Waived: Kirill Semyonov

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Supposed to be a good defensive and PK forward and strong on the draw. Likely competing with Engvall for a 4C/W spot. He is waiver exempt so that probably hurts his chances at sticking on the roster, at least to start.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
His status is an interesting mix of being waiver exempt but also a UFA at season's end. While he might not make the team coming out of the preseason, he should find himself in the queue for a callup or injury fill-in promotion at some point.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It's almost like he's going to come under the radar. No one is trying to attach lofty projections on the player. Maybe he's going to be a modest yet useful type of player. My hopes: role player with sound all-around hockey skills and a proper understanding of his responsibilities on the ice like a Leo Komarov.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
It's almost like he's going to come under the radar. No one is trying to attach lofty projections on the player. Maybe he's going to be a modest yet useful type of player. My hopes: role player with sound all-around hockey skills and a proper understanding of his responsibilities on the ice like a Leo Komarov.

I know Leo is no longer liked here but remember when Leo was a legend in KHL and hated by every team
So much so a team had his face painted on stairs so everyone can walk over him

Dude was a legend. I used to love how he used to hit everything. Not sure what he brings, if he brings anything at all. Very few KHL players come over and actually play the game physical

Reactions: justashadowof

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I suspect it has to do with most North Erica based Leafs fan simply don't follow Euro leagues all that closely so unless it's a guy that fans would go out of their way to track (like Amirov due to being a 1st round pick) these guys just slip under the radar

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think Semyonov will make the team personally. I think we have seen what we need to from Pierre. His cap hit doesn't justify his output on a consistent basis, and he's just not a player we can rely on for a consistent 10 mins a game. I feel very comfortable letting him go for nothing, he is not going to be a player we ever look back at saying we f***ed up letting him go. He will be waived/sent down, opening up a spot for Kirill/Simmonds/Gabriel to fight for on the 4th line with Kampf and Kase. To me, Semyonov is the best fit for that role. Everything I've read and seen on this guy is that he is defense first, extremely high motor, and a complete motherf*** to play against. Similar to Kampf. Add a dash of skill on the right side with Kase and that could be one hell of a 4th line.

I personally have Simmonds as our 13th forward for the entire year. He can check in when injuries occur and when Spezz needs a night off on B2B's. I just didn't see enough from Simmonds last year to think he will consistently be able to move the needle on a night to night basis.

Again, consistency is the characteristic I am looking for most in that 4th line LW role. Effort and tenacity being the only required attribute I'd need in a consistent fashion. Something that by all accounts will never be an issue with Kirill, or Kampf for that matter. Just seems like a perfect fit to me

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
My guess is we move Kerfoot to wing with Tavares-Nylander where there was chemistry previously.

Kampf\Semyonov battle for 3rd\4th C jobs. Both are supposed to be good defensively and above average on draws and PK.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What report is this? Need to post links with these type of claims.
Here. Unconfirmed report saying Kirill may move to Avangard. And they say he has opt-out (Euro) clause in his contract. Of course, nothing confirmed yet & Avangard doing nothing with their salary cap situation as we speak. We will see. The KHL trade deadline is Dec 27.

Reactions: barriers

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Wouldn’t really surprise me if this happened. Hasn’t really gotten a good opportunity to showcase himself in the NHL level here.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Wouldn’t really surprise me if this happened. Hasn’t really gotten a good opportunity to showcase himself in the NHL level here.
Said it when he signed... I have no idea why top European league players are choosing Toronto, we have too many options. Other teams have much more room for opportunity (see Barabanov and San Jose).

Reactions: Stigma and Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Said it when he signed... I have no idea why top European league players are choosing Toronto, we have too many options. Other teams have much more room for opportunity (see Barabanov and San Jose).

I can understand it from a perspective of wanting to play for a competitive team while in their walk year. Dubas did also trade Barabanov and Lehtonen once it was determined that there wasn't going to be a future here for those players. Of course, Semyonov has played even less than either of the aforementioned players, so...

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
hes going in draw into the lineup with/if kampf out..
both good defensively with offensive limitations

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Do not forget that Semyonov hardly set the KHL on fire last season. He was brought over to be a role player. The Leafs may have been his only NHL opportunity.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
didn't realize he had to be waived.

given that noone from the no-depth Leaf ever makes it through waivers, i guess this is goodbye.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
It’s for buyout purpose. He’s going back to the KHL. He never really impressed me in the games he played. He was just okay and we have others who are just okay.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
He is waiver-exempt. So perhaps this is Dubas giving him an opportunity to be claimed and play elsewhere? If he isn't claimed I'd expect him to be placed on unconditional waivers so he can return to the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad