Kitchener Rangers 2015-16 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I will be attending and doing reports for the blue and white games this year. If you are going to be at the arena, I am the brown man with a laptop!

If not, I will try to get as much info as I can and post it here. Will also be on my twitter as well!

Macker88

Jul 15, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I appreciate the feed back. Your 100% correct Greenfield and Welsh aren't exactly key losses, I more less just listed the players moving on.

ILuvHackey

Sep 2, 2015
Del Zotto has been a BEAST for Cambridge in their GOJHL camp. Really liking that pick!

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Wednesday Night Practice

I watched the practices on Wednesday night. The drills were about speed, skating and passing accurately while in motion. Drills were stopped when they weren't done to the satisfaction of the coaches and corrections were given to the players. The players responded well. I was impressed with the players on the ice.

Bunnaman, Magyar and Davies looked bigger and stronger. The speed of Elijah Roberts is very high. He's fun to watch. Garreffa is a fluid skater with good hands. Hard to tell much from a practice. Blue - White games will show more and the Exhibition game on Sunday after the Fan BBQ even more.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Can anyone tell me how long the blue and white game is?3-15's etc?Deciding to go?

Last edited:

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I watched the practices on Wednesday night. The drills were about speed, skating and passing accurately while in motion. Drills were stopped when they weren't done to the satisfaction of the coaches and corrections were given to the players. The players responded well. I was impressed with the players on the ice.

Bunnaman, Magyar and Davies looked bigger and stronger. The speed of Elijah Roberts is very high. He's fun to watch. Garreffa is a fluid skater with good hands. Hard to tell much from a practice. Blue - White games will show more and the Exhibition game on Sunday after the Fan BBQ even more.

What about Oh...Pilka?

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
Can anyone tell me how long the blue and white game is?3-15's etc?Deciding to go?

Don't know if you got an answer yet. But they're full games. Three 20min stop-time periods with zamboni in between. So pumped to be back in my seats at the Aud tonight!

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Don't know if you got an answer yet. But they're full games. Three 20min stop-time periods with zamboni in between. So pumped to be back in my seats at the Aud tonight!

This morning it was three 15 minute periods with floods . Followed by a 5 minute 3 on 3 after the third. Could have been because of ice conditions in this heat. It looked like they could have used a flood after the warmup.

K2

Jun 11, 2015
Del Zotto seemed extremely adept at stealing and keeping the puck at both ends of the ice. Had a couple scoring chances. Really stood out to me but he is very small, albeit not at all shy on the boards. Bunnaman and Magyar looked good. Nick Durajlija and Roberts were notable as newcomers while Sergeev and Blaisdell played well. Brosnan didn't stand out, DiPerna and Hall looked rusty.

Only Richardson seemed to get tested much in goal through regulation and he had little chance to even see Bunny's shot/goal. Not sure but I think Carty was in net for the 3 OT 3on3 goals and took a knock at one point.

Last edited:

Jeffy3535

Feb 18, 2015
It's pretty amazing what one summer can do. Blaisdell, Davies, Casagnette almost look like different people. Apparaently Mascherin dropped 7 pounds, but he looks like he could be a running back now. As for newcomers, I thought Henderson and Roberts were the most noticeable. I can see both becoming fan favourites like Kohn, just hard workers with little fear. And then there's DelZotto, might be on a hot streak right now. Any chance he makes the team??

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
It's pretty amazing what one summer can do. Blaisdell, Davies, Casagnette almost look like different people. Apparaently Mascherin dropped 7 pounds, but he looks like he could be a running back now. As for newcomers, I thought Henderson and Roberts were the most noticeable. I can see both becoming fan favourites like Kohn, just hard workers with little fear. And then there's DelZotto, might be on a hot streak right now. Any chance he makes the team??

Opilka ???

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Opilka ???

Sorry, I've seen you ask this a cpl times with no replies.
With my limited viewing in the scrimmage last night it looks like he has good lateral movement and gives up very few rebounds.
No idea on his glove hand.
Will have a better read on him after a cpl more viewings.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Not sure if DelZotto or Joseph Garreffa will make the team this year but both seem to be fearless with no regard for their "limited" body well being.
Of all the new players the one that really stood out for me was Dylan Seitz. He seemed to be a player that gets under other players skin and has a nice physical edge to his play. As a 16 yr old from the US I doubt he'll make the team but I think next year he will be. I think of him as a Connor Bunnaman type player.
Rafael Lecours (14 draft) also seems to have the tools to be a skater on this years team sometime during the year.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Sorry, I've seen you ask this a cpl times with no replies.
With my limited viewing in the scrimmage last night it looks like he has good lateral movement and gives up very few rebounds.
No idea on his glove hand.
Will have a better read on him after a cpl more viewings.

Thank you.

Melrose

May 8, 2014
Nellie - He just hasn't had that much exposure yet. Most of the practises the goalie coach spent time with goalies while other players went through the drills. Should be able to get a better look with the game tonight and Sunday.

rgrsboom

Dec 6, 2014
Sec 7 Row K
Was able to catch most of last nite's scrimmage and the first two periods this am.
Last night I thought that one of the best players on the ice was DiPerna. He had a shaky start that might have woke him up and then he was solid in his own end and leading plays up the ice when the chance was there. Also thought the Kilgour - Cascagnette - Seitz line was very effective, esp in the third period when team White rallied with 5 unanswered to take the game 6-3.
We are really solid in the back end, not just this year, but for years to come. We probably won't see them this year but we have 4 - 99'ers and all have been real solid. If we didn't have Hall and Allen ready to step up, we might see some of them, but for now I think they are best served logging some big ice at the Jr. B level. Durajlija and Peterson are both big kids. Roberts is great on his feet and sees the ice real well and Felix is real steady. But I can't see them stepping up ahead of Allen, Blaisdell,Brosnan, DiPerna, Hall, Hora and Sergeev. (Which may mean we move one or more of them to boost our forward group). Hall and Allen have been very good, playing physical when needed and making good passes or skating it out of their own end with some good foot speed.
It was a feisty affair with some great hits and some scraps - which to me says that guys know they are fighting for jobs and not just granted one based on their status last year.
The other newcomers who impressed me were Adam Keyes from London, Dylan Seitz, Jake Henderson (good skater and strong on the puck) and Del Zotto.
This morning, the McInnis, Mascherin, Miller line was real solid, generating scoring chances at will, and netting a few. Guys who appear ready to step up might be Davies, Kohn and Bunnaman looks better than last season with more confidence under his belt.
Richardson took a bit of a beating last night when the White team scored 5 in the third, but he was at my end this morning and played very well. Got to see Opilka and while not testing to the extreme he stopped everything that came his way with great rebound control.
Look forward to Sunday to see how they play against a team they don't share a dressing room with.

ILuvHackey

Sep 2, 2015
Was able to catch most of last nite's scrimmage and the first two periods this am.
Last night I thought that one of the best players on the ice was DiPerna. He had a shaky start that might have woke him up and then he was solid in his own end and leading plays up the ice when the chance was there. Also thought the Kilgour - Cascagnette - Seitz line was very effective, esp in the third period when team White rallied with 5 unanswered to take the game 6-3.
We are really solid in the back end, not just this year, but for years to come. We probably won't see them this year but we have 4 - 99'ers and all have been real solid. If we didn't have Hall and Allen ready to step up, we might see some of them, but for now I think they are best served logging some big ice at the Jr. B level. Durajlija and Peterson are both big kids. Roberts is great on his feet and sees the ice real well and Felix is real steady. But I can't see them stepping up ahead of Allen, Blaisdell,Brosnan, DiPerna, Hall, Hora and Sergeev. (Which may mean we move one or more of them to boost our forward group). Hall and Allen have been very good, playing physical when needed and making good passes or skating it out of their own end with some good foot speed.
It was a feisty affair with some great hits and some scraps - which to me says that guys know they are fighting for jobs and not just granted one based on their status last year.
The other newcomers who impressed me were Adam Keyes from London, Dylan Seitz, Jake Henderson (good skater and strong on the puck) and Del Zotto.
This morning, the McInnis, Mascherin, Miller line was real solid, generating scoring chances at will, and netting a few. Guys who appear ready to step up might be Davies, Kohn and Bunnaman looks better than last season with more confidence under his belt.
Richardson took a bit of a beating last night when the White team scored 5 in the third, but he was at my end this morning and played very well. Got to see Opilka and while not testing to the extreme he stopped everything that came his way with great rebound control.
Look forward to Sunday to see how they play against a team they don't share a dressing room with.

I agree with you on Peterson -- impressive player. Solid D, but mobile and the ability to move the puck with some burgeoning puck skills.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
So far the cuts/re-assigns are:
G - Capriotti

D-Durajlija
D-Felix
D-Peterson

F-Apperson
F-Del Zotto
F-Gaboury
F-George
F-Keyes
F-Lecours
F-Mackay
F-Rooney
F-Seitz

I was impressed with Del Zotto, Seitz and Felix at training camp. Hoping Del Zotto will be used as a call-up this year when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad