Waived: Kirill Semyonov

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Uhh Barabanov was given a chance but didn't stand out. Dubas then traded him and made him happy. Players look at stuff like that. Will the team give them an opportunity in another team if they don't get it here? It's more about keeping them happy more then chances here. Russians will come.
I'm not sure why you think Mikhayev asking to be traded is a negative on the team.

Not sure I agree. If I was a Russian player looking for an opportunity I would see how it worked out for the other guys that came over. Yes, Barbanov got sent to San Jose, but if I am a player maybe I look for teams with more opportunity in their line up than Toronto. I would also look at their salary cap issues. If I do play well, is there a chance I get paid? Unlikely without having to move on. But then I have to prove myself all over again.

Reactions: stickty111

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think a glass half full way to look at that is that Dubas brought them in and said if it doesn’t work out here, we’ll make sure we find you an opportunity or release you. Which he did.
Yup there is absolutely that angle as well. I really hope that is the case.

Last year he didn't need to move Barabanov, but he did so to give him the opportunity he was likely always promised. Same with Mikko. Dubas has done this many times, Lievo and Bracco come to mind as well. So I do think he has a reputation leaguewide of being a fair GM and not burying guys for his own gain. It's why you see a guy like Josh Ho-Sang sign an AHL deal with no timetable to make the big club.

My worry is that within the Russian circles the word is going to slowly change. The message has always been that he will give these guys a shot at camp to make the roster, and if it doesn't work out right away he will keep them around long enough until it becomes clear they won't make the lineup and then move the player thereafter. Unfortunately none of the recent signings have been able to make a consistent presence in the lineup. Combine that with the fact that former castaway Barabanov is producing at over 0.5pts/GP elsewhere, it might raise some doubts among potential UFA's that they don't actually have a shot in TOR, so why even bother signing.

The alternative is holding Semy and burying him, which is even worse. So I really don't think Kyle could have done anything about the situation. I just hope Semy has good reviews when he goes back to Russia

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Oh yeah for sure. This won't impact the ability to lure players from Europe. I just hope we have learned a lesson from last year that these players should probably be given more opportunities with the Leafs over the low-ceiling established vets lol
Doesn't seem like it's one size fits all. Spezza has been a great "low ceiling" vet. Force feeding Oz blocked Holl and made us worse. Mik has been at worst a competent NHLer .

Seems more about the player that the route here

Reactions: stickty111

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
No real loss here, he wasn’t very good at all in his brief stint in the NHL

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Not sure I agree. If I was a Russian player looking for an opportunity I would see how it worked out for the other guys that came over. Yes, Barbanov got sent to San Jose, but if I am a player maybe I look for teams with more opportunity in their line up than Toronto. I would also look at their salary cap issues. If I do play well, is there a chance I get paid? Unlikely without having to move on. But then I have to prove myself all over again.
Thats fair but players do care about the humanity aspect.

Reactions: Rude Dog

griffon1

Feb 14, 2018
Adrift at sea
No loss and no, it won't affect ability to lure others. Geesh if you can't make the team, you get an opportunity elsewhere or you go home.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
A 26 year old rookie is expected to be fully cooked. Fully cooked in this case is a ppg player in the A and replacement level forward at the NHL level. I hope this doesn't sour the idea of trying this type of signing every summer. It could really make a difference the year a player comes over on an ELC and delivers.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I thought he looked great with kampf in preseason and the coach quickly lost faith in his NHL audition.

A little patience and he would have been decent bottom 6 centre depth.
I would like a Armadio/Brooks waiting on the Marlies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I thought he looked great with kampf in preseason and the coach quickly lost faith in his NHL audition.

A little patience and he would have been decent bottom 6 centre depth.
I would like a Armadio/Brooks waiting on the Marlies.

Thought so too. FWIW Barabanov has 17 pts in 26 GP for SJ since being waived. It seems more and more like it's less about baseline skill and more about fit within the team. I would suspect that Semyonov was a backup in case Kampf flamed out here.

Reactions: The Iceman

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Thought so too. FWIW Barabanov has 17 pts in 26 GP for SJ since being waived. It seems more and more like it's less about baseline skill and more about fit within the team. I would suspect that Semyonov was a backup in case Kampf flamed out here.
Barbanov was traded, not waived.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Doesn't seem like it's one size fits all. Spezza has been a great "low ceiling" vet. Force feeding Oz blocked Holl and made us worse. Mik has been at worst a competent NHLer .

Seems more about the player that the route here

I wouldn't lump Spezza with Vesey and Thornton because he was effective from the moment he got here in 2019 and his ceiling has been higher. They tried to make Vesey work everywhere in the lineup for some reason. And Oz was because Babcock did Babcock things (hating Holl).

Mar 12, 2009
Yup there is absolutely that angle as well. I really hope that is the case.

Last year he didn't need to move Barabanov, but he did so to give him the opportunity he was likely always promised. Same with Mikko. Dubas has done this many times, Lievo and Bracco come to mind as well. So I do think he has a reputation leaguewide of being a fair GM and not burying guys for his own gain. It's why you see a guy like Josh Ho-Sang sign an AHL deal with no timetable to make the big club.

My worry is that within the Russian circles the word is going to slowly change. The message has always been that he will give these guys a shot at camp to make the roster, and if it doesn't work out right away he will keep them around long enough until it becomes clear they won't make the lineup and then move the player thereafter. Unfortunately none of the recent signings have been able to make a consistent presence in the lineup. Combine that with the fact that former castaway Barabanov is producing at over 0.5pts/GP elsewhere, it might raise some doubts among potential UFA's that they don't actually have a shot in TOR, so why even bother signing.

The alternative is holding Semy and burying him, which is even worse. So I really don't think Kyle could have done anything about the situation. I just hope Semy has good reviews when he goes back to Russia
Bracco became a nuisance with off ice alleged harassment and allegedly conning people out of money causing legal issues (heard from one person allegedly involved in a case with him). Shipping him out benefited us more than anyone.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs have treated those KHL free wallets like fantasy hockey adds and drops. Between adding what seem like milquetoast players to having no real audition or development time for guys making that transition, it doesn’t seem like that route is working out very well.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Leafs have treated those KHL free wallets like fantasy hockey adds and drops. Between adding what seem like milquetoast players to having no real audition or development time for guys making that transition, it doesn’t seem like that route is working out very well.

They've been giving a lot of those players opportunities. Other teams go through the same process but it doesn't get attention because we're not fans of those teams and they don't get the media attention.

I don't think people understand how many EU/RUS players gets signed by other teams and they don't always work out. But it doesn't mean you stop trying or lose those opportunities to sign them just because they either go back or don't really do well. The Leafs and other NHL teams don't typically sign those players with the intention of them becoming stars either.

Semyonov I'm sure appreciated the opportunity but it's clear he doesn't want to stick at the AHL level.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad