News Article: Kirill Petrov *Expected to sign ELC July 1 - Staple*

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Relax man. Some of us dropped huge caveats about ability level, but even the ones who didn't likely were thinking the same thing. No one expects chopped liver to get a chance on the first unit. It is also entirely possible this many years in the KHL has him as ready as he is going to be to make the leap. It is hard to imagine Kazan was not better than our amazing Bridgeport squad.

Anything is surely possible, but to EXPECT it to happen 2+ months before camp even opens without him playing on NA for any extended period of time is a bit of a stretch to say the least. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Anything is surely possible, but to EXPECT it to happen 2+ months before camp even opens without him playing on NA for any extended period of time is a bit of a stretch to say the least. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though.

True, however he has played several tournaments on NA size Ice and his game is better suited for it as players can not skate away as easily.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
As far as where KP starts, it could very well be the AHL. Reading the tea leaves in his interviews says as much- he's openly said that he's willing to play in the AHL, which is likely him just parroting what Snow has told him: you need to earn your spot. I think that's a good sign- the kid is showing the willingness to do what he needs to do.

Now, granted Snow probably has a soft spot for Petrov after all these years of courtship. And Petrov should and will be given every opportunity to succeed- having other Russian speakers around will be paramount (hello Kulemin-Grabovski-Petrov) to this, certainly.

And he shouldn't have any trouble beating out Grabner as the 13th forward- the team likely sees this as the scenario that will unfold anyway. If Grabner is traded at the draft, it's pretty obvious where Petrov will be playing this upcoming season.

The Sens skate with local pros Tuesday and Thursday mornings out at the Sensplex starting halfway through July. I'll be back from Spain the third week so hope to catch Petrov there and I'll post some objective observations...

:laugh:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

That is very fair. If everyone is healthy you have to wonder how he slots in as the 12th forward. But then you had CC on the first line for over a month last year...

And then there is the chance another club trades for Kirill. No one is talking that up, but it is entirely possible.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
As far as where KP starts, it could very well be the AHL. Reading the tea leaves in his interviews says as much- he's openly said that he's willing to play in the AHL, which is likely him just parroting what Snow has told him: you need to earn your spot. I think that's a good sign- the kid is showing the willingness to do what he needs to do.

Now, granted Snow probably has a soft spot for Petrov after all these years of courtship. And Petrov should and will be given every opportunity to succeed- having other Russian speakers around will be paramount (hello Kulemin-Grabovski-Petrov) to this, certainly.

And he shouldn't have any trouble beating out Grabner as the 13th forward- the team likely sees this as the scenario that will unfold anyway. If Grabner is traded at the draft, it's pretty obvious where Petrov will be playing this upcoming season.

The Sens skate with local pros Tuesday and Thursday mornings out at the Sensplex starting halfway through July. I'll be back from Spain the third week so hope to catch Petrov there and I'll post some objective observations...

:laugh:

This seems like a good reason to keep him up with the big club, even as a 13th forward. Being on the road in BP with a bunch of young NA kids who don't speak a lick of Russian will not be great for his acclimation. OTOH, having established Russian vets helping him out would be a lot easier.

BroadwayJay*

This seems like a good reason to keep him up with the big club, even as a 13th forward. Being on the road in BP with a bunch of young NA kids who don't speak a lick of Russian will not be great for his acclimation. OTOH, having established Russian vets helping him out would be a lot easier.

On a similar note, with the flood of KHL players I expect to see coming over in the coming years I think we should offer Evgeni Nabakov a coaching/special assistant/whatever position.

You can have as many guys on staff as you want and it never hurts to have more guys like him around, so long as he isn't playing goal anymore. :laugh:

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
On a similar note, with the flood of KHL players I expect to see coming over in the coming years I think we should offer Evgeni Nabakov a coaching/special assistant/whatever position.

You can have as many guys on staff as you want and it never hurts to have more guys like him around, so long as he isn't playing goal anymore. :laugh:

Now that you mention it, I would think Oleg Kvasha would make a fine coach. You'd want his work ethic rubbing off on the kids.

BroadwayJay*

Now that you mention it, I would think Oleg Kvasha would make a fine coach. You'd want his work ethic rubbing off on the kids.

By work ethic you mean he'll be putting cigarette butts out on the arms of the kids, right?

TexMurphyPI

Feb 11, 2003
Would Petrov have to clear waivers to get to the AHL even though he is on an ELC, given his age and professional games experience (Don't know if KHL counts towards Pro games played in terms of waivers)?

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY

I'd love to bring Nabby in as the new goalie coach. Dunham isn't too great at it.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Would Petrov have to clear waivers to get to the AHL even though he is on an ELC, given his age and professional games experience (Don't know if KHL counts towards Pro games played in terms of waivers)?

No, Chicago would lose Pokka in waivers, so why trade for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad