Kitchener Rangers 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Take this with a grain of salt..belong to the Michigan Wolverine Rival's site and there is growing confidence that Jack Lafontaine will be joining the Wolverines next season..possbily committing in the next week or so

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Take this with a grain of salt..belong to the Michigan Wolverine Rival's site and there is growing confidence that Jack Lafontaine will be joining the Wolverines next season..possbily committing in the next week or so

That doesn't surprise me. Normally I'd be disappointed, because LaFontaine looks like a great prospect, but we look to be set for the foreseeable future with Opilka and Luke Richardson.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Hopefully Richardson & Brendan Lemieux don't get too well acquainted today ... . Geez, hope Opilka is OK too!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Devine playing for Elmira today. Rangers played a sloppy game today. First period wasn't nice. Poor passing. Defense out of position in front of a rookie goalie. Windsor capitalized on their chances. Windsor is a good club. Got a point and the Knights never which as Martha Steward says is a good thing.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
No excuses ......grab a point and move on.
Definitely not close to the Rangers average game and to get a point out of this game is a bonus!!

Last edited:

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Olpilka has been battling the flu for the past few days and now he is evidently having blood tests done. Hopefully he hasn't got that dreaded "Mono" that rears its head at this time of the year.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Olpilka has been battling the flu for the past few days and now he is evidently having blood tests done. Hopefully he hasn't got that dreaded "Mono" that rears its head at this time of the year.

No kidding - for a few reasons. I hate to see a kid miss out on the world juniors due to illness/injury, and the Rangers simply can't be without him indefinitely.

The Rangers have all kinds of depth... except in net, and that's a bit worrisome looking at the next few weeks. Richardson has played well, but he looked like a 16 year old tender yesterday vs. Windsor.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
No kidding - for a few reasons. I hate to see a kid miss out on the world juniors due to illness/injury, and the Rangers simply can't be without him indefinitely.

The Rangers have all kinds of depth... except in net, and that's a bit worrisome looking at the next few weeks. Richardson has played well, but he looked like a 16 year old tender yesterday vs. Windsor.
Definitely agree on Opilka since this opportunity is very short but he still has next season.
I wonder if USA hockey is just going to tell him to stay away in case he's contagious?
The Ranger team yesterday looked sluggish as if they were trying to fight off a bug of something!

Last edited:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
By my count, and by others as well, London will be down 9 players and Kitchener will be down 8.
Out for Kitchener: MacInnis, Opilka, Henderson, Sergeev, Hall, Carty, Robinson, and Brosnan
Out for London: Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk, Juolevi, Jamieson, Burke, Parsons, Hidi, and Crawley
It will be a true telling sign of depth tomorrow night. I think that we have the better depth but that could be the home town fan in me talking.

Should be a good game.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
By my count, and by others as well, London will be down 9 players and Kitchener will be down 8.
Out for Kitchener: MacInnis, Opilka, Henderson, Sergeev, Hall, Carty, Robinson, and Brosnan
Out for London: Marner, Dvorak, Tkachuk, Juolevi, Jamieson, Burke, Parsons, Hidi, and Crawley
It will be a true telling sign of depth tomorrow night. I think that we have the better depth but that could be the home town fan in me talking.

Should be a good game.

No, it shouldn't be a good game at all. In some ways it's rather meaningless in so far as fans of both teams will still have no clue as to how their team stacks up against the opposition.
Having said that, I like the Rangers depth and experience up front.
The Knights rely too much on their top line (and PP) so you will likely win handily tomorrow night.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
No, it shouldn't be a good game at all. In some ways it's rather meaningless in so far as fans of both teams will still have no clue as to how their team stacks up against the opposition.
The Knights rely too much on their top line (and PP) so you will likely win handily tomorrow night.

It won't likely be a good game based on all the absences (17 regulars between the two teams... don't know the last time that happened).

But a win vs the evil empire is never meaningless! Here's hoping Kitchener can pull it out. :laugh:

Mayday3*

I went to the Canada East vs Russia game last night and was really impressed by Quinn Wichers who is a Rangers draft pick. Played very well in his own zone and was Canada's best D at breaking it out of their zone

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener

I didn't say it would be entertaining. :sarcasm:

It will be good to see your back-up's back-up against our back-up's back-up.
Our 5th line against your 5th line
....etc.

I like our depth better, thinking (hope) it's a win for us. Hence a good game.

This by my account decreases his trade value with the verbal commitment.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
This by my account decreases his trade value with the verbal commitment.

It may decrease his trade value, but his willingness to come to the OHL as a 16 year old was strong had the Rangers given in to his guaranteed games played demands. That being said, if he doesn't play much at Michigan, the value may ramp up again. Maybe at next year's deadline.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It won't likely be a good game based on all the absences (17 regulars between the two teams... don't know the last time that happened).

But a win vs the evil empire is never meaningless! Here's hoping Kitchener can pull it out. :laugh:

The period during the WJC absences can be an interesting time. It's an opportunity for second tier players to show how good they can be. During the time the Rangers were without Roy, Campbell, and Kanko during the 2002-03 WJC, the Rangers went undefeated I believe and it was primarily due to the emergence of Mike Richards. It was a coming of age for him as a player and leader in this league.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
It may decrease his trade value, but his willingness to come to the OHL as a 16 year old was strong had the Rangers given in to his guaranteed games played demands. That being said, if he doesn't play much at Michigan, the value may ramp up again. Maybe at next year's deadline.

Lafontaine will get playing time..along with him and St. Cyr are the Wolverines tandem of the future.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The period during the WJC absences can be an interesting time. It's an opportunity for second tier players to show how good they can be. During the time the Rangers were without Roy, Campbell, and Kanko during the 2002-03 WJC, the Rangers went undefeated I believe and it was primarily due to the emergence of Mike Richards. It was a coming of age for him as a player and leader in this league.

The WJHC break with call-ups is one of my favourite times of the hockey season to catch the prospects in action.
Having said that....haven't we've seen these call-ups all season long with about 4 to 5 regulars out per game? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Third overall in the OHL in goals per game.
With 7 skaters a good shot at getting 20 goals and maybe 9 skaters if Franzen and Bracco gets a bit hot.
David Miller would be getting 20 also if he never missed a large chunk of the first half with his ankle injury

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Lafontaine only has value to the Rangers if his rights were able to be traded. Other than that the ship has sailed one would think. Wouldn't want a player that refused to show on the team.

Would be 3rd on the depth chart maybe even 4th now behind Richardson?
Ship has sailed!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Would be 3rd on the depth chart maybe even 4th now behind Richardson?
Ship has sailed!

Lafontaine is playing in a lower level league. Not even sure it's comparable to junior B. The OHL is by far the best junior league in the world. Players are bigger, stronger and faster with harder shots. No comparison to where he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad