Waived: Kirill Semyonov

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Engvall does more with his similar ice time. That’s saying something.

Liked his speed but you have to make hay with your opportunities. A few bad plays last game probably sunk him.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
you'd figure some other team would give him a barabonov-like looksee.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Sad, the only thing I will remember about him is a bad dump-in the other night, shot right at a D-man which I believe cost us a goal, or almost.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think big picture this means Micheyev will likely not resign with us past this season. They were boys from what I gather. Not to mention Ilya has already expressed issues with playing time in the past. Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but we seem to leave Ilya on a Russian island every year. Bring in a couple at camp, and then tell em to pound sand right after. Seymonov, Ohziganov, Zaitsev and potentially Micheyev will have departed the Leafs organization with a sour taste left in their mouths. I think in Zaitsev and Ozighanov's case it was more Babs related than TML related, but still...

We also have no clue how Barabanov felt towards the Leafs when he left either. I love being able to get these "free wallets" from Russia consistently but you gotta wonder if this will continue to be the case going forward. We don't exactly have the greatest track record for player experience.

Best of luck to Semy. Ultimately is wasn't anything he did or didn't do, but more so the fact that the team was just so dialed he could never get in.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
you'd figure some other team would give him a barabonov-like looksee.
Now that I think about it, this helps Anderson. I know he plays wing and Semyanov played C but he was still ahead of Anderson on the depth chart so Anderson moves up now. Personally I think he should be ahead of Clifford too but might not be. At worst he's the 15th forward but could be 13th at full health.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A bit of a shame but what can you do. He was solid for the most part.

The Leafs center depth has taken a hit since the start of the season. Brooks, Amadio and now Semyonov gone. They have Kerfoot and Engvall capable of playing center in spurts, but they are much more effective on the wing for a reason.

I hope they can plug a hole there over the next couple weeks. They need a capable call-up from the Marlies to play center. Abramov and SDA are the next natural centers from the Marlies and they aren't quite NHL ready.

Reactions: stickty111

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I thought he was decent. Surprised they never really gave him a chance. Can’t see any Russian signing in Toronto anymore after watching what happened to almost every one of them the last number of years. Even the success story in Mikey wanted out last summer.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

The Leafs center depth has taken a hit since the start of the season. Brooks, Amadio and now Semyonov gone. They have Kerfoot and Engvall capable of playing center in spurts, but they are much more effective on the wing for a reason.

I hope they can plug a hole there over the next couple weeks. They need a capable call-up from the Marlies to play center. Abramov and SDA are the next natural centers from the Marlies and they aren't quite NHL ready.
On the positive though, Steeves is getting close to a call up.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

I don’t see the the centre thing as much of an issue right now.
Kerfoot and Engval can both play centre. Call up a winger if needed and slide one of them over.
The bigger problem I see coming right now is Mrazek and Mikheyev are both getting ready to come back and we won’t have the cap space to carry more than 1 extra player.
1 of Engval or Dermott would have to go to become cap compliant and neither would pass through waivers.
Sending Liljegren down would kick the problem down the road a bit but he deserves a spot on the team at this point.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I thought he was decent. Surprised they never really gave him a chance. Can’t see any Russian signing in Toronto anymore after watching what happened to almost every one of them the last number of years. Even the success story in Mikey wanted out last summer.
Uhh Barabanov was given a chance but didn't stand out. Dubas then traded him and made him happy. Players look at stuff like that. Will the team give them an opportunity in another team if they don't get it here? It's more about keeping them happy more then chances here. Russians will come.
I'm not sure why you think Mikhayev asking to be traded is a negative on the team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don’t see the the centre thing as much of an issue right now.
Kerfoot and Engval can both play centre. Call up a winger if needed and slide one of them over.
The bigger problem I see coming right now is Mrazek and Mikheyev are both getting ready to come back and we won’t have the cap space to carry more than 1 extra player.
1 of Engval or Dermott would have to go to become cap compliant and neither would pass through waivers.
Sending Liljegren down would kick the problem down the road a bit but he deserves a spot on the team at this point.

It's more about the Marlies than the Leafs really. Overall it's probably a little exaggerated for the depth part for sure, I agree. Engvall isn't a very good center though. Kerfoot is good at it but better on the wing.

It's just good business to make sure you have a placeholder ready to go in case.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not too surprised considering the lack of opportunity. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good on both sides for the attempt.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Uhh Barabanov was given a chance but didn't stand out. Dubas then traded him and made him happy. Players look at stuff like that. Will the team give them an opportunity in another team if they don't get it here? It's more about keeping them happy more then chances here. Russians will come.
I'm not sure why you think Mikhayev asking to be traded is a negative on the team.

Was he, though? We kept playing ineffective players like Vesey, Thornton, etc over him. Hard to stand out when you're getting ~8 min of ice-time

Reactions: Lauro

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I think big picture this means Micheyev will likely not resign with us past this season. They were boys from what I gather. Not to mention Ilya has already expressed issues with playing time in the past. Maybe I'm looking too far into it, but we seem to leave Ilya on a Russian island every year. Bring in a couple at camp, and then tell em to pound sand right after. Seymonov, Ohziganov, Zaitsev and potentially Micheyev will have departed the Leafs organization with a sour taste left in their mouths. I think in Zaitsev and Ozighanov's case it was more Babs related than TML related, but still...

We also have no clue how Barabanov felt towards the Leafs when he left either. I love being able to get these "free wallets" from Russia consistently but you gotta wonder if this will continue to be the case going forward. We don't exactly have the greatest track record for player experience.

Best of luck to Semy. Ultimately is wasn't anything he did or didn't do, but more so the fact that the team was just so dialed he could never get in.
I think a glass half full way to look at that is that Dubas brought them in and said if it doesn’t work out here, we’ll make sure we find you an opportunity or release you. Which he did.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Thats fair but my point was more around the notion players won't come. Leafs take care of them well, and if they feel they won't get a chance here, they move them.

Oh yeah for sure. This won't impact the ability to lure players from Europe. I just hope we have learned a lesson from last year that these players should probably be given more opportunities with the Leafs over the low-ceiling established vets lol

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007

Oh well. Not going to lose sleep over whether Mikheyev has a Russian buddy on the team.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Sad, the only thing I will remember about him is a bad dump-in the other night, shot right at a D-man which I believe cost us a goal, or almost.

2 turnovers, one on a broken line change and the other in the neutral zone. Both led to scoring chances but the first led to a goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad