Waived: Kirill Semyonov

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
They've been giving a lot of those players opportunities. Other teams go through the same process but it doesn't get attention because we're not fans of those teams and they don't get the media attention.

I don't think people understand how many EU/RUS players gets signed by other teams and they don't always work out. But it doesn't mean you stop trying or lose those opportunities to sign them just because they either go back or don't really do well.

The Leafs and other NHL teams don't typically sign those players with the intention of them becoming stars.

Not to the Leafs extent. My minor critique isn't so much that they're trying these free wallets, it's that it seems like they get tired of these toys too quickly in season. No harm done, but the question is are we looking at the right players in that league and are they setting up these new comers for success?

Hard to get a foot in the door on one of the best regular season teams, but just doesn't feel like the Barabanov's, Lehtonen's, Semyonov's, Ozhiganov's of the world are being put into situations to prove their worth.

Reactions: geo25

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not to the Leafs extent. My minor critique isn't so much that they're trying these free wallets, it's that it seems like they get tired of these toys too quickly in season. No harm done, but the question is are we looking at the right players in that league and are they setting up these new comers for success?

Hard to get a foot in the door on one of the best regular season teams, but just doesn't feel like the Barabanov's, Lehtonen's, Semyonov's, Ozhiganov's of the world are being put into situations to prove their worth.

It's really no different than signing a free agent prospect from the CHL or the NCAA. The difference is that these players are typically a little younger and don't mind the AHL, whereas Europeans or Russians prefer to go back home.

You'd be very surprised that most teams sign at least one of those players per off-season. Sometimes you get a Panarin, Zaitsev, Mikheyev, etc... sometimes you get Semyonov or Ozhiganov. Those are the names that come to mind from the top of my head.

I think most of these players are given a shot to work their way into the lineup. But a lot of times they just aren't good enough. Semyonov just gave up. Lehtonen gave it a real shot but it's clear he wasn't good enough. Mikheyev worked hard for his spot. Zaitsev was really good out of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: nuck

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Didn't quite have the drive. You can blame it on the organization/AHL coach/NHL opportunity whatever but he pulled the pin after 12 games over here. He didn't give himself a chance to earn a place, he left because he wasn't NHL ready and wasn't prepared to take the time and give the effort to force his way into a spot. A reverse Hyman.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Interesting to see the progression of the Leafs "extra forward" list since the camp.

Brooks Gone, Amadio Gone, Semyonov gone, Clifford in.

Will likely open up further opportunities for the likes of Joey Anderson, SDA, Alex Steeves and of course Josh Ho-Sang.

Reactions: geo25

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
If other NHL franchises were easily finding great success with European (especially Russian) free agent signings then I'd be down on these failures. It's a lower percentage move. It's like an instant mid-round pick: chances of failure are high but there's a 10% chance of success and that's why you do it.

I'd focus of the Leafs' lack of success drafting NCAA and NCAA-bound players over the past 3 decades. Every other NHL team hit on this source of NHL talent. Indications are that this drought could be ending soon.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

At the end of the day when scouting out side the NHL. Everything is an assumption on how they will fit in the NHL.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Interesting to see the progression of the Leafs "extra forward" list since the camp.

Brooks Gone, Amadio Gone, Semyonov gone, Clifford in.

Will likely open up further opportunities for the likes of Joey Anderson, SDA, Alex Steeves and of course Josh Ho-Sang.
I'm hoping we see more of the future options than Clifford. We're going to need to start inserting youth at some point. It's worked well on the backend so far with Sandin and Lilj, feels like Robertson and Anderson could contribute at a Ritchie/Simmonds level at the very least.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
If other NHL franchises were easily finding great success with European (especially Russian) free agent signings then I'd be down on these failures. It's a lower percentage move. It's like an instant mid-round pick: chances of failure are high but there's a 10% chance of success and that's why you do it.

I'd focus of the Leafs' lack of success drafting NCAA and NCAA-bound players over the past 3 decades. Every other NHL team hit on this source of NHL talent. Indications are that this drought could be ending soon.
Yeah, it seems like a massive waste of everyone's time to be honest.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Zaitsev, Mikheyev, Barabanov all playing inthe NHL and Borgman in the AHL on an NHL contract. It feels like I'm missing someone, but even so that's a very creditable mining of undrafted UFA talent over a fairly short period of time.

The Leafs have made something from nothing, and had a few swings at hitting a home run along the way.

So far, nothing more than a few singles, walks or hit-by-pitches to go along with the strikeouts and groundouts, but the results are still fair enough to keep on trying.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

I don’t think they’re giving up on them, just doing right by the players and agents by allowing them minutes if we can’t provide them

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He could have been a solid depth player or maybe a 4th liner, but this is a good reason why the standards for drafting Russians has to be ridiculously high. They don't stick around unless you are at least a Mikheyev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad