole Carter

Rangers acquire:

Andrew Burns, Cole Carter
WSR 2nd 2023
WSR 2nd 2024
WSR 2nd 2025 (cond.)

Spitfires acquire:

Jeremy Bracco
KIT 8th 2017
KIT 13th 2018

1/10/17 – TRADE with Oshawa Generals: Mason Kohn

Rangers acquire:

KGN 2nd 2019
OSH 3rd 2021
KGN 3rd 2022 (cond.)

Generals acquire:

Mason Kohn

Thanks ScoresfromCenter for posting MH's total transaction package. Forgot more than I thought!!

Mach85:
I wasn't sure if Sterk actually demanded a trade, or was just unhappy at being moved from center and the team moved him in light of that. If he did officially demand a trade, then I suppose my reasoning for giving the Sean Allan deal a pass fits for this deal too.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The following from Josh Brown's blog:

- Other teams have been swirling around McKenzie all season and the Rangers wanted to lock him up before he went elsewhere.

This leads me to believe that MM was Steve B's GM of the future. Therefore, I'm of the opinion that MH's retirement from the GM position was "nudged along" by the team in order to get MM under contract as the GM long term.

MH may or may not have been planning on retiring at the end of next year, but now he'll do so anyway under a different title. Either MH wasn't actually planning to retire after next season but was given an ultimatum, or he actually did express a desire to retire after next year and agreed to the current situation.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

- Other teams have been swirling around McKenzie all season and the Rangers wanted to lock him up before he went elsewhere.

This leads me to believe that MM was Steve B's GM of the future. Therefore, I'm of the opinion that MH's retirement from the GM position was "nudged along" by the team in order to get MM under contract as the GM long term.

MH may or may not have been planning on retiring at the end of next year, but now he'll do so anyway under a different title. Either MH wasn't actually planning to retire after next season but was given an ultimatum, or he actually did express a desire to retire after next year and agreed to the current situation.

That may or not be true since that's usually the "speak" we hear at any promotion from within from all organisations!
The trades noted above I don't think was Hieberts weakness but putting together the right pieces to form "a team" was.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010

I'm thankful every day that we were able to promote Troy Smith. Especially after Paul Fixter got away.

I think anyone that even remotely follows the rangers realized MM was going to be the next GM one day. Let's just hope he brings a new dynamic.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I'm thankful every day that we were able to promote Troy Smith. Especially after Paul Fixter got away.

I think anyone that even remotely follows the rangers realized MM was going to be the next GM one day. Let's just hope he brings a new dynamic.
You got to give him 3 to 4 years to put his stamp on the team - remember that when some will be calling for removal next year - Rangers need a total rebuild from the ground up so give him time.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
You got to give him 3 to 4 years to put his stamp on the team - remember that when some will be calling for removal next year - Rangers need a total rebuild from the ground up so give him time.

I agree you have to give any GM 3 or 4 years to build a team. The Rangers are on their 3rd GM with zero experience in the big chair(even if other teams may have been after MM), but I would feel a lot happier with someone who had done the job before with some success. Still we have MM now and I am willing to give him a chance, it is only fair, but there are no mulligans anymore.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015

Not sure I agree with the total rebuild. You will never have more returnees than we will have next year. We have 19 or 20 returning players, including our vaunted 98s. There's just no way this can be considered year one of a rebuild.

Unless you're saying we have to give MM 3-4 years before judging? That's fair. But he certainly doesn't have to start over.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Not sure I agree with the total rebuild. You will never have more returnees than we will have next year. We have 19 or 20 returning players, including our vaunted 98s. There's just no way this can be considered year one of a rebuild.

Unless you're saying we have to give MM 3-4 years before judging? That's fair. But he certainly doesn't have to start over.

Very true. Actually, MM is moving into a pretty decent situation. As you've said, he has a good returning roster with some nice young players. He also has two or three high end '98's who could be dealt for good return as I'd expect we'll be sellers at next year's deadline.

There are question marks regarding our import situation IMO. Will Lias Andersson report? If he is selected in the 1st round of the NHL draft, at least we'll be able to select another import (Landeskog rule). Do we continue with Schiemenz or go back into the draft? To be honest, I'm in favor of an upgrade where he is concerned. I really think Schiemenz is in over his head in this league. As I've said before, your import players have to be impact players.

I wish MH would have left him in a better situation regarding the upcoming draft. The cupboard isn't as stocked as Steve B would have us think. No, we're not in the shape that Windsor or Erie is in, but only having four picks in the first five rounds is not ideal. To compare, (and yes, I'll bring up London again), even after dealing away 14 picks at this year's deadline, they still have 8 picks in the first five rounds - double what we have. No, they can't all play, but they can be dealt for futures - as London has done in the past.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
When is the import draft?
I think Schiemenz shows glimpses of promise. Then goes back to being invisible.

We will know more after the draft for next years team.
But mostly I think the team depends on who they can recruit.
That's where I'm hoping McKenzie to really prove himself, who can he get into a Kitchener Jersey. The sooner he can get reports to commit, the more others will want to show, and could help our import draft situation. If others are coming here, maybe we can get a better import to report.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

I guess looking from the outside I see a young team with a number of good puzzle pieces - problem is they don't all come from the same box - MM needs to decide which puzzle he wants to build and then keep the pieces that come from that box set - then move some pieces/bring in some pieces that matches the puzzle he wants to build. You have lots of talent they just don't compliment each other well. This takes a couple of years - can't be forced but needs to start with drafting the same style players.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
When is the import draft?
I think Schiemenz shows glimpses of promise. Then goes back to being invisible.

We will know more after the draft for next years team.
But mostly I think the team depends on who they can recruit.
That's where I'm hoping McKenzie to really prove himself, who can he get into a Kitchener Jersey. The sooner he can get reports to commit, the more others will want to show, and could help our import draft situation. If others are coming here, maybe we can get a better import to report.

I believe the import draft is usually a week after the NHL draft.

To be honest, had Schiemenz not been an import, he'd have played at least half the season at JrB - or should have.

Yes, we have a ton of players we've drafted that MM has to try and get to report. Some of which the ship may have sailed on. Others, not so much. If he can even get a couple to report, it would speak volumes.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I guess looking from the outside I see a young team with a number of good puzzle pieces - problem is they don't all come from the same box - MM needs to decide which puzzle he wants to build and then keep the pieces that come from that box set - then move some pieces/bring in some pieces that matches the puzzle he wants to build. You have lots of talent they just don't compliment each other well. This takes a couple of years - can't be forced but needs to start with drafting the same style players.

Agreed. I think this team needs an identity. That would start with who is named captain next year. My first choice is in Oshawa now. But if it were up to me, I'd be putting the "C" on Connor Hall's sweater next year. Character guy. Stands up for himself and team mates. Plays that "take no prisoners" style of game. Could be a Matt Pepe or Dan Kelly type of leader. I think that's the type of team we need to compete in this conference.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I actually don't think we're in bad shape next year.

Not a lot of teams can boast two returning guys with 40 goal potential (Mascherin and Bunnaman). In addition to a guy with 30 goal potential (Garreffa).

I liked a lot of what I saw from Meireles, Vallati, McHugh and Damiani - especially at the end of the year.

There are also unknowns in Yantsis, Guest and whoever we take in Round 1.

I think much depends on two guys reporting - Andersson and Inamoto. Those two could greatly impact our depth.

jmkrangers

Aug 28, 2012
Taylor Raddysh will likely be on the market next year if he returns to junior next year since Erie will be rebuilding. Anyone think we have a shot at getting him/would make sense for the MM to try to acquire him?

LeftShot

Nov 3, 2016
Taylor Raddysh will likely be on the market next year if he returns to junior next year since Erie will be rebuilding. Anyone think we have a shot at getting him/would make sense for the MM to try to acquire him?

Rumour still is that Otters will send Raddysh to Oshawa in the off-season as part of their dealings at this year's deadline.

I caught several Ranger games down the stretch and into the post-season and I think this team is in decent shape. Those young players work hard and will only continue to develop.

I don't think McKenzie needs to make a huge splash right away....but would trading Mascherin be something to consider? I know that's probably not popular, but the assets you would receive in return would compliment the young players and make the Rangers a legit contender in two seasons.

Mascherin won't be back as an OA and if you wait to the deadline you could get another Bracco situation all over again.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Rumour still is that Otters will send Raddysh to Oshawa in the off-season as part of their dealings at this year's deadline.

I caught several Ranger games down the stretch and into the post-season and I think this team is in decent shape. Those young players work hard and will only continue to develop.

I don't think McKenzie needs to make a huge splash right away....but would trading Mascherin be something to consider? I know that's probably not popular, but the assets you would receive in return would compliment the young players and make the Rangers a legit contender in two seasons.

Mascherin won't be back as an OA and if you wait to the deadline you could get another Bracco situation all over again.
That was if Erie got a bargain for whatever reason because of the shortage of picks. I think Oshawa got the right amount back so I don't think that is really in the cards. Also without the MC, Oshawa might wait 1 more year to go for it

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

I would be all for trading Mascherin and Bunnaman. Opilka I suspect will be back as an overager to get at least one full season in??...maybe send him to OS since McNiven probably won't be back as an overager and the Attack has all the pieces except in net for next year. But will be trading within the Midwest be done??? Hmmmm

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I would be all for trading Mascherin and Bunnaman. Opilka I suspect will be back as an overager to get at least one full season in??...maybe send him to OS since McNiven probably won't be back as an overager and the Attack has all the pieces except in net for next year. But will be trading within the Midwest be done??? Hmmmm

I suspect Mascherin, Bunnaman, and Hall would attract interest among contenders. We're destined to be sellers again next year. We are still very young and likely another year away from taking a run. Of course, all bets are off if MM can get a handful of our drafted players to report. Fingers crossed!

Any deal involving Opilka should happen before opening night next fall for a few reasons. Year after year it's been proven that for the most part, the trade value of the veteran goalie, especially an OA, plummets as the season goes on. Owen Sound will be a top contender next season. They'll want to solidify their goal tending before the season starts I'd figure. Also, the Rangers would want to get whoever their go to goalie will be for 2018-19 a full season next year as the #1.

One issue with Owen Sound being a trade partner for Opilka is that it's unlikely, though not out of the question, that McNiven returns for an OA season. Another is Opilka's history of injury/illness over the last year. OS management may not want to go all in on Opilka if there's any fear he can't put together a healthy season.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If the Rangers do decide to move some 19 year old high impact players next season they had better get a younger high impact player back in return. They really failed to do that in the Bracco trade. The 8th and 13th were in my opinion what they paid for Carter and Burns which was a fair price for their talent I guess. Carter being another small player. The 3 2nds were what they got for Bracco. If McKenzie does decide to make moves he has to do a better job than his predecessor. Other wise there will be more empty seats at the Aud. I think the consensus is that fans were getting bored with the style of play. The Attack have a nice style that combines scoring , a penchant for strong defense and hitting. Plus great goal tending. IMO the Rangers do need a different identity. One that makes opponents think the Aud is a difficult barn to come into. I like Even's idea of making a player like Hall the captain. He would set an example for others to follow. I think some of the young players have it in them to play a grittier type of hockey so that is a good place to start.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I completely agree with Connor Hall being captain next season. His presence on the ice is evident. I'm sure it would be in the dressing room too.

I was very happy with the compete level during the Owen Sound series. They had more talent and hustled hard, but we at least matched their work ethic.

Agree too with some scouting changes and picking players based on how they fit within our team identity.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I completely agree with Connor Hall being captain next season. His presence on the ice is evident. I'm sure it would be in the dressing room too.

I was very happy with the compete level during the Owen Sound series. They had more talent and hustled hard, but we at least matched their work ethic.

Agree too with some scouting changes and picking players based on how they fit within our team identity.
Good point Sheila on scouting. McKenzie has to take a hard look at scouting. Keep adding some character to the team to make it more palatable for the fans. Nothing wrong with getting the fans into the game and more involved. Would be nice to hear some cheering other than that recording they play. I am really going to be watching this next draft to see what direction this team is going in. I want to see McKenzie do well. Hopefully he wants to change direction and is in charge of future picks. We heard Smith say he would change things and we all know where that went. I liked what I saw from some of our young guns also. On a side note Roberts put on a little skating demonstration in the last game. Makes me wonder if the coaches have been holding him back for some reason this last season?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
As for the upcoming draft my preference would be drafting sure fired players that will sign. Without a full draft cupboard why make matters worse by wasting relatively high to mid round draft picks on players who probably won't be signed.

Mowman

Jan 17, 2017

Trading Mascherin may be more popular than you think. If for one, and many fans I have spoken to, are fed up with him. If he doesn't have the puck on his stick, he doesn't seem to care. I look at him as a "me first" and not a "team firt" type of player.

I know that's a lot of goals to trade away, but it's like watching Bailey all over again, and it annoys me lol

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Trading Mascherin may be more popular than you think. If for one, and many fans I have spoken to, are fed up with him. If he doesn't have the puck on his stick, he doesn't seem to care. I look at him as a "me first" and not a "team firt" type of player.

I know that's a lot of goals to trade away, but it's like watching Bailey all over again, and it annoys me lol

Doubt you are a Ranger Fan. If you were you would know Mascherin had 65 assists. 100 points. To accomplish 100 points on this squad with basically no support after Bracco left is incredible. If some of his line mates were able to pick up the number of passes he made to them and put them in the net he would have gave Dabrincat run. Had to be involved in the play with others some where. Sure your not a disgruntled Leaf fan. Terrible post on my opinion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad